Electrical issue

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Electrical issue

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

It was a nice day today, so I got on the old intruder to go to work. After I got there, I had a quick trip to make so I started her up and rode down the street a couple blocks and did what I had to do. When I went to ride back to work, I attempted to start and the bike tried to turn over but then all of the electrical power was gone, no lights or anything. I troubleshot what I could in the parking lot and found that with the key off the battery voltage is around 12.7-12.8 volts. When I turn the key on, the voltage reading drops down to less than 1 volt. This was read directly from the battery. Any ideas on which direction I should be looking. As of right now the only thing I can think of is the battery took a fat shit and not producing voltage when any kind of load is put on it. I am home now and the bike is still in the parking lot at work, so I’m looking for ideas I can possibly look at when I have some time tomorrow. Thanks for any ideas y’all can come up with.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Re: Electrical issue

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

I forgot to add, when I wiggled the wires for the trickle charger lead on the ground side, the dash lights came back on once or twice, but everything shit off again when I tried to start the engine. I removed the charger lead and nothing got better. Looked at all the fuses and they were all good.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested, it is probably toast.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

I will do that. That’s in line with what I was thinking. I can’t come up with any reason the battery would not show voltage with minimal load if it were good. Now that I sat and thought some more I remembered that I jumped the posts on the starter solenoid to see if it would do anything, and nothing happened. I’m getting pretty convinced I need a battery.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I stopped for gas one day and the bike wouldn't start back up. I pulled the battery and walked it to an auto parts store. It failed the load test so I bought a battery off the shelf and the bike started right up.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't see where you cleaned and tightened the battery terminals. dirty connections can cause that issue.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

navigator wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:18 am
Take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested, it is probably toast.
Hooked a jump box up to it today, and can confirm the battery took a fat dump. Battery was only a year and a half old. Probably my fault for not hooking the AGM battery up to a maintainer regularly. Thanks for the input from everyone.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:11 am
navigator wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:18 am
Hooked a jump box up to it today, and can confirm the battery took a fat dump. Battery was only a year and a half old. Probably my fault for not hooking the AGM battery up to a maintainer regularly. Thanks for the input from everyone.
AGM batteries typically fail catastrophically, fast....works now and not 10 minutes later.
Unlike lead acid batteries which slowly degrade and let you know they are going bad.