How To: Final Drive Spline Lube

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

How To: Final Drive Spline Lube

Post by DMIntruder »

Since I bought a 97 model year and I have read that this was a year that potentially had inadequate spline lube I thought it best to inspect mine.

This is the first time I have pulled the final drive from any shaft drive bike but after reading the manual and looking over the parts fiche diagram; it didn't look too difficult and it wasn't. Knowing I was going to do this in adavnce I had a new oil seal on hand.

The three nuts holding the drive on the swing arm loosened easily and came right off.

Although I did find that the drive shaft and spline areas had lubrication I was not impressed with the amount. And it certainly did not look like the Moly EP specified. So I put some moly in the spline area and on the end of the drive shaft that goes into the U-joint.

Getting the oil seal out was a bit tough. I must have struggled with the snap ring for 30 minutes with my cheap ass pliers. I was on the verge of getting another set when I found some round nose pliers. The jaws get bigger along the length so they fit perfectly in the snap ring. First try and it was out. This is one part that needs the moly lube, and the part it interconnects with in the last photo.
This part connects into the U-joint at the fore end of the bike.
You can see the oil seal that needs to be removed.

I filled this section with moly grease. Anthing that came out after reassembly was just wiped off. Do NOT forget to install the new oil seal or all of this work is for nothing.

I am glad I did this for peace of mind. I know for sure this will be sufficient and last a long time.

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Re: How To: Final Drive Spline Lube

Post by DMIntruder »

My apologies on this post. I could/should have added much more detail and pictures. Once you get rolling on something it can be hard to stop to take pics. If there are any questions on this procedure I would be glad to answer them.

I plan on pulling the drive on my 88 sometime this fall and will document it better then.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: How To: Final Drive Spline Lube

Post by YoDude »

You guys need to get some of those carb issues! Between them and the battery, they are the two biggest problems with these bikes.
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.