Electrical issue

BCBIKER
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 05 Boulevard

Electrical issue

Post by BCBIKER »

Straight to the point, my 05 Boulevard died on me at work. Zero issues prior to this and it has a one year old battery in it. When I went to start it there was a lack of battery life to turn it over. Tried to boost and it but it didn't work so I got it towed home. Now there is zero electrical showing when when I turn the key. No lights to anything. I tricked charged the battery for a couple of days to be sure and that didn't work, still zero. Checked the fuse box, the main is listed as 25 amp and it along with the others are all good according to my multimeter. I've checked and cleaned the main ground from the battery that is mounted to the engine, still nothing. I used my multimeter on the key switch and continuity is good. Does anyone have a suggestion at to what to look for? Is there another fuse I'm missing? Thanks in advance

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Electrical issue

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
First step with the Intruder is to have your battery load tested, any auto parts store will test it on the spot for free.

Check the kill switch, they can corrode over time. Also make sure the kill switch is in the on position, I spent 20 minutes one day trying to figure out why my bike wouldn't start and it was just the kill switch in the off position. I never used the kill switch.

In the mean time.

Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

BCBIKER
Tricycles are Cool

Post by BCBIKER »

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a hard copy of the manual and I've done that kill switch error a few times. If the kill, clutch or stand switch are the problem then there would be electrical to the lights, which in this case there isn't. There is absolutely no electricity to any of the lights. I have the battery on charge and will try again tomorrow. I was just waiting till September then I was going to replace my disks and pads , now I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Sounds to me like the battery went bad. I would be willing to bet that you have an open inside the battery. I had a gel bat die like that at 65 in San Diego rush hour traffic on I8 No break light, no Turn signal, and I had to move over 2 lanes to the shoulder while coasting. Scared the crap out of me.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

BCBIKER wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:47 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a hard copy of the manual and I've done that kill switch error a few times. If the kill, clutch or stand switch are the problem then there would be electrical to the lights, which in this case there isn't. There is absolutely no electricity to any of the lights. I have the battery on charge and will try again tomorrow. I was just waiting till September then I was going to replace my disks and pads , now I'm not sure if it's worth it.
You should have the load test done, letting it charge won't help if the battery is bad.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

BCBIKER wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:13 pm
Straight to the point, my 05 Boulevard died on me at work. Zero issues prior to this and it has a one year old battery in it. When I went to start it there was a lack of battery life to turn it over. Tried to boost and it but it didn't work so I got it towed home. Now there is zero electrical showing when when I turn the key. No lights to anything. I tricked charged the battery for a couple of days to be sure and that didn't work, still zero. Checked the fuse box, the main is listed as 25 amp and it along with the others are all good according to my multimeter. I've checked and cleaned the main ground from the battery that is mounted to the engine, still nothing. I used my multimeter on the key switch and continuity is good. Does anyone have a suggestion at to what to look for? Is there another fuse I'm missing? Thanks in advance
Some after market batterys the bolt will extend and make contact with battery causing a poor connection and resistance .
These bikes are battery dependent. Im not saying your battery is good just make sure you have good connections at the battery and check the ground to frame

BCBIKER
Tricycles are Cool

Post by BCBIKER »

So I went ahead and purchased a new battery just to be on the safe side, I'll install it after work and see what happens. Cost of batteries sure have gone up, spent under $100 (CA) last time, roughly 12-16 months ago, and now just put out $145 before taxes. I could have gotten one for under 100 but I'd have to wait until 22-28 Aug to get it...I'm leaving on holidays on the 23rd so I bit the bullet and just felt like complaining.....

I'll update later if it works or not. My brain can't get past the no electrical to the lights, I've never had that since I started riding back in 1987.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

check your connections

A battery shouldn't go bad in 16 months
I got a call to help a ladies on her 800 intruder Died while driving
I get there and she has no lights on her dash She said she kept it on a maintainer all the time
I get it loaded and when we drop it off at work we plug it in After a about 3 minutes I turned the ignition on and No Lights I gave the wire for the maintainer a tag and the lights came on. hit the starter and the dash lights went off I tugged the wire again this time I held it tight and the bike started
Because she wanted to work on it herself I suggested she get a couple star washers to fix the bad connection

80% of the no start Bad battery or Bad starters I respond to are bad connections at the battery

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

FallenAngel wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:52 am
check your connections

A battery shouldn't go bad in 16 months
I got a call to help a ladies on her 800 intruder Died while driving
I get there and she has no lights on her dash She said she kept it on a maintainer all the time
I get it loaded and when we drop it off at work we plug it in After a about 3 minutes I turned the ignition on and No Lights I gave the wire for the maintainer a tag and the lights came on. hit the starter and the dash lights went off I tugged the wire again this time I held it tight and the bike started
Because she wanted to work on it herself I suggested she get a couple star washers to fix the bad connection

80% of the no start Bad battery or Bad starters I respond to are bad connections at the battery
Star Washers fix everything. :ShitGrinandThumb:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:56 am

Star Washers fix everything. :ShitGrinandThumb:
LOL
everything

BCBIKER
Tricycles are Cool

Post by BCBIKER »

Well I got it running. Picked up a batter from Canadian Tire that had the right specs. At first I just used jumper cables to connect to see if had enough juice, store only knew that they had it since June so I wasn't sure. And the one thing I hate about intruder/boulevards is the bloomin battery location. Anyway lights came on, heard the click when I turned the key but it would not turn over, some clicking noise did occur. Figured it might have enough when I actually installed it, and sure enough started like a charm. Let it run for a bit then went and put dialectic grease at most of my connections and got her all back together, ready for work in the am.

Thanks again for all the ideas and help.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

BCBIKER wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:23 pm
Well I got it running. Picked up a batter from Canadian Tire that had the right specs. At first I just used jumper cables to connect to see if had enough juice, store only knew that they had it since June so I wasn't sure. And the one thing I hate about intruder/boulevards is the bloomin battery location. Anyway lights came on, heard the click when I turned the key but it would not turn over, some clicking noise did occur. Figured it might have enough when I actually installed it, and sure enough started like a charm. Let it run for a bit then went and put dialectic grease at most of my connections and got her all back together, ready for work in the am.

Thanks again for all the ideas and help.
Hope you added the star washers to the battery connections, if not it could be the end of the world!

BCBIKER
Tricycles are Cool

Post by BCBIKER »

Nope, didn't have any nearby. Maybe I'll get to it later when I change out my discs, or when I pull the battery for the winter. I'm hoping that isn't until late October, weather depending.