Tire size question

Jvogt89
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 01 suzuki intruder vs1400

Tire size question

Post by Jvogt89 »

So was just wanting some opinions. I need new tires and was talking with a buddy...does anyone know anywhere I can buy tires that will fit a stock 01 1400. Sits I'm looking at is a 120/80 front or a 120/90 if anyone can tell me if it will fit the front 19 rim without modding, if not then a 120/70. And for the rear I'm looking for a 180/80.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Tire size question

Post by jonnycando »

Not every model of tire is available in our size range, but quite a few are. Check most any motorcycle parts website and they will let you search tires by bike so you see all the ones that fit. All VS1400's used the same sizes as stock, and I wouldn't go up more than one size lest it invite clearance issues.

The stock sizes are 110/70-19 front and 170/80-15 rear. If you go wider on the front you might get more ponderous steering. If you go taller it might besides hitting the fender get more twitchy steering. Clearance wise there is just not quite enough room to do much different. But you could scare up a front wheel from a VS800 which is 20 inches, but the whole tire and wheel package is the same height as ours. So it's basically a low profile version of what we have and many say that is good way to go.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

How many years of the 800 had a 21 front?They look good and only bike I ever owned with one was my first year softtail 1984 FXST. Only down about them is if you ever cross rail road tracks at a angle or any thing wider than the 21 they can go down in it.So can any like a 19 but they seem so much wider than a 21.They never wore good for me.Cjeap or high price if 10,000 was the best.They seem to catch all the sun rays and look so good doing it. [emoji106]

Jvogt89
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 01 suzuki intruder vs1400

Post by Jvogt89 »

jonnycando wrote:Not every model of tire is available in our size range, but quite a few are. Check most any motorcycle parts website and they will let you search tires by bike so you see all the ones that fit. All VS1400's used the same sizes as stock, and I wouldn't go up more than one size lest it invite clearance issues.

The stock sizes are 110/70-19 front and 170/80-15 rear. If you go wider on the front you might get more ponderous steering. If you go taller it might besides hitting the fender get more twitchy steering. Clearance wise there is just not quite enough room to do much different. But you could scare up a front wheel from a VS800 which is 20 inches, but the whole tire and wheel package is the same height as ours. So it's basically a low profile version of what we have and many say that is good way to go.
OK so pretty much want to stay stock sizes? If so what are some good onestuff that won't break the bank? Saw a thread on here but not sure how up to date it is. I just don't like the feel of the bridgestones. Leaning through a turn any little dip in the road makes the rear feel like it's swaying.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I have used Pirelli MT66's on two bikes, of which my Intruder is the second and they handle superbly, and wear extremely wel and are nicely pricedl. 10000 miles out of my first set! The current set I have has 3000 on them now and they look new. I also hear Shinko's are pretty good and reasonably priced too. I think you will be pleased with stock sizes, so long as the tire itself it good. If you can possibly do it, replace both tires at one time even if one has life left in it. It's so worth the confident handling and super nice ride.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

[emoji106]

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:American Moto Tire is a good place for online purchases. Cheap tires, fresh dates, and fast shipping.

Plus, the front OE size is 110/90-19. Not 110/70-19.
Make sure you shop local small businesses as well. I found a place that, as long as I take them the rims, they mount and balance for free if you buy their tires.

Food for thought.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

I got the Avon 170/80/15 for the rear, looks great, handles very well. I still have the stock Dunlop on the front but will be changing it.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I am running the Shinko tour master 100/90 on the front of my 1400. The last one I got about18,000 miles out of it. The stock size is 110 but the 100 runs almost as many miles and gives me a little faster/lighter steering, without being twitchy, and it is a little less expensive. I am running the Avid Envigor 195/65, car tire, on the rear, it is good for about 20,000.
On my GS1100Gk I am running the Shinko Tour Master 100/90x19 on the front and the Tour Master 130/90x18 on the rear, got 9,000 on the last one.
The Shinkos provide good handling in both wet and dry conditions, at the lowest cost I have found.
Great tire at a great price.
Friday before last I was in northern oregon riding with my son on the mountain roads outside Portland. I was cornering at better than 30 mph above the marked speeds, more than fast enough that I was dragging pipes and hard parts. Both tires performed flawlessly.
While I could not keep up with my son's Hayabusa, straights or corners, for a 1400, with over 200,000 miles, it did quite well. My son didn't have to spend too much time waiting for me.
I have ran many different tires on my 2 1400's since I bought my first 1400 in 1989. The Shinkos perform as well as any that I have had on them.
I reccommend the Shinko tires, both for performance and cost.
An example of the rear tire.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/61 ... -rear-tire
front tire
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/61 ... front-tire
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I know this is a old topic but I am looking for new tires and wanted to know what everyone else likes.

I do have questions.

Do you really need to put new tubes in with every set of tires? Why or why not?

Also what about he the rim strips? Do those need to be replaced with new tires?

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

I think when it comes to tubes and rim strips it depends on age and condition. If you go past say five years, then yeah, I would go with a new tube. Rims strips usually last much longer, and if the inside of the rim is clean and rust free, then usually the rim strips stays in good condition.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

When I pull a tube out I check the area around the valve stem for any dry rot. If you pull on the tube and the stem and any cracks show, replace the tube. If you have any crease in the tube, replace the tube. As long as there are no tears or splits in the rim strip, reuse it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=3835

I'm still running these Kenda tires. I'm just a hair over 10,000 miles and they still run great for me.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Spacecoast and Herb,
Thank you for the replies.

And for everyone,
Since I am taking the bike to have the new tires put on are there any suggestions for other maintenance that needs to be done while the rear wheel is off?

I remember something about the swing arm but can't remember exactly what. Just thought I could save a little time and money if I have the shop take care of any extras in the area of the rear wheel since they will already have it off.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

It wouldn't hurt to pull the final drive off and force some grease in on the driveshaft splines and grease the splines where the wheel fits to the final drive.

I also change the final drive grease every tire change.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I agree on greasing the driveshaft splines, use a grease such as 80% Molybdenum (Moly 80).
Moly 80 on the wheel splines as well.
I also change the gear lube yearly.

VictourGlP1400
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by VictourGlP1400 »

If you want to try what happened to me and caused me to hate tube tires forever, I am not sure what happened. I was passing a Semi on a 2 lane highway half awake going to work, doing 80mph felt the rear tire go flat as I cleared him. pulled back into my lane and the tube came out of the rim an wrapped around the chain locking the rear wheel. the bike started swapping each side of the lane almost going down on its side. finally got it stopped without getting killed. the Semi driver pulled over behind me. said he was a Biker and that I made a great save and he was watching my back. Told him thanks. Never reuse an older tube. the life you save could be yours.!!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

VictourGlP1400 wrote:If you want to try what happened to me and caused me to hate tube tires forever, I am not sure what happened. I was passing a Semi on a 2 lane highway half awake going to work, doing 80mph felt the rear tire go flat as I cleared him. pulled back into my lane and the tube came out of the rim an wrapped around the chain locking the rear wheel. the bike started swapping each side of the lane almost going down on its side. finally got it stopped without getting killed. the Semi driver pulled over behind me. said he was a Biker and that I made a great save and he was watching my back. Told him thanks. Never reuse an older tube. the life you save could be yours.!!
Yeah, I had a tire blow out in rush hour traffic, right where 2 freeways come together, WITH A BRAND NEW TUBE. Never did figure out what happened. When I got the bike home I checked the tube over and the only thing wrong with it was the valve stem was still in the rim, the metal part had pulled out of the tube.

Personally, I don't ever want to have another bike with tube type tires.