Clutch disc mounted on thicker then the original ones.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 90 Suzuki VS 1400

Clutch disc mounted on thicker then the original ones.

Post by Juan71 »

Hello everyone, I have a problem with the clutch. After several years, I think 15 and 3 after installing the "Designer" springs (one of my best decisions) I find myself in the business of changing the clutch discs. It turns out that the discs mounted on my motorcycle (vs 1400 with a 1995 engine, bought used in the United States) are thicker than the original ones (although they are worn, they are thicker than the new discs I have bought - EBC ref. CK3382). The mechanic has informed me that the clutch push rod, which is mounted on my clutch motor, is also different from the original one, it is shorter. I have purchased all the parts of the original push rod and it is longer than this one (requested measurements from Suzuki and checked). I think it's all related to the fact that the mounted discs are thicker and the clutch that is installed needed a shorter rod. My question is: Is there any model of Suzuki VS1400 from the United States or any other country that has different clutch discs and different push rods? I don't want to think that the bike has a clutch that is not from a VS1400. I hope someone has some information regarding it. Thank you very much for your help. Greetings Gianni from Tenerife.

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Re: Clutch disc mounted on thicker then the original ones.

Post by azazelakira »

From all I know all the clutches and push rod for the clutches are the same specs in all the years.
And welcome to the forum
More RPMs please :putput:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Hi Juan71! Mr, Volcano Rider :rock:
I have never seen anything that shows there were two different Clutch Push Rods for the 1400.

Since you have the same number of Discs in each Stack,... did you measure the Stack of Old Discs and compare it to the Stack of New Discs?

Also, when does the clutch slip? Does it grab and run well until you operate the Clutch? Or does it slip when you added more power?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:48 am
I have never seen anything that shows there were two different Clutch Push Rods for the 1400.

Since you have the same number of Discs in each Stack,... did you measure the Stack of Old Discs and compare it to the Stack of New Discs?

Also, when does the clutch slip? Does it grab and run well until you operate the Clutch? Or does it slip when you added more power?
Hi Designer, the clutch slip only when ask for more power. and not so heavy slippage.
same number of discs like original 9+1.
it's so strange for me the situation of the difference.
I don't know how it's possible mount another kind of clutch on the intruder.
o friday i will go to the garage and take a look (60 km far from me now). and take photos and my own measuring.
stay tuned... i will upload all.
thank you to all for quickly reply.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

P. S. the only i know is that for some states like Canada, UK, Germány there are different wiring diagrams... but not this kind of changes in the engine.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Juan71 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:48 am
P. S. the only i know is that for some states like Canada, UK, Germány there are different wiring diagrams... but not this kind of chances in the engine.
Yes, that were differences in those to comply with the Regulations within those entities. And there was a difference for California models to comply with Fuel Vapor Recovery Regulation(s). But nothing I have found about any Clutch Rod/Clutch Disc differences for such regulations.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Juan71 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:45 am
Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:48 am
Hi Designer, the clutch slip only when ask for more power. and not so heavy slippage.
same number of discs like original 9+1.
it's so strange for me the situation of the difference.
I don't know how it's possible mount another kind of clutch on the intruder.
o friday i will go to the garage and take a look (60 km far from me now). and take photos and my own measuring.
stay tuned... i will upload all.
thank you to all for quickly reply.
Anything for one of our Fellow 1400 Riders! :rock:

Are you using the Short or Longer Rod when this happens?

And how does the Clutch "feel" when you are engaging it from a stop?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Friction discs can vary in thickness between OEM and aftermarket. Especially the ones you get from Amazon or eBay. It's best to go with known brands if you can't get OEM (EBC, Barnett, etc). It doesn't take much difference per disc to add up to an unusable difference when they are packed.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

As i just write the discs are from EBC REF CK3382.
As for the sizes the mechanic have received from the suzuki, the New EBC discs are the same size of the originales ones.
The clutch setup that is mounted on the bike in the last 18 years is the short pushrod and thickers disks and i have never figure it out cause i only change the original clutch springs 3 years ago mounting the Designer's springs (this put me in the conditions of being able to Enjoy the bike for last 3 years). Now It's time to change the discs and...
Only now that i try to change the clutch discs come out the problem and the reality... that is so strange for me but that's it:
short pod and thickers discs.
So now that i bought a used original pushrod (sizes checked with suzuki) and get the New EBC discs (with original thickness) i can't mount on... nothing.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So thinking about this some more - if your current discs are too thick that would mean the pressure plate would be further away from the slave - which means you would have to have a LONGER pushrod to activate the pack? You are saying the current pushrod is SHORTER than stock?

Also there is a certain amount of play that gets taken up by the slave cylinder (it's "self adjusting"). Unless there is a massive difference between the size of the 2 clutch packs this should adjust?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I am wondering if there is something installed wrong or left out of a previous install and that is the reason for the shorter rod. The install of a longer rod would hold the clutch released, at least partially.

How many miles on the bike? On my 99 I ran the original engine for about 200,000 miles with the original clutch plates. The only thing I did was put designer's springs in it. When I replaced the engine I swapped the springs out and measured the plates in the old engine, they were on the high side of the specs.

Here is the link to the parts fiche.

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oempar ... 650/clutch
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Juan71 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:41 pm
So now that i bought a used original pushrod (sizes checked with suzuki) and get the New EBC discs (with original thickness) i can't mount on... nothing.
Could you clarify something please?
When you say,..."nothing"...what does that mean?

Since you say the slippage happens only when adding more power at Cruise Speeds, this seems to indicate that the issue is not the Push Rod length.

For, if it were too long, it would hold "open" the pressure on the Clutch Pack all the time and cause slippage. And were it too short, it would not "open" the Clutch Pack enough for shifting, standing still.

BTW,.....were the New Plates soaked in oil before installing them?

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:53 am
Juan71 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:41 pm
Could you clarify something please?
When you say,..."nothing"...what does that mean?

Since you say the slippage happens only when adding more power at Cruise Speeds, this seems to indicate that the issue is not the Push Rod length.

For, if it were too long, it would hold "open" the pressure on the Clutch Pack all the time and cause slippage. And were it too short, it would not "open" the Clutch Pack enough for shifting, standing still.

BTW,.....were the New Plates soaked in oil before installing them?
... "nothing" means that the mechanic never mount the discs and the other pushrod (that i just buy used original) . He inform me about the situación (shorter pushrod and different size for the discs). however tomorrow i will go to the garage and take a better look.
The slippage i was talking about meaning what i feel in the last 10 months. it's the cause i decide to change the discs. I try to change the by myself and a mechanic friend of mine... but when mounted the discs the slippage was higher. So. last years, Thinking about the size of the delivered discs was wrong i will reswnd the items to tej seller.
Now buying another pack of discs from. EBC with original tickness... the problem show up again.
tomorrow i will inform better on the situation

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Juan71 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:45 am
.....The slippage i was talking about meaning what i feel in the last 10 months. it's the cause i decide to change the discs. I try to change the by myself and a mechanic friend of mine... but when mounted the discs the slippage was higher. So. last years, Thinking about the size of the delivered discs was wrong i will reswnd the items to tej seller......
I see now. So the slipping you report started before you installed the "thicker" Discs ,....and when you installed those "thicker" Discs, it got worse,...right?

Do you have any idea who the Manufacturer was of those "thicker" Discs?

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Hi guys, On Friday I went to the workshop. The situation I have found is: The push rod that has been mounted on the bike "always", that is, since before I bought the bike in 2005, is shorter. In the photos you can see that it has been cut. The discs that have been mounted on the bike "always", that is, since before I bought the bike in 2005, are worn out and are thicker than the original ones. In the photo there are references (engraved on the teeth of the discs) that do not look like VS 1400.

The new EBC discs that I have bought and that the mechanic has not mounted on the motorcycle are of the same measurements that Suzuki indicates, they are like the originals. In my opinion I think this has happened: Back in the day, before I bought the engine, the previous owner had problems with the clutch caused by loose springs. I think he didn't know the "Designer" springs and tried to solve it like this: mounting thicker discs and cutting the rod to fit (since the pack of discs was thicker). I hope I'm not talking nonsense but what I have asked the mechanic to do is that he mount the rod that I bought used/original from a 1995 VS (the one that is longest) and that he mount the new EBC discs. I hope to solve this way. What do you think? Could it be that what I thought has happened?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

You know, I had thought that the "worn out" discs you are replacing might not be the proper ones ( from another type of motorcycle).
But couldn't find any Clutch Discs from another Bike that might fit in the 1400 Clutch Basket and had the correct Teeth on them.

Anyways, you made good sense and we are all looking forwards to hearing the results.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

push Rod

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Ummm,...Gianni?

The Images don't appear,...all there is are little squares that say "image" . :uhh:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Juan71 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:21 pm

push Rod
These are links to the images, not image codes.

Here are the image codes....

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pm
Ummm,...Gianni?

The Images don't appear,...all there is are little squares that say "image" . :uhh:
Right click on the image and click on open image in new tab. They come right up.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.