Noob Chopper/coffin Tank questions.

RattleHead
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Noob Chopper/coffin Tank questions.

Post by RattleHead »

Hey y’all. I’ve searched this site for intel but haven’t found what I’m lookin for.

I have an 03 vs1400 that I got with the sole purpose of customizing (didn’t realize this would prove to be more difficult than an old iron head or something 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️)

My first question, I really want to swap the OEM tank out for a coffin tank. Has anyone ever done this/had any luck? It seems the channel is far too narrow on most off the rack coffins so I’m hoping someone has had some luck and can point me in the right direction.

Second, I wanna get extended tubes, will any 41mm tubes be compatible? Thanks!!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Noob Chopper/coffin Tank questions.

Post by navigator »

IIRC The 1400 has 41mm forks.

RattleHead
Tricycles are Cool

Post by RattleHead »

You’re right!
My bad. That’s what I get for posting on Christmas.

In any case, some standard 41mm should be usable, correct? There’s nothing “intruder specific” about them? I just feel like there’s nothing universal about this bike.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Lots of discussions and thread on just replacing the stock tanks with larger tanks.Some on custom tanks.
What you will need to do is pick up the the tank you want and have the mounts welded on.
Or fab the tank you want to fit the intruder back bone
Another option if you want is to have a tank made on your tank channel.
Keep in mind that the stock intruder tanks are getting hard to find

RattleHead
Tricycles are Cool

Post by RattleHead »

FallenAngel wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:34 pm
Lots of discussions and thread on just replacing the stock tanks with larger tanks.Some on custom tanks.
What you will need to do is pick up the the tank you want and have the mounts welded on.
Or fab the tank you want to fit the intruder back bone
Another option if you want is to have a tank made on your tank channel.
Keep in mind that the stock intruder tanks are getting hard to find
That’s pretty much what I thought (was worried about). My main concern is that coffin type tanks tend to run small. All the topics I’ve found talk about upscaling. Was hoping someone had experience with this specifically and could point me in the right direction of where I could possibly get this done (I know zero about welding unfortunately). My big concern is the channel on th 1400 being too large.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

RattleHead wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:54 pm
In any case, some standard 41mm should be usable, correct? There’s nothing “intruder specific” about them? I just feel like there’s nothing universal about this bike.
Forks are forks for most bikes - so any 41mm tube will fit in your Intruder lowers - the differences will be with the damper rod and the slider bushings.

The other problem will be length - VS forks will be longer than say, a Bandit 600 even though they are both 41mm.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I would take it to a good welder or fabricator and let then know what you are looking for. If you could get a 4-5 gallon tank made your range would be closer to 170-200 miles on a tank. You could try converting an existing tank to fit but I don't see any real cost savings in that. Getting the mounts and the fuel lines in the right place will be the hardest part.

If you do get this done and your old tank is in good shape you will most likely be able to sell it and recoup some of the cost.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Here's a Honda Rebel tank that is modded to fit an Intruder:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14597&p=231063&hil ... nk#p231063

If nothing else you could use that for the base then have a coffin tank welded on top.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:27 pm
Here's a Honda Rebel tank that is modded to fit an Intruder:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14597&p=231063&hil ... nk#p231063

If nothing else you could use that for the base then have a coffin tank welded on top.
That is a great mod but still smaller than a stock tank. Wish someone would find a larger tank that could be easily moded to fit.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

RattleHead
Tricycles are Cool

Post by RattleHead »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:48 pm
RattleHead wrote:
Forks are forks for most bikes - so any 41mm tube will fit in your Intruder lowers - the differences will be with the damper rod and the slider bushings.

The other problem will be length - VS forks will be longer than say, a Bandit 600 even though they are both 41mm.
Thanks man. Good to know. Excuse my ignorance (like I said, noob), but could one keep the current rod and bushings and use a spacer with the longer tubes? Or would one need a whole new set all together. (I’m tryin to go 6+over)

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

RattleHead wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:02 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
RattleHead wrote:

Thanks man. Good to know. Excuse my ignorance (like I said, noob), but could one keep the current rod and bushings and use a spacer with the longer tubes? Or would one need a whole new set all together. (I’m tryin to go 6+over)
Absolutely. Whatever length over you go just add that same length to the spacer on top of the stock springs.

RattleHead
Tricycles are Cool

Post by RattleHead »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:47 pm
RattleHead wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:02 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
RattleHead wrote:

Absolutely. Whatever length over you go just add that same length to the spacer on top of the stock springs.
Bad ass. Thanks man