Compression

sky02
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400 93

Compression

Post by sky02 »

Hi,
I’ve recently checked compression on my bike. She pulls hard, start normally but she is 30yrs old so I wanted to know the condition of engine. Mileage is 47k but maybe 147k who knows.
Both cylinders are around 140psi. Completely cold and after a good warm up the reading is the same. According to manual it’s on the edge of rebuilding.
I have added 5ml of engine oil to the cylinders and it risen by about 10psi. So its not rings.
The gauge is not an expensive one but with valve at both ends of the tube so there is no tube error.

What do you guys think about those readings.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Compression

Post by Designer »

Keep Ridin'

These motors are pretty much "bullet proof" and have a proven history of going over 160,000 miles without a rebuild.

Ask our resident Longevity Expert,...Herb. :space: He knows :space: :wink:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I ran my 87 for over 154K with no engine problems.

It is really hard to get a good compression reading on these engines because the slides don't allow a lot af air in.

I did a compression check at 100,609 and could only get a reading of 120, pulled the slides from the carbs and redid the test got 165.

Designer is correct, ride it and have fun.

BTW folks, except for the break in and initial dealer service it NEVER had anything but car oil. The lowest cost 10W40.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

When doing a compression check the throttle needs to be wide open.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

sky02 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:13 am
Hi,
I’ve recently checked compression on my bike. She pulls hard, start normally but she is 30yrs old so I wanted to know the condition of engine. Mileage is 47k but maybe 147k who knows.
Both cylinders are around 140psi. Completely cold and after a good warm up the reading is the same. According to manual it’s on the edge of rebuilding.
I have added 5ml of engine oil to the cylinders and it risen by about 10psi. So its not rings.
The gauge is not an expensive one but with valve at both ends of the tube so there is no tube error.

What do you guys think about those readings.
For a 30 year old bike 140 psi cold and warm is pretty good
Engine should be running smooth and well balanced with those reading increase of 10 psi with oil is a good sign as well

sky02
Studying MC Handbook

Post by sky02 »

It was WOT as it should be. I was just wondering what are real life readings. Service manual specify that it should be tested on warm engine with WOT and it should be 142-199 psi. Nothing about taking the carbs off the bike or the slides to make it easier to pump.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Even though you do wide open throttle the slides that actually control airflow don't move from the idle position.

The reading you are getting is as good as you are going to get wit the carbs in place and it is a great reading for the way you are doing it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:45 pm
Even though you do wide open throttle the slides that actually control airflow don't move from the idle position.
The reading you are getting is as good as you are going to get wit the carbs in place and it is a great reading for the way you are doing it.
RIDE ON! .......er,........or,..... :ahha: ....... should I have said,...RIGHT ON!? :space: :ShitGrin:

:jester:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

The more important thing is that the cylinders read within 10psi of each other. Sounds like you're good.

sky02
Studying MC Handbook

Post by sky02 »

Thanks guys, maybe I will check it again without the carbs when i will be redoing the sync next time.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sky02 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:08 pm
Thanks guys, maybe I will check it again without the carbs when i will be redoing the sync next time.
I sincerely doubt you will get a much different reading if you take the carbs off,...as opposed to what both Herb said (about the slides removed)... and Lechy's observation (the throttle held open) .

Even if it was a bit better,........the readings to have reported are more than adequate to just keep riding your Bad Boy without any need for a rebuild.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sky02 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:08 pm
No need to pull the carbs. pull the 4 screws that hold the slide in, lift the slide out, do the compression check. Just be sure you keep the front and rear parts separated and the slide diaphram back in correctly, note the way the diaphram is oriented when you pull them out.

While you have them out check the diaphrams for holes.

sky02
Studying MC Handbook

Post by sky02 »

I have rebuild carbs and tuned the jets recently co everything is perfect.
I know you can just take the slide out. But you have to lift the tank and mess the sync.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Why bother?

I mean - you pull the carbs and don't get a "sufficient" reading. What do you do then? Get a better gauge? Rebuild a sweet running motor?

You got both cylinders putting out close to 140 on a dubious cheap gauge - just call it good.

sky02
Studying MC Handbook

Post by sky02 »

Just to satisfy my curiosity :D and test if there is difference with and without the restriction of slides. But I will do it during the next carb sync. Im not that curious.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

A heads up on the diaphragm covers, the rear is no problem but the front cover has a small detent on the inner circumference which aligns with the small orifice on the carb body. Not sure if they all have this or what purpose it serves but it is another thing to check.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

sky02
Studying MC Handbook

Post by sky02 »

Lechy wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:55 am
A heads up on the diaphragm covers, the rear is no problem but the front cover has a small detent on the inner circumference which aligns with the small orifice on the carb body. Not sure if they all have this or what purpose it serves but it is another thing to check.
I already rebuild them and tuned the needles, even changed one slide but thanks ;)