Finally Rode It To Work

ncdave
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 97 1400 Intruder

Finally Rode It To Work

Post by ncdave »

Today was the day to really put the 1400 into my service rotation. Instead of taking the GW, I opted for the 1400 for my ride to work.

That's the good part. :(

The seating position over a longer ride just kills my back. Not sure that there's much I can do to resolve this. I was looking at some videos about forward controls, but not sure that stretching my legs out farther would help. Wind was problematic. Although compared to the GW, anything would be lesser. I've been thinking about a small windscreen. Likely would help some. Vibrations were more than expected. At 70+, it's turning a lot of RPMs and the vibrations had my hands tingling by the time I got to work. Overall, I think this bike is best suited as a back-road cruiser than anything for longer distances. I had hoped to do an Iron Butt ride on it, but at this point, not sure I could endure it.

On the plus side, the bike felt good at speed. It held a line well and was smooth on the road. While the motor was turning a lot of RPMs, it didn't feel our sound over-worked. Just the vibes.

I do have to figure out a solution to the back problems though or the bike can't stay. I've got back problems to begin with (L4-L5-S1), so I'm SURE that's a large part of the problem.

Who's got some input for me? :cheers:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Finally Rode It To Work

Post by Designer »

GREAT NEWS! :space: With all the battles you had,...it's nice to hear you got some Riding Time on it.

Forwards might help,...I know for sure they did so for me. :space: However, since you have similar leg/foot position on your GW, I would first try some Highway Pegs perhaps. With it having a short "cockpit" I find leaning back is right nice with my legs extended. Then leaning forward a bit for good cornering

An Iron but on a 1400? I've never heard of such an adventure being tried.

I don't think the 1400 was designed for such a long distance ride... It is better suited for corner-carving fun and such.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ncdave
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 97 1400 Intruder

Post by ncdave »

Designer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:27 am
GREAT NEWS! :space: With all the battles you had,...it's nice to hear you got some Riding Time on it.

Forwards might help,...I know for sure they did so for me. :space: However, since you have similar leg/foot position on your GW, I would first try some Highway Pegs perhaps. With it having a short "cockpit" I find leaning back is right nice with my legs extended. Then leaning forward a bit for good cornering

An Iron but on a 1400? I've never heard of such an adventure being tried.

I don't think the 1400 was designed for such a long distance ride... It is better suited for corner-carving fun and such.
good idea on highway pegs. cheap way to try an extended riding position!

The Iron Butt adventure is just a thing I do with all my bikes. I like to do at least 1 on each one I own. Not my KLR650 though. :D

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have back problems, the windshield and a backrest are the best things for my back.

The trouble is that to get things to work for me I had to make changes to the bike that detract from it's original appearance. At 74 function is more important than appearance.

BTW, my son and his riding buddies call my bike mad max.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400 and C50

Post by Springer Fla »

Iron Butt Rides are done on choppers. Just lean back into the King and Queen seat and stretch your legs out with a set of pull back handlebars. I’m so hard core that I have my house toilet raked to a 33° incline, plus handlebars on the wall. That way, I can bear down while I get things started or to get off the seat.