Drag pipes and poor performance

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Drag pipes and poor performance

Post by Herb »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
vanhalenarmy wrote:Man Fred, you sure have a history on this forum (and the original IA forum) of being a good ol'fashioned dick. Congratulations are in order. You deserve it, be proud.
But anyways, you have a good one. Enjoy riding your high horse, air must be nice up there. Good day.
He does. You don't. No offense, I'll take the word of someone I know to be full of shit over the word of someone I don't know at all. :hahafinger: At least with Fred I know I can try and follow what he's done and go back if it doesn't work for me the way I want. All you're doing is shitposting about what you claim someone else did for you, but you don't have the first fucking clue what it was. :cheers: come back when you find some respect.
Freddie has been wrong on almost EVERYTHING he has entered into, yet you would take his advice over someone else's???

freddie still believes that the carbs on the 1400s have a transition circuit in the off idle acceleration when the transition circuit is in the deceleration phase.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Herb wrote:
Prodigal_Sun wrote:
vanhalenarmy wrote:Man Fred, you sure have a history on this forum (and the original IA forum) of being a good ol'fashioned dick. Congratulations are in order. You deserve it, be proud.
But anyways, you have a good one. Enjoy riding your high horse, air must be nice up there. Good day.
He does. You don't. No offense, I'll take the word of someone I know to be full of shit over the word of someone I don't know at all. :hahafinger: At least with Fred I know I can try and follow what he's done and go back if it doesn't work for me the way I want. All you're doing is shitposting about what you claim someone else did for you, but you don't have the first fucking clue what it was. :cheers: come back when you find some respect.
Freddie has been wrong on almost EVERYTHING he has entered into, yet you would take his advice over someone else's???

freddie still believes that the carbs on the 1400s have a transition circuit in the off idle acceleration when the transition circuit is in the deceleration phase.
I didn't say I'd take his advice, I said I'd take his word. Splitting hairs I know, but words have meaning or everything is meaningless. It's up to me to research further into whether what he's saying is correct or not.

Have you never taken an ASE certification style test before?

Tech A claims: the transition circuit on the 1400 is in the off idle acceleration phase.
Tech B claims: the transition circuit on the 1400 is in the deceleration phase.

Who is correct,
A) Tech A
B) Tech B
C) Both Techs A and B are correct
D) Both Techs A and B are incorrect

They have thousands of questions styled like that, it randomly picks a hundred and you don't have to get them all right, they don't even tell you which ones you got wrong, they just tell you if you pass or fail.

Just because someone is full of it doesn't mean I'm no longer responsible for knowing what I'm talking about.

And yes. Even if he's wrong he's at least posting information, which is better than 'I put some noisy pipes on my bike that I paid someone to do something or other on and now it sounds bitchin!' Again. It's not an insult. Not everyone has the time or inclination to learn every single nut bolt and wire of what they ride, but don't try and put down someone who's trying to even if they're an idiot [emoji106]
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
Herb wrote:
Prodigal_Sun wrote:

I didn't say I'd take his advice, I said I'd take his word. Splitting hairs I know, but words have meaning or everything is meaningless. It's up to me to research further into whether what he's saying is correct or not.

Have you never taken an ASE certification style test before?

Tech A claims: the transition circuit on the 1400 is in the off idle acceleration phase.
Tech B claims: the transition circuit on the 1400 is in the deceleration phase.

Who is correct,
A) Tech A
B) Tech B
C) Both Techs A and B are correct
D) Both Techs A and B are incorrect

They have thousands of questions styled like that, it randomly picks a hundred and you don't have to get them all right, they don't even tell you which ones you got wrong, they just tell you if you pass or fail.

Just because someone is full of it doesn't mean I'm no longer responsible for knowing what I'm talking about.

And yes. Even if he's wrong he's at least posting information, which is better than 'I put some noisy pipes on my bike that I paid someone to do something or other on and now it sounds bitchin!' Again. It's not an insult. Not everyone has the time or inclination to learn every single nut bolt and wire of what they ride, but don't try and put down someone who's trying to even if they're an idiot [emoji106]
Sorry dude, but posting incorrect information is NOT better than "I put some noisy pipes on my bike that I paid someone to do something or other on and now it sounds bitchin!" It is the same fucking thing!!!! Incorrect information is still putting people in the wrong direction.

As for, "I put some noisy pipes on my bike that I paid someone to do something or other on and now it sounds bitchin!" Maybe the dude is correct. Maybe the person he had work on the bike knew what he was doing or even accidentally got everything correct. freddie doing his put down of everything someone else says is one of the reasons that there is very little conversation on the tech boards. No one wants to get in a pissing contest with a person that knows just enough to cause trouble and refuses to go by facts when they are presented.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

I graduated top of my class with a Technological degree from a school that's nationally accredited (in the US). I know enough to glaze over :bs: but I'm not going to silence someone for being wrong either.

I took a t/f online quiz about engines and for the fun of it tried to get every question wrong. I ended up getting one right on accident, and honestly, I'd still have argued that a steam engine is fueled by water not coal. Fire is what heats the water to release the energy in it. You don't say that cars are fueled by their spark plugs... The point is if someone is wrong that often, it's probably on purpose. :HatTip: I think he's clearly trolling you all.

Semper Caveat Emptor :HatTip:
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Boy these transition jets are really getting up you Herb. There is a jet system that works along with the idle circuit, Ive told you this many times now go out in your shed or what ever you have and take off one carb . Look down the venturi and just after the butterfly you will see 3 tine holes that uncover as the butterfly opens. These are transition jets that take the engine over idle to a speed where vacuum can lift the diaphragm..

Get off you ares and go and look instead of sitting there telling people they don't exist.

Its called transition as it transits the engine from idle to needle.The Harleys use a pump consiquently the idle jet is very important needing to supply fuel to the the transition and idle. You really do not a have fucking clue. Im not telling you this again.

The other system that you are confused with is the coasting enrichment that we all know about.

You are just stubborn and if you don't know then it does not exist.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb - do you actually have any mechanical certification to make these accusations about me being wrong about almost everything.

You have told us on another thread that you are a transgender ex military!!! And that you live a meager life on a Gov pension.

What authority do you feel you have to say Im wrong about everything. I understand you being angry with the world for what you have --who would'nt but slagging any one and everything is just grumpy old man shit.

I had a RR apprenticeship and spent 7 years at technical college and was the service manager for Renault for the entire UAE. After that I was Transport manager for the American Sea land shipping 375 chassis and 40 trucks, god knows how many cars , gens ,cranes, 4 wheel, etc etc.

In my retirement I prepared bikes for Castrol racing Malaysia and you say Im wrong about every thing!!!

When the first Renault 20 arrived in UAE there was a problem with exhaust resionation , I had to make an adjustment under warranty of my own design. I informed Renault of the modification and subsequent delivery's had my modification.

And yet you a hetro sexual transgender what ever say im wrong about everything.

I put it to you Herb that you don't even understand what it is that I am talking about.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:Herb - do you actually have any mechanical certification to make these accusations about me being wrong about almost everything.

You have told us on another thread that you are a transgender ex military!!! And that you live a meager life on a Gov pension.

What authority do you feel you have to say Im wrong about everything. I understand you being angry with the world for what you have --who would'nt but slagging any one and everything is just grumpy old man shit.

I had a RR apprenticeship and spent 7 years at technical college and was the service manager for Renault for the entire UAE. After that I was Transport manager for the American Sea land shipping 375 chassis and 40 trucks, god knows how many cars , gens ,cranes, 4 wheel, etc etc.

In my retirement I prepared bikes for Castrol racing Malaysia and you say Im wrong about every thing!!!

When the first Renault 20 arrived in UAE there was a problem with exhaust resionation , I had to make an adjustment under warranty of my own design. I informed Renault of the modification and subsequent delivery's had my modification.

And yet you a hetro sexual transgender what ever say im wrong about everything.

I put it to you Herb that you don't even understand what it is that I am talking about.
I can read the manual. Page 5-9 explains what the transition system is, and how it works. Maybe you need to learn to read.

The holes you are talking about are part of the slow system for normal operation. AGAIN, the information is in the Suzuki manual, that is pinned at the top of this forum, on page 5-9.

Since you can't even get the basic operation of the carb correct, I don't trust ANYTHING you say.

While you have been correct on a couple of things, you have been wrong more often than not. On top of that you attack anyone that posts something you disagree with, EVEN when they could be or are correct.

I have been maintaining ALL of my vehicles since 1962. And for a large number of years I never owned a car with less than 100,000 miles on it and most of my bikes were high mileage used bikes.

Except for the first service on my 87 1400, I performed all maintenance on it for over 154,000 miles. I have performed all maintenance on the 99 for over 200,000 miles. Well over 350,000 miles total and 28 years. The 99 is still on the road. I started it and took it out for a short run of 160 miles today. It started a little hard, but the temp was 28 F when I left. So, yeah, I know about the 1400 and how it works.

All of your "certifications" are just so much BS when you don't even have a grasp of the basic operation of a carb. ESPECIALLY since I have provided you with the correct information, at least, twice.

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

Post by dwd58 »

From what I have seen online, the DK inserts seem to be the way to go. What size do we need with our Cobra drag pipes on the 1400 ? I think I will give this a shot. Great thread guys!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Re: dead rear cylinder... now what?
Postby Forge » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:12 am

Those transition ports that you blew out can make a major difference in driveability. I don’t know if you did already, but check your air filters. The oem are foam that has a tendency to break down over time and can plug up the air jets. The filters are often neglected and should be checked regularly.
L'Chayim! To Life! :cheers:

Every one knows about them but you. The manual does not talk about the transition or transfer jets.

So you read a manual and know all about it!! Just because you maintain your own vehicle GEEEEEZUZ :bang: Thats
is some arrogance you got there.

Quote The holes you are talking about are part of the slow system for normal operation Quote. :clap: Thats right the fucking transition jets.

They uncover as the butterfly opens feeding more fuel into the engine from off Idle.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The exact wording of the manual...

"Slow system
This system supplies fuel during engine operation with the throttle valve closed or slightly opened. The fuel from the float chamber is first passed and metered by the pilot jet where it mixes with air coming in through the pilot air jet.
This mixture, rich with fuel, then goes up through pilot pipe to pilot screw. A part of the mixture is discharged into the main bore out ot the by-pass ports. The remainder is then metered by pilot screw and sprayed out into the main bore through pilot outlet."

The drawing of the carb, that is below the text shows the ports (jets?) you are talking about on the DOWNSTREAM side of the throttle plate.

I have had these carbs apart more than once, and the drawing is CORRECT.

When the throttle is opened the vacuum drops and the slow speed circuit no longer has any real effect on the mixture. According to Mikuni, the slow speed circuit is out of the mixture by the time the throttle is about one-quarter of the way open.

Again, try reading and understanding the manual.

BTW, I spent 30 years in the Marine Corps, as an aircraft tech. I really did learn to use the manuals. One of the first things I was taught about manuals is ALWAYS use them. NEVER rely on memory or someone else's word about how things work.

When I worked in QA I had to inspect work that I had never performed, I always used the manuals to ensure that the work had been performed properly. So, yeah I really do use manuals, I also use a torque wrench when the manual tells me to.

The most important part of any manual is the Principals of Operation.

You really should take the time to learn how things work.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

That is not exactly true, the idle mix is always in the equation as fuel is always drawn in. Its not turned off is it?

But hey ,--we have made a break through here at least you now know where the transition jets are and not the transient enrichment system that you thought It was. TRANSIENT --TRANSITION--- not same word is it.

I have no intention of hammering my head any more trying to teach you.

You are a typical amateur assuming everything is simple.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:That is not exactly true, the idle mix is always in the equation as fuel is always drawn in. Its not turned off is it?

But hey ,--we have made a break through here at least you now know where the transition jets are and not the transient enrichment system that you thought It was. TRANSIENT --TRANSITION--- not same word is it.

I have no intention of hammering my head any more trying to teach you.

You are a typical amateur assuming everything is simple.
Carbs ARE pretty damn simple in the basic operation.

According to Mikuni, the low-speed circuit, idle for you, has no effect on carb operation after about 1/4 throttle.

"The pilot jet is the part which supplies most of the fuel at low throttle openings. It has a small hole in it which restricts fuel flow through it. Both the pilot air screw and pilot jet affects carburetion from idle to around 1/4 throttle."

Is there SOME fuel going through it, yeah, but it has minimal effect on higher throttle opening operation.

Call me an amateur when you refuse to use a manual... Oh yeah, I also use a vacuum gauge when I sync the carbs on bikes.

Are you the one that told us on the old board that you never use a torque wrench because you were a Rolls Royce mech and you were taught not to use one?

Calibrated ear, calibrated hands, and a memory that never fails you... At least according to you.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

[quote="Herb Is there SOME fuel going through it, yeah, but it has minimal effect on higher throttle opening operation.
[/quote]
:clap:

That is correct it has minimal not 'No' effect as you wrote. Yeah its simple of course it is. All DIY think everything is simple.

The transition jets on the BS 36 are very important part of acceleration and will cause bad off idle stumble

Last week you denied existence of transition jets posting that they did not exist and even that I myself was meaning data of transient enrichment. Well now you have learned the difference. Well you've learned something today.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:Image
freddie needs that.