Designer High Performance Clutch Springs

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Designer High Performance Clutch Springs

Post by YoDude »

As an advocate for the Designer Clutch Springs I can attest that these babies are the works of the Gods when it comes to advocating! No shit! Designer has proven his springs work over 700 times (maybe 1000x by now). Just do it!! All thanks to Ed! [emoji106] :clap: :cheers: :rock:

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

A truly practical and excellent upgrade. Results revelatory!

Mrgimpy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 99 Intruder Trike

Post by Mrgimpy »

How much do these cost and how hard are they to install? I rode today and was having issues getting out of neutral from shifting down from second to first.

Mrgimpy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 99 Intruder Trike

Post by Mrgimpy »

Yeah I need an oil change. I didn't know that affected the clutch. I'll probably do that this coming week.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Well the clutch and shifter too, everything is bathing in the same bath on these bikes!

La Bestia
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 99 Intruder 1400

Post by La Bestia »

Hello guys!

I'm new to this Forum but not to my lovely 99 1400 intruder. Living in Dubai and finding parts is quite challenging for which I always order through the internet and shipped over here. Since quite sometime noticed the clutch is slipping while accelerating in 5th or even 4th gear (others seems fine) and was thinking of replacing the clutch discs until read this forum and found it might be just about replacing the springs.

As I'm new I'm not supposed to reach Designer neither by PM or email... and really want to get hold on a set of springs. I'm been working in changing the bike to a bobber style and love the result (might be posting some pictures in another forum here), but the clutch issue kills a bit of the joy to ride this powerful machine...

Help please! what else should I do to reach Designer?

Thanks

Juan

La Bestia
Tricycles are Cool

Post by La Bestia »

Hi Keith

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get a reply from Designer!

:bow:

Cheers

Juan

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

La Bestia wrote:Hi Keith Thanks so much! Can't wait to get a reply from Designer!

:bow: Cheers Juan
Hi Bestia!

Welcome to this Most August Motorcycling Board.

I just sent you an E-mail about getting what you need. [emoji106]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

La Bestia
Tricycles are Cool

Post by La Bestia »

Dear Designer

Many thanks for your reply and will discuss further through email.

All the best!

Juan

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Ha Ha...Another happy rider! :rock:

Yo-

Gorsky
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 VS1400

Post by Gorsky »

I concur.
Best. Upgrade. Ever.

I live in Montreal, Canada, and despite the exchange rate very not in my favor, and the more expensive shipping, it was well worth it.

Thanks Designer!

:bow:

Beaverblaster
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1995 intruder 1400

Post by Beaverblaster »

Hello, I'm new and just registered on here. I can't pm for the springs. Any other way to contact? My email is xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com thanks.
Off Topic
For your privacy, I've removed your email address.

Yo-

matt1400
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 suzi intruder 1400

Post by matt1400 »

Hey guys

Im over here in australia with the same problem with my 1400 can someone please let designer know to contact me so i can get hooked up im sick of the clutch slip ! Thanks in advance

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Does Designer cut n paste those things?
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I dunno but he sure sells a lot of springs! Maybe not as many as he did on IA, but I think that'll change in time! :bow:

Yo-

La Bestia
Tricycles are Cool

Post by La Bestia »

Hello guys,

finally managed to replace the springs this weekend on my '99 1400 and have to say they put a smile on my face when finally pull the accelerator while on 4th and 5th and the bike respond immediately without slipping! what a great fix! Thanks designer!

Just a few things experienced which would like to share with those about to replace:

- As we already note (if you have read other post about this process) you will need to remove the bracket which hold the control pegs and the side stand and while doing so, will need either to secure the bike on a vertical position (ideal!) or at least have a pal to help you while holding it which I did and still not an issue.
- Once you remove the bracket and exhaust remove the cover and then can reinstall the bracket quickly so the bike (and your pal) can rest while you replace the springs. Once done I removed the bracket again to reinstall the clutch cover.
- The pain in the a** was to sort the exhaust while removing the bracket and somehow managed to do it but the real even more painful process was reinstalling... unfortunately printed a few scratches on the exhaust as bear in mind this and the bracket are a bit heavy specially if doing this on your own (remember my pal was holding the bike for me). After a frustrating few minutes I realize the easy solution to avoid this problem is to remove the gear shifting rod which connects to the pedal (other left side); just remove this before starting and reinstall after completion; it is easy and will give you better clearance to move the bracket without messing to much with the exhaust (which you will also need to remove to access the clutch cover bolts, but easier to handle one by one).
- Other than the issue with the exhaust the other recommendation is to buy a new gasket and better to replace... although mine was perfect when removed the cover, still replacing a new one is always better... secure no leaks and trust me paying a few bucks (I purchased from ebay for around 10-15 US and free shipping) is much better than what the time process you will need to add if after assembling you discover a leak, then remove all again!!
- One thing is that as one can expect pressing the clutch lever gets harder but not an issue.

Other than this it can be done with lots of patience, good music and a cold beer!

Once again thanks to designer for the springs and to Keith for facilitating the contact,

Cheers guys!

Juan

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

Good advice, about the same thing in my experience.

I would add ONE thing. DO NOT replace the gasket by RTV or wathever gasket in a tube you find: the gasket is the clearance needed by the shafts and things in the engine. I did it once and it wasn't nice.
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

The extra clutch lever effort is really a matter of muscle memory. For once you get use to it, the bike may sit all winter but your clutch hand will feel perfectly fine even after those months.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

hurleyfrank wrote:Good advice, about the same thing in my experience.

I would add ONE thing. DO NOT replace the gasket by RTV or whatever gasket in a tube you find: the gasket is the clearance needed by the shafts and things in the engine. I did it once and it wasn't nice.
Quite correct,..... and thanks for making this a point to know. :bow:

I Re-use the Stock Cover Sealing Gasket applying Form-A-Gasket (or equivalent sealer) to each side of the gasket and have never had any problems.

With a careful prying removal of the cover, ( there are two 'tabs' on the Chrome Cover to use as a prying point to separate it from the Engine Block) the Gasket most often comes of undamaged.

Even if there is a a tear in the 'paper' of the gasket, the sealer has sealed it every time. So,.....No Worries Mate! [emoji106]

Just to know, the Standing Oil Level of a fully-filled 1400/1500 Engine is only about 1 inch above the bottom-most edge of the Chrome Cover. Meaning that about 85% of the Gasket is a seal for only splashing Oil when the Engine is running, not a Always-Oil-immersed seal.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

wwonka
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: SV1400

Post by wwonka »

I just installed a pair of Designers springs and I gotta say I am loving my sv1400 even more now.
its amazing how much more responsive the bike is when you twist the throttle.

Thanks and Peace