First gear no throttle

sky02
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400 93

First gear no throttle

Post by sky02 »

Hi

Today i was wondering about one thing. On my VS1400 i cant run at first gearwithout adding some throttle. She idles fine at 1000rpms. Carbs are clean, AFR is good, sync is perfect. But no matter how smoothly i will let the clutch out she will stall without even slightest amount of throttle. And while slowly running when i close the throttle completely she will also stall.

I could do that without a problem with Boulevard C50, honda CB500, Suzuki SV650, yamaha MT07 and smaller bikes that i have ridden.
I could do that in all cars that i had.

I find it strange that such big engine wont have enough torque at idle rpms to just slowly move forward. I wonder if it is normal for that bike or maybe i should rise idle rpms a bit by opening the butterflys and it will be the same like a very small amount of throttle. I have KN drop ins so maybe the carbs a a little bit more closed at 1000rpm idle than with factory foam inserts.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: First gear no throttle

Post by Designer »

Though I cannot know just what ..."the Feel"...is on your clutch lever as you are releasing and feathering it ,....My experiences are pretty much what you have reported.

you might want to revisit your A/F adjustment, just to see if turning it out a bit reduces this issue.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

My first thought was you had a problem with your bike
My second thought is Im confused by the question

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I believe it is that the bike was never designed to operate under load at idle.

sky02
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400 93

Post by sky02 »

Thats why a iam asking if its normal for that bike.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I had my 1400 out today and tried it, just for fun, in 22 years of riding intruders I don't remember ever trying that. When it was still cold, with the choke on, it had a little trouble and had to really slip the clutch, but did take off at idle. Warmed up, choke off it idled away with minimal slipping of the clutch.
my idle is set at 950 to 1000 warm and it is at 870-925 cold.

I think that you have the carbs set a little lean at idle. my idle jets are set at around 2 turns out.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.