I have a tick/rattle

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Re: I have a tick/rattle

Post by wj_hurd »

So I did the oil change... Got Rotella T-15w40 and a new K&N oil filter.

Engine is smooth as glass now. Not a tick or rattle. :putput:

So I would had to sat the the T6 5w40 is a little too thin for the engine, and it shows it with a couple of rattle. I'll be riding her all week to and from work, so if anything else shows up, I'll post it. :HatTip:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:So I did the oil change... Got Rotella T-15w40 and a new K&N oil filter.

Engine is smooth as glass now. Not a tick or rattle. :putput:

So I would had to sat the the T6 5w40 is a little too thin for the engine, and it shows it with a couple of rattle. I'll be riding her all week to and from work, so if anything else shows up, I'll post it. :HatTip:
It's not so much the viscosity, but the fact it's synthetic. Synthetic oil tends to stay more fluid. I've seen new leaks form when switching to synthetic, that weren't there with dino.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

The leakiness is partly that synthetic can dissolve the goo of ancient oil that has partially sealed otherwise dried up gaskets. Remove the goo, and the spent gasket cannot hold back that nice liquidy oil. And out it dribbles. But modern gasket technology is such that shrinkage and hardening is not what it used to be, so switching late to synthetic should not cause that much trouble. Hard to say where we are in the Intruder world with respect to modern gaskets though. I can say I've used synthetic on occasion in my 96, and other than the fact that my bike just prefers dino oil, it's been no trouble. Actually I think what the bike really likes is spanking new and fresh oil above anything else.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Well its back... It comes back when the bike is up to temp and idling. :bang: :bonk:
I'll have to take a video and try to capture the sound.
I don't know if this is normal, bad or what. It has never gotten worse, but when the bike is cool, there is no tick. It occurred all the time with the T6 5W40 oil. It sounds like its coming from the front jug.

Do the timing chains slap and make noise?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:Well its back... It comes back when the bike is up to temp and idling. :bang: :bonk:
I don't know if this is normal, bad or what. It has never gotten worse, but when the bike is cool, there is no tick. It occurred all the time with the T6 5W40 oil. It sounds like its coming from the front jug.

Only if the tensioner is broken.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

enforcer wrote:
wj_hurd wrote:Well its back... It comes back when the bike is up to temp and idling. :bang: :bonk:

If that was the case... I'd have bigger issues than just a rattle right?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:
enforcer wrote:

If that was the case... I'd have bigger issues than just a rattle right?
No, like I stated earlier in the thread, it's annoying, but not extremely serious. If you're sure that's it, it's a complete top end tear down to fix it.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Items 1,4,21,20 tend to wear and cause a tapping sound, when the oil is thick, it dulls the sound, when it thins the sound becomes more pronounced. I cant see if they have bushings but Suzuki manual has a wear measurement as to when they should be replaced.

Grow old disgracefully young man.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Thank you all for the input and feedback... :HatTip:
So lets get to brass tacks.... Is this or will this be an issue? Or will this be like the old Chrysler 2.2 4 cylinders with the wrist pin rattle that will never go away or be an issue? Is this a typical Suzuki quirk that I must accept? :OhNo;
Because if this is an engine tear down... I want to be prepared for this come winter for a major repair or dump this bike ASAP.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Can't say for sure but it appears that all the Intruders develop this noise. My '85 750 has been rattling in the top end front since I got her 6 years ago, she has been red lined many many times and still keeps on kicking.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Lechy wrote:Can't say for sure but it appears that all the Intruders develop this noise. My '85 750 has been rattling in the top end front since I got her 6 years ago, she has been red lined many many times and still keeps on kicking.

[emoji41]
I'll keep my eye/ears on it and if it worsens I'll do something... But its good to know its common.
I'll keep the 15W40 oil in her and it certainly is not as pronounced as it was when I was running the 5W40 T-6.

Thanks Lechy!

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

after re-re-rechecking, I've got the same kind of noise. front jug top seem to have a slight tap, nothing in the rear. nothing serious (I did listen to it with a piece of metal tube to make sure I'm not mistaken.) I'm running 5w40 T-6 too.

What's better: very good lubrication inducing some tapping noise OR normal lubrication without the noise (Dino rotella T)?... personnaly, ill stay with the t6 since I'm not ''nice'' with the bike and use lot of WOT and hit the rev limiter every time I use it.
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

hurleyfrank wrote:after re-re-rechecking, I've got the same kind of noise. front jug top seem to have a slight tap, nothing in the rear. nothing serious (I did listen to it with a piece of metal tube to make sure I'm not mistaken.) I'm running 5w40 T-6 too.

What's better: very good lubrication inducing some tapping noise OR normal lubrication without the noise (Dino rotella T)?... personnaly, ill stay with the t6 since I'm not ''nice'' with the bike and use lot of WOT and hit the rev limiter every time I use it.
Synthetic isn't better, it just lasts longer. I have run Rotella T for years with no issues. The bike loves it and no leaks ever developed. And I ride hard often, just to shake the cobwebs loose.

Lesardo
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder1400

Post by Lesardo »

I was having that problem thought it was the hydronic lifters but it was actually the exhaust valve staying stuck open when starting. Watch the cable that moves when you start the bike it is right by the front spark plug it should move back after started.