Tall rider questions

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Tall rider questions

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Herb wrote:I am 5'8" and there I would like to move the bars farther forward on mine. Trouble is that the 99 has the wiring inside the bars, this limits the bar movement. My 87 had the wiring outside the bars and I was able to push the bars forward to a much more comfortable position
I had the same issue with the stock bars. To move them forward just pull the wires out and then use a dremal to grind out he wireing holes towards the front of the bars. A 1/4 extra will move the bars 2 inches forward. I did it and have not had any issues.
Problem is that moving the bars forward puts things out of whack for the controls on the outer parts of the bars, then the same thing has to be done out there.

Not comfortable with doing anything that might weaken the bars, cutting out holes around the bars seems to me to weaken the bars.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Herb wrote:
sgtcall wrote:
Herb wrote:I am 5'8" and there I would like to move the bars farther forward on mine. Trouble is that the 99 has the wiring inside the bars, this limits the bar movement. My 87 had the wiring outside the bars and I was able to push the bars forward to a much more comfortable position
I had the same issue with the stock bars. To move them forward just pull the wires out and then use a dremal to grind out he wireing holes towards the front of the bars. A 1/4 extra will move the bars 2 inches forward. I did it and have not had any issues.
Problem is that moving the bars forward puts things out of whack for the controls on the outer parts of the bars, then the same thing has to be done out there.

Not comfortable with doing anything that might weaken the bars, cutting out holes around the bars seems to me to weaken the bars.
In theory it would weaken them some amount, but if the modded area remains under the clamped area, it is reinforced adequately I should think. Another option is a remove the wires and let them live outside, and you then enjoy unlimited positioning of your bars.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Even if you pull the wires and leave them outside the bars you would have to grind the nubs off the risers. When you grind out the holes you can still adjust the position of the clutch and break. The switches are a bit different but not in a bad location and it is just like getting used to a new bike. After a few hours you will not notice it. The other plus to grinding the bars and not the risers is that if the bars do slip backward they will stop at the original position. Without the nubs they could fall all the way back. But just so you know my bars have never slipped.

theMKoi
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by theMKoi »

I picked up some 1" tubing and I will be making some z- bars soon. I will keep you all updated with some pics soon.

Thanks for all the input. :bow:
Thanks,

Matt

'97 Intruder 1400

:hahafinger:

Thor
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 VS 1400

Post by Thor »

I'm 6ft 4in. I put Refined Cycle's FC4 forward controls on.. they're 7 inch. They make a world of difference.. I'm looking at Biltwell Keystones for handlebars. They seem to be spec'd a lot like my stock bars except a lot less pull-back, I think that'll help with the reach.. just food for thought... [emoji41]

theMKoi
Tricycles are Cool

Post by theMKoi »

So I haven't posted on here for a while...

I had the Z-bars cut and ready to be tacked up but then I tor the bike down and rebuilt a frame.
Thanks,

Matt

'97 Intruder 1400

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Is that stock rake and frame made taller in front? Around 10 over tubes? :putput:

theMKoi
Tricycles are Cool

Post by theMKoi »

old time rider wrote:Is that stock rake and frame made taller in front? Around 10 over tubes? :putput:
Yes stock rake with 8" over tubes.

I went up 6" on the down tubes and about 4" out on the new double backbone.
Thanks,

Matt

'97 Intruder 1400