Coyote Gear Gas Tanks

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Coyote Gear Gas Tanks

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

ntruderJ wrote:Don't know if anyone has looked into it, but it looks like BAM makes some options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Gal-6x15-Ce ... mI&vxp=mtr

More on their website...

http://shop.spunaluminumgastanks.com/6- ... ll_c26.htm
Yup.. Been lookin. Lol

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

I think I found this place from another thread on here, but I'm not entirely sure about that.. I like how they have stainless, powder-coating and show you the size and how many gallons it holds.

My wishlist consists of an engine guard, rake kit, and an 8x16 powdercoated black aluminum 5 gallon tank.. :blink:

http://www.aluminumgastanks.net

edit: though tbh it seems a bit odd that one site lists an 8x16 tank and 3.25 gallon while the other lists the exact same dimensions as holding 5...
2nd edit: only thing I can think is one is measuring between the welds, and the other is measuring end to end?
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

5 gallons plus 3.2 in your tank.....just exactly how far do you live from the gas station?? lol.
That's another 35 lbs. sitting behind your front wheel.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

navigator wrote:5 gallons plus 3.2 in your tank.....just exactly how far do you live from the gas station?? lol.
:lmao:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
navigator wrote:5 gallons plus 3.2 in your tank.....just exactly how far do you live from the gas station?? lol.
There are places, in the western states, that are over 150 miles between stations. 100 + miles between gas stops are common. When traveling I always carry an extra gallon, just in case.

One place I gassed up and 30 miles down the road there was a sign sayinG NEXT GAS 110 MILES, had to gas up with only 30 miles on full tank...

Another time I stopped for gas at 120 miles and the power was out, someone had ran into the local electrical substation, no gas available. 60 mile to next station, 70 back to the last one. Completely out of gas 20 miles short of the next station. The extra gallon saved me a long walk.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Herb wrote:
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
There are places, in the western states, that are over 150 miles between stations. 100 + miles between gas stops are common. When traveling I always carry an extra gallon, just in case.

One place I gassed up and 30 miles down the road there was a sign sayinG NEXT GAS 110 MILES, had to gas up with only 30 miles on full tank...

Another time I stopped for gas at 120 miles and the power was out, someone had ran into the local electrical substation, no gas available. 60 mile to next station, 70 back to the last one. Completely out of gas 20 miles short of the next station. The extra gallon saved me a long walk.
Nice save for sure!

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

1. They're "fuelie" tanks, they don't know what your tank holds.
2. lol not far, but if I want to make a 1,000 ride having to stop every other hour whether I feel like it or not can get bothersome. Not to mention it gets annoying having to fill up every other day just tooling around town
3. it's low and close to the center of gravity there.
:hahafinger:

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I'm well aware of the gas situation out west. Been there the last two summers, and we are going back again.
We plan our routes and gas stops accordingly, also been known to fill up again after a 20 mile stint, and carry a fuel bottle.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

navigator wrote:I'm well aware of the gas situation out west. Been there the last two summers, and we are going back again.
We plan our routes and gas stops accordingly, also been known to fill up again after a 20 mile stint, and carry a fuel bottle.
I've carried a gallon of spare gas in the saddle bag, makes it tight for gear.. I pack it to the gills as it is.
Besides the extra weight'll help keep the front wheel on the ground when the missus rides along

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

ntruderJ wrote:I have a 6" Coyote tank mounted on my Intruder. Really about the only decent pic I could find.. pay no attention to big doofus on the bike.

I considered going with 8", but there really isn't much room there. When you hit your brakes the distance between the frame and front tire decreases when the forks compress, I didn't want to chance it hitting a 8" tank.
Curious... Where did you run the fuel line and what type did you use?

ntruderJ
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Vstar 1300t and Intruder 1400

Post by ntruderJ »

The fuel line runs along the right side of the frame, up and then across and is connected to the reserve port of the petcock. I think it was basically 3/8" automotive fuel line.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

ntruderJ wrote:The fuel line runs along the right side of the frame, up and then across and is connected to the reserve port of the petcock. I think it was basically 3/8" automotive fuel line.
Ah.. Ok. I just ran it up along left side of frame bellow tank and to petcock res.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Resurrecting this thread because I am thinking about adding a coyote tank in front of the frame for more range. When you guys ran the fuel line from the auxiliary tank to the reserves on the petcock, what did you do with the reserve outlet on the main tank? Did you just tee both outlets together and run them to the fuel side of the petcock? This would use the entire tank capacity as the primary and the auxiliary tank as the reserves.

Also, how did you mount the tank? I have Suzuki brand crash guards on my '05 S83.
Arthritis sucks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:Resurrecting this thread because I am thinking about adding a coyote tank in front of the frame for more range. When you guys ran the fuel line from the auxiliary tank to the reserves on the petcock, what did you do with the reserve outlet on the main tank? Did you just tee both outlets together and run them to the fuel side of the petcock? This would use the entire tank capacity as the primary and the auxiliary tank as the reserves.

Also, how did you mount the tank? I have Suzuki brand crash guards on my '05 S83.
Hi Forge, Made and fitted one on my 03. With the fuel lines i blanked off the main tank outlet and put the main hose on the reserve.
I routed the reserve hose from the main petcock forward on the left of the tank and connected it to the new hose from the aux tank. I fitted an in line filter which is zip tied to left frame upright so you can see it and below that a non return before a shutoff tap on the tank. I primed the line first but i dont think it was necessary the pump has no trouble sucking fuel up. If i get close to needing resevrve i turn it on for a bit so im sure its working ok then turn it back to main. My tank holds about 5.7 litres it is 160mm x 300mm and it just scapes the front guard on heavy breaking. I put some clear tape on the bottom of the guard to protect it. The only issue with acentre fill tank is the bike must be upright to get it filled :uhh:

Hope that helps :cheers:

[/img]Image
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Forge wrote:Resurrecting this thread because I am thinking about adding a coyote tank in front of the frame for more range. When you guys ran the fuel line from the auxiliary tank to the reserves on the petcock, what did you do with the reserve outlet on the main tank? Did you just tee both outlets together and run them to the fuel side of the petcock? This would use the entire tank capacity as the primary and the auxiliary tank as the reserves.

I capped the ON under tank and ran line from Reserve under tank to ON on the Selector. Then ran line from Aux tank to Reserve on Selector. Mounted on front between Jardine fwds.

Thiessen90
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S83

Post by Thiessen90 »

Sorry to resurrect this thread yet again, but what size tanks did you both use? I notice you mentioned 6". I looked at Coyote Gear and the only two they list are 10"x16" and 8"x16". Thanks.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Thiessen90 wrote:Sorry to resurrect this thread yet again, but what size tanks did you both use? I notice you mentioned 6". I looked at Coyote Gear and the only two they list are 10"x16" and 8"x16". Thanks.
They used to list a 6" tank on their website. I don't know if they don't make them anymore, or if you called and requested it if they'd be able to make one. I have looked around and seen other sites that offer a 6" tank. Try searching for "fuelie" tanks. Usually custom made for older style hotrod pickup trucks to mount in the bed behind the cab, or even over the front bumper in that nostalgic style of drag cars.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Thiessen90
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S83

Post by Thiessen90 »

Thanks guys, I was able to locate some other tanks as well. I will have to see what I decide to do for the long term. First I'm going to ride and see how everything feels.