Swingarm Mods

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Swingarm Mods

Post by azazelakira »

Hey guys like some of you know I been looking to fit a little bigger tire and wheel on the rear, but I don't want to expend an arm and a leg on Modifications. Does somebody knows how to fit a 18x5.5 wheel on the rear with the original swingarm? Or making minimal Modifications?
More RPMs please :putput:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Swingarm Mods

Post by navigator »

There is no way to go from a 15x4 wheel to a 18x5.5 wheel with "minimal" modifications.
Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
The stock swing arm will accept a tire one size wider at best.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:17 pm
Hey guys like some of you know I been looking to fit a little bigger tire and wheel on the rear, but I don't want to expend an arm and a leg on Modifications. Does somebody knows how to fit a 18x5.5 wheel on the rear with the original swingarm? Or making minimal Modifications?
Tonight it is too late. I will be posting what I did tomorrow.

For starters, you can see the results here;
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1193&start=125

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Whelp! Seems my Picture Hosting Website isn't cooperating today.
I have sent them a message for assistance, so Hold On. When I get this all ironed out, I will post the pictures of how to get the 5.5x18 Wheel in your Stock Swingarm.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:28 pm
There is no way to go from a 15x4 wheel to a 18x5.5 wheel with "minimal" modifications.
The thing is that I don't want to throw $2500 dollars to a swingarm that is wider that I need, and then the custom wheels.
Thank you

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:43 am
I have sent them a message for assistance, so Hold On. When I get this all ironed out, I will post the pictures of how to get the 5.5x18 Wheel in your Stock Swingarm.
I really appreciatte that, I have my second Intruder that I shall start working on, the engine is been closed form changing the gears, now I have to start painting the chasis and do the mods I want to do before seatting the fenders and such.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

azazelakira wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:29 pm
navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:28 pm
The thing is that I don't want to throw $2500 dollars to a swingarm that is wider that I need, and then the custom wheels.
Thank you
Sometimes you have to pay to play.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:31 pm
Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:43 am
I really appreciatte that, I have my second Intruder that I shall start working on, the engine is been closed form changing the gears, now I have to start painting the chasis and do the mods I want to do before seatting the fenders and such.
Rest assured. with My Mod?...you will not be anywhere's NEAR that kinda $$$ . :wink:

And,..... you will have that which you seeketh. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Patience Grasshoppah. ( that's from the TV show, Kung Fu) :bow:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
The thing is that I don't want to throw $2500 dollars to a swingarm that is wider that I need, and then the custom wheels. Thank you

As you will see you don't ,Have To Pay, big money ,To Play, in getting what you want. :bow:

The installation of a Wider Wheel/Tire project started with choosing the Wheel/Tire and the dimensions thereof.

A little background firat,...at the time, Thunderbike and others in Europe were installing HUGE rear tires on 1400's, some as big as 300mm wide! I thought that a bit over done and wanted a similar upgrade, but didn't reduce my Carving Corners ( I loved the Deep Leaning ) and Riding Comfort as much.

I measured things on my 1400, and determined that the Metzeler 200/50R x 18 Tire mounted on a 5.5 x 18 Wheel would fit well and look really nice, while not be too heavy ( too much un-sprung weight makes for poor Riding comfort). Most important, it would not require a Centerline-of-Tire offset (front to rear)... which was being sold by Thunderbike to get those HUGE rear Tires in there. ( a Ride Handling Poblem-maker for sure)

The Measurements indicated that this Combination would clear the Drive Shaft in the Stock Swingarm. And a Clearance "notch" in the Swing Arm itself was all I needed.

So here's some Work-in-progress pictures on how I made this Mod come to be;

As you can see, the Cover Plate is thin Aluminum ( 032 Sheet Stock) .. It is easy to form but still sturdy enough. And thus is easy to make it just barely clear the inside edge of the Drive Shaft.

Here's another view;

Drill and Tap the Swing Arm for Mounting Bolts ( Stainless Steel of course) seal it with Silicone Sealant,...and VIOLA!

:rock:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Hey azazelakira - if you are going to cut a notch out of your swingarm I strongly recommend you take it to a machine shop to get a plate welded in.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

Designer wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:33 am
azazelakira wrote:
The thing is that I don't want to throw $2500 dollars to a swingarm that is wider that I need, and then the custom wheels. Thank you

As you will see you don't ,Have To Pay, big money ,To Play, in getting what you want. :bow:

The installation of a Wider Wheel/Tire project started with choosing the Wheel/Tire and the dimensions thereof.

A little background firat,...at the time, Thunderbike and others in Europe were installing HUGE rear tires on 1400's, some as big as 300mm wide! I thought that a bit over done and wanted a similar upgrade, but didn't reduce my Carving Corners ( I loved the Deep Leaning ) and Riding Comfort as much.

I measured things on my 1400, and determined that the Metzeler 200/50R x 18 Tire mounted on a 5.5 x 18 Wheel would fit well and look really nice, while not be too heavy ( too much un-sprung weight makes for poor Riding comfort). Most important, it would not require a Centerline-of-Tire offset (front to rear)... which was being sold by Thunderbike to get those HUGE rear Tires in there. ( a Ride Handling Poblem-maker for sure)

The Measurements indicated that this Combination would clear the Drive Shaft in the Stock Swingarm. And a Clearance "notch" in the Swing Arm itself was all I needed.

So here's some Work-in-progress pictures on how I made this Mod come to be;

As you can see, the Cover Plate is thin Aluminum ( 032 Sheet Stock) .. It is easy to form but still sturdy enough. And thus is easy to make it just barely clear the inside edge of the Drive Shaft.

Here's another view;

Drill and Tap the Swing Arm for Mounting Bolts ( Stainless Steel of course) seal it with Silicone Sealant,...and VIOLA!

:rock:

This is great, just what I needed to see. With patience I should be able to get it done, because I don't want a huge tire on the back, just bigger than stock.
Thank you Deaigner.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:13 pm
Hey azazelakira - if you are going to cut a notch out of your swingarm I strongly recommend you take it to a machine shop to get a plate welded in.
Not a bad idea. I may be able to do that myself.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

azazelakira wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:11 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Not sure what your welding experience is - but at the very least you would want to have the swingarm in a jig so it doesn't distort - welding around that area can easily pull the axle plates closer together.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:19 pm
azazelakira wrote:
hillsy v2 wrote:
Not sure what your welding experience is - but at the very least you would want to have the swingarm in a jig so it doesn't distort - welding around that area can easily pull the axle plates closer together.
Well I guess I will find out, doesn't look to be that thin metal to distort that easy but I will check it out for sure. Thanks.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

azazelakira wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:16 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:19 pm
azazelakira wrote:
hillsy v2 wrote:
Well I guess I will find out, doesn't look to be that thin metal to distort that easy but I will check it out for sure. Thanks.
You'll be cutting out around one third the radius of the tube and welding in a plate. It will most likely distort unless it is in a jig.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

azazelakira wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:10 pm
This is great, just what I needed to see. With patience I should be able to get it done, because I don't want a huge tire on the back, just bigger than stock. Thank you Designer.
azazelakira wrote:
You are most Welcome. :bow: I am confident you CAN do this yourself. :wink: I will be there to Help/Advise you every step of the way.. :ShitGrinandThumb:

You can choose any tire smaller than the 200/50/18 tire I chose. The first point being is that you can fit the 5.5x18 Wheel that you want to in your Swingarm without having to spend the $2500 dollars for a New Swing Arm to get hat you want. Saving some Big $$$ right off the bat. :wink:

Just so you know,...this Mod has been totally Water Proof and Structurally Sound for close to 20 years now. And with the Corning I like to do, I did "Torque Test" it thoroughly first before posting it here. So you need not worry over this Mod being any sort of issue as to need any sort of welding. Why?..... is because I figured out the the Thickness Of The Metal and Structural Design that went into the Stock Swing Arm is MORE THAN sufficient to handle any Torsional and Deflectional Forces acting upon it that this small "notch" might induce.

And,...that you do not need welding saves you even more $$$,...by avoiding the Welders Fees,..the suggested costs of a Jig for welding,....and the Grinding Down/Finishing his welds,...all in preparation of the Painting/Refinishing costs that would needs be done IF you resort to needlessly welding.

If you want, I can help you with the fabrication/shaping of the Cover Plate.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

"needlessly welding" ?

Just wow.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

Designer wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:51 pm
azazelakira wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:10 pm
This is great, just what I needed to see. With patience I should be able to get it done, because I don't want a huge tire on the back, just bigger than stock. Thank you Designer.
azazelakira wrote:
You are most Welcome. :bow: I am confident you CAN do this yourself. :wink: I will be there to Help/Advise you every step of the way.. :ShitGrinandThumb:

You can choose any tire smaller than the 200/50/18 tire I chose. The first point being is that you can fit the 5.5x18 Wheel that you want to in your Swingarm without having to spend the $2500 dollars for a New Swing Arm to get hat you want. Saving some Big $$$ right off the bat. :wink:

Just so you know,...this Mod has been totally Water Proof and Structurally Sound for close to 20 years now. And with the Corning I like to do, I did "Torque Test" it thoroughly first before posting it here. So you need not worry over this Mod being any sort of issue as to need any sort of welding. Why?..... is because I figured out the the Thickness Of The Metal and Structural Design that went into the Stock Swing Arm is MORE THAN sufficient to handle any Torsional and Deflectional Forces acting upon it that this small "notch" might induce.

And,...that you do not need welding saves you even more $$$,...by avoiding the Welders Fees,..the suggested costs of a Jig for welding,....and the Grinding Down/Finishing his welds,...all in preparation of the Painting/Refinishing costs that would needs be done IF you resort to needlessly welding.

If you want, I can help you with the fabrication/shaping of the Cover Plate.
I for sure will be asking more questions when the time comes, I am still an OTR driver until next month, then I will be a broke Electician Apprentice, but been that I will have the time to play with my toys, the big thing will be the paint I think I will send it to powder coat depending on color. Will figure it out when that time is comming. Thank god we still have you here otherwise all this knowlege had been lost.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 pm
"needlessly welding" ?

Just wow.
If he hasn't welded in 20 years and he says is not rusting, then no weld is needed. Now if you think different, you are entitled to it.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

azazelakira wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:34 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 pm
"needlessly welding" ?

Just wow.
If he hasn't welded in 20 years and he says is not rusting, then no weld is needed. Now if you think different, you are entitled to it.
It's not about rusting - it's about structural integrity of the swingarm. There's a bunch of sharp corners there without any radius for a start which are prone to attracting cracks. There's really a stack of red flags with that idea but feel free to copy by all means.