High idle, revs not going down

Adrenalin_junky
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 95 vs1400

High idle, revs not going down

Post by Adrenalin_junky »

Hello to anybody who knows the carbs on these bikes, what would be causing a high idle? It’s only the rear carb that’s giving me issues, the front is fine. I had pulled the carbs off and cleaned them, then I put them back on
, and before putting the air box on I started it and it ran great. Then I wanted to ride so I threw the rest back together and went to start it, and it turned over, fired, and then seemed to jump to 4-5k rpm’s. What would cause this? I checked the floats, there working fine, checked for cracks in the intake, and looked for any missing or broke vacuum lines, and nothing. Everything looked good to me.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: High idle, revs not going down

Post by navigator »

Adjust the throttle cable, make sure you have 1/8" freeplay at the grip.
Did you sync the carbs?

Adrenalin_junky
Tricycles are Cool

No I have not synchronized the carbs yet, but I was planning on doing it. But that can’t be the reason why. And I haven’t checked into the throttle play yet, but how would that change so drastically with just installing the air box? At this point if messing with the throttle doesn’t do anything I’m just gonna order a full rebuild kit for the carbs

Adrenalin_junky
Tricycles are Cool

Also when I choke down the rear carb( putting my hand over the intake wile letting barley any air through) it idles down so I know it has to be only the rear giving me trouble.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Pull your tank and look at the splitter The cable for the rear may have poped out of the splitter causing the high idle

Adrenalin_junky
Tricycles are Cool

FallenAngel wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:27 pm
Pull your tank and look at the splitter The cable for the rear may have poped out of the splitter causing the high idle
The splitter? Are you talking about the sync cable?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Adrenalin_junky wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:38 pm
FallenAngel wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:27 pm
No, on the top of the front airbox there is a part that the single throttle cable comes into and 2 cables come out of it, one to each carb. There is a clamp that holds it to the top of the airbox. the cables can pull out and the cable sheath can get caught on the outside of the splitter. Also if the splitter isn't properly clamped down the splitter can move around and cause all kinds of throttle issues.

The first time I cleaned the filters on my 87 I left the clamp off and the bike did all kinds of crazy things, it drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Herb wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:50 pm
Adrenalin_junky wrote:
No, on the top of the front airbox there is a part that the single throttle cable comes into and 2 cables come out of it, one to each carb. There is a clamp that holds it to the top of the airbox. the cables can pull out and the cable sheath can get caught on the outside of the splitter. Also if the splitter isn't properly clamped down the splitter can move around and cause all kinds of throttle issues.

The first time I cleaned the filters on my 87 I left the clamp off and the bike did all kinds of crazy things, it drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.
What herb said

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

FallenAngel wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:58 pm
Herb wrote:
Adrenalin_junky wrote:

What herb said
Didn't mean to step on you but I learned this from doing it and this was before the internet. It took me 3 days to figure out what I did wrong and that was only because I found the clamp and screw in my tool box... The light dawned.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Adrenalin_junky
Tricycles are Cool

Herb wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:10 pm
FallenAngel wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:58 pm
Herb wrote:
Adrenalin_junky wrote:

What herb said
Didn't mean to step on you but I learned this from doing it and this was before the internet. It took me 3 days to figure out what I did wrong and that was only because I found the clamp and screw in my tool box... The light dawned.
Now that I think of it the cable isn’t bolted down, I have the front air box cover off. I really hope that’s it. Or something with the adjustments. Because I don’t want to have to fully disassemble the carbs again lol. But thank you all, i will go over the whole throttle linkage tomorrow morning.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Please let us know what you find.

Adrenalin_junky
Tricycles are Cool

Herb wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:52 pm
Please let us know what you find.
it was the throttle cable, i had it routed wrong. Plus the sync cable was way off. But I was able to take it out and it was running great! All I need to do now is hook my vacuum guages up and sync the carbs together and it’ll be perfect.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Glad you found it and let us know what it took to fix it.

Enjoy the ride!!!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Adrenalin_junky wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:38 pm
it was the throttle cable, i had it routed wrong. Plus the sync cable was way off. But I was able to take it out and it was running great! All I need to do now is hook my vacuum guages up and sync the carbs together and it’ll be perfect.
That is a common mistake to make with these bikes
Glad you fond it