Bobber thoughts... Simplifying...

Aequitas4
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 97 Intruder 1400

Re: Bobber thoughts... Simplifying...

Post by Aequitas4 »

Made a temporary bracket out of an old brake pad piece until I can make something more permanent. We'll see how she holds up. Also noticed my two cables were backwards coming out of the splitter from motion pro were causing twisting and binding. Luckily the splitter is easy to separate and correct.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Aequitas4 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:22 am
Made a temporary bracket out of an old brake pad piece until I can make something more permanent. We'll see how she holds up. Also noticed my two cables were backwards coming out of the splitter from motion pro were causing twisting and binding. Luckily the splitter is easy to separate and correct.
That's a nicely done Bracket Solution there.

I made mine so it is independent of the Bolts for the Front Tank Mounting Bracket.

If you were to reverse this Brake Pad "Plate".....make a cut in it parallel to the splitter, (about in the middle)...bend it down and curve it ,..could you bolt it to one of the Internally Threaded Frame Holes that once were used for the Front Air Box?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I'm curious as to how having the splitter solid mounted to the frame stops the cables going out of sync?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

No one said that having the splitter solid mounted to the frame stops the cables going out of sync.

The Discussion is about solidly mounting the Splitter so as Not To Have It's Own Movements throw off the Carb Sync Balance.
Designer wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:32 pm
Aequitas4 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:35 pm
Does anyone have any information on how people with no front airbox mounted the throttle cables. I've been running with mine hanging loose and would like to see what others have done.
I had heard some folks zip tying it and letting it "hang".
This will prove a mistake in that a lack of a secure mounting of the splitter will negatively affect all the work you do in Synchronization.....right quick
Aequitas4 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:00 am
Yeah. I can definitely confirm that the slack is throwing off the sync :

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:21 am
No one said that having the splitter solid mounted to the frame stops the cables going out of sync.

The Discussion is about solidly mounting the Splitter so as Not To Have It's Own Movements throw off the Carb Sync Balance.
What's the difference?

Seriously - you solid mount the splitter so it doesn't throw off the carb sync - but you're saying no one is saying that??

Honestly - I just want to know why the solid mount of a splitter cable. You see splitter cables all the time on other twin carb arrangements and none of them are solid mounted that I've seen.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I had an early GT550 that had a 3 way splitter that was not solid mounted. I had to set the carbs separate. With 3 sets of points, keeping the bitch in tune was a real pain in the ass.

Points required setting about every 2500 miles and the carbs about every 10,000. I was riding it about 2,000 miles a month.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I guess another option for the splitter would be a BMX brake one:

Yes I realize the ends would need changing, etc.....and the other thing would be if the cable has enough travel though the splitter....but it's a cheap option if you are like tinkering.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:39 pm
Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:21 am
No one said that having the splitter solid mounted to the frame stops the cables going out of sync. The Discussion is about solidly mounting the Splitter so as Not To Have It's Own Movements throw off the Carb Sync Balance.
What's the difference?
There is a difference. Perhaps your word choice could have been different. But,...I'm not going to get into a Semitics argument with you over it.

Suffice it to say,...that Both Aequitas4 and I say the mounting of the splitter is necessary in order to maintain the Carb Balance Settings.
Designer wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:32 pm
Aequitas4 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:35 pm
Does anyone have any information on how people with no front airbox mounted the throttle cables. I've been running with mine hanging loose and would like to see what others have done.
I had heard some folks zip tying it and letting it "hang".
This will prove a mistake in that a lack of a secure mounting of the splitter will negatively affect all the work you do in Synchronization.....right quick
Aequitas4 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:00 am
Yeah. I can definitely confirm that the slack is throwing off the sync :

hillsy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:39 pm
Honestly - I just want to know why the solid mount of a splitter cable. You see splitter cables all the time on other twin carb arrangements and none of them are solid mounted that I've seen.
Those other Splitters are not the same as is on the 1400 Intruder. Even the slightest movements in the Splitter can throw off the Balance. I mentioned just how sensitive the Carb Balance is in this message;
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4139&start=26

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:16 pm

Those other Splitters are not the same as is on the 1400 Intruder. Even the slightest movements in the Splitter can throw off the Balance.
Maybe it's worth replacing then as an upgrade because the OEM one sounds like it's crap.

Aequitas4
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 97 Intruder 1400

Post by Aequitas4 »

I don't think what I said was correct regarding the throttle cables hanging loose throwing off the sync. The sync cable is completely separate from the the throttle cables and shouldn't have been affected. In addition to the throttle cables bouncing around I also noticed the sleeves would sometimes slide out of the splitter and get caught on the edges affecting the throttle. I believe this has caused issues while riding but could have potentially caused issues when I was adjusting the throttle "sync" (probably the wrong term) at different rpm's using my monometer.

Thanks for the extra detail Hillsy. Words matter :tongue:

Would I be correct in assuming that when people talk about doing a carb sync they are only referring to the sync cable to control idle and not the throttle cable adjustments?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Aequitas4 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:09 pm
I don't think what I said was correct regarding the throttle cables hanging loose throwing off the sync. The sync cable is completely separate from the the throttle cables and shouldn't have been affected. In addition to the throttle cables bouncing around I also noticed the sleeves would sometimes slide out of the splitter and get caught on the edges affecting the throttle. I believe this has caused issues while riding but could have potentially caused issues when I was adjusting the throttle "sync" (probably the wrong term) at different rpm's using my monometer.
Aequitas4 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:09 pm
Would I be correct in assuming that when people talk about doing a carb sync they are only referring to the sync cable to control idle and not the throttle cable adjustments?
As you so noted, there are Two "Carb Syncs" to be adjusted. The Idle and at 2000 RPM.

When you mentioned that the Splitter being Unmounted can..."throw things off"....you are Spot On. The Degreed Professional Mechanical Engineers at Suzuki knew that,... when it comes to Maintaining Adjustment(s),...... a solid mounting of anything that is Throttle/Carb Cable is the Best Solution.
There's nothing wrong with the Stock 1400 Splitter,..it works juuuuust fine when mounted As It Is From The Factory. And your Custom-made Splitter Mounting Goes Right Along with that. Simple, quick, effective and inexpensive too...Good work. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Sure beats the heck out of,...buying a bicycle Cable/Splitter,...cutting it to the lengths needed,...finding the exact correct cable ends required for both Carbs and Throttle,....removing the existing Carbs/Cable system to get the Adjusting Barrels needed,...fitting them all on,.....reinstalling it all....Syncing/Balancing it again......PAYING for all that,...when you Already HAVE a Viable, Professionally Engineer-designed, Factory-correct System installed,........doesn't it? :dunno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Sure beats the heck out of,...buying a bicycle Cable/Splitter,...cutting it to the lengths needed,...finding the exact correct cable ends required for both Carbs and Throttle,....removing the existing Carbs/Cable system to get the Adjusting Barrels needed,...fitting them all on,.....reinstalling it all....Syncing/Balancing it again......PAYING for all that,...when you Already HAVE a Viable, Professionally Engineer-designed, Factory-correct System installed,........doesn't it? :dunno:
:funnylast: Says the guy that reckons he uses bicycle brake cables for throttle cables.

I like how you didn't enter into semantics here :clap:

Anyway, looking at the stock splitter the entry cable looks like its not very secure - I'm guessing this was solid mounted on the airbox? The easiest solution is what you have done here....however changing the splitter to one designed to "float" would probably resolve the other problems.