Cross roads on bikes

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Cross roads on bikes

Post by DMIntruder »

So I now have my 88 running better than it has since I have owned it. After pulling the carbs, re-adjusting the throttle cables properly, and sync it is a totally different Beast. I really don't see ever parting with this bike, but it needs some stuff done for me to really feel good about it. I can live with the color, but the wiring harness is a complete mess. The PO or PO's did something it making it a complete nightmare. The connectors for the stator and many other plugs are just gone. There is a large taped up section that contains these connections via spade lugs. I would love to install a new wiring harness but getting the mates for the other components could be tough.

One option is to strip it all down and see what all connectors are missing then try to find dead parts to just salvage the connectors from. This could be a long time consuming process. The wiring harness itself is $228.

The other issue is funding this project. I just bought the 97 and got it running properly. One of my reasons for buying this bike was being on the fence about keeping the 88. Now that I have decided to keep it, do I really need the 97? No, I don't. But selling it to fund the 88 restore also means not having a bike to ride for x number of weeks/months.

I really did like the space I had in the garage when I was down to 1 bike. The motorcycle market isn't too good for selling them right now, plus I would most likely take a loss on selling the 97.

Pretty much just rambling but I welcome the opinions of others.

DMIntruder

Re: Cross roads on bikes

Post by DMIntruder »

Yes, it is an option, but finding the mating connectors is still an issue. Plus I really want it done right and the factory harness is the way to go to accomplish that. Besides only by replacing the harness do I ensure that every connection and wire is correct, not pinched, scuffed, etc.

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

After studying the wiring diagram some more, it may only be 2-3 connectors that I would need to find mates for. I know the stator is one. Without actually tearing my current harness apart I really won't know for sure. Everything under the passenger seat is still there. It is primarily the connectors under the ride seat.

I wish that wiring diagram had each connector labeled as to what it is for....

Here is what the mess looks like.

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

Oh jeeze!

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

This diagrams?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Jolsen wrote:This diagrams?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
No, I was referring to this diagram.