Electrical weirdness

mikebet45
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2001 Intruder 1400

Electrical weirdness

Post by mikebet45 »

Bike had been sitting for a while and when I turned on the ignition the indicated voltage (I have a digital voltmeter wired directly to the battery) went from 12 down to 6 or so and then when I pushed the starter button the digital voltmeter went completely blank. OK, low battery, so I hooked up my Deltran charger and began to see some strange things. The voltage fluctuated every second or so by a huge margin -- 12.5 - 15.1 - 6.6 - 13.0 - 8.6- 15.0 -7.2 -- etc. -- constantly going from very high to very low. Leaving the charger on for an extended time doesn't seem to change anything. What's happening? I hope it's as simple as a bad battery but I've never seen that wildly fluctuating voltage while charging before.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Electrical weirdness

Post by Herb »

Sounds like a bad battery to me. There are places that will load test the battery for free.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Before you try and chase down a gremlin take the battery to any auto parts store and have it load tested. If you don't start with a good battery you will never find the issue. But like Herb said it is probably a bad battery.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Just to check - do you have the charger connected directly to the battery terminals or is it connected via the bikes wiring? More than likely a dud battery but also symptoms of loose wire connections.

mikebet45
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2001 Intruder 1400

Post by mikebet45 »

Charger is wired directly to the battery terminals with harness provided by Deltran. I'd better just get a new battery because I don't know the age of this one and I'd hate to get stranded up in the Sierra where there is no phone service.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

mikebet45 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:20 pm
Charger is wired directly to the battery terminals with harness provided by Deltran. I'd better just get a new battery because I don't know the age of this one and I'd hate to get stranded up in the Sierra where there is no phone service.
Smart move.

Just as Herb and Sgtcall mention. the foundation of any-and-all good running is a Battery in full charge and top condition.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

a loose connection will also give sporadic readings

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

mikebet45 wrote:
Charger is wired directly to the battery terminals with harness provided by Deltran.
You probably want to check that connection first up. Might simply be a loose cable.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Designer wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:30 pm
mikebet45 wrote:
Smart move. Just as Herb and Sgtcall mention. the foundation of any-and-all good running is a Battery in full charge and top condition.
It's obvious, but needs be said ........when you preplace the Battery, any loose connection issues will be fully addressed in their entirety.

And given you do not know the age of the battery, (and thus it's reliability in the remoteness of Sierra Mountain Environment),....replacing it seems to be Sensible and Cheap Insurance. :space: :dunno:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:01 am

It's obvious, but needs be said ........when you preplace the Battery, any loose connection issues will be fully addressed in their entirety.

The battery terminals are not the only electrical connections in the system.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:08 am
Designer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:01 am
The battery terminals are not the only electrical connections in the system.
Seems to me that the battery connection(s) at the battery is what you were talking about him checking. :space: Especially since he was talking about the Deltran wire,...which gets connected only to the Battery Post Terminals.
hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:34 am
mikebet45 wrote:
Charger is wired directly to the battery terminals with harness provided by Deltran.
You probably want to check that connection first up. Might simply be a loose cable.
And,...he says the voltmeter is also connected only at the battery;
mikebet45 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:33 am
...... (I have a digital voltmeter wired directly to the battery)

:dunno:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

I said check that first.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:13 am
I said check that first.

What I am saying is that when he wisely replaces the Battery, ( for the stated reasons mentioned) checking for looseness at the current Battery Connections at the Battery Terminals would not be necessary.

Wouldn't you agree? :space: :dunno:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

FYI, each and every battery cable has two ends.... :uhh:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:30 am
If the charger and the volt meter connections are at the battery and he is getting strange readings, the issue pretty much has to be at the battery.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

navigator wrote:
LOL
The end you see and the end you dont see

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

navigator wrote:
No nav - there's only one end on a battery cable - Springy is the expert here :lmao:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:47 pm
navigator wrote:
No nav - there's only one end on a battery cable - Springy is the expert here :lmao:
In the interests of posting what is Factually Accurate Information on our Tech Board,... so as to be The Best Benefit To Others,.....Please hillsy,....show us all where I said what you say I did .....(posted underlined above) .

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:19 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
navigator wrote:
In the interests of posting what is Factually Accurate Information on our Tech Board,... so as to be The Best Benefit To Others,.....Please hillsy,....show us all where I said what you say I did .....(posted underlined above) .
Considering the way the gripe was written, the following pretty much covers it and the other end could be hanging out in space for all the fucking difference it makes.

"If the charger and the volt meter connections are at the battery and he is getting strange readings, the issue pretty much has to be at the battery."

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:19 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
navigator wrote:
I never claimed you said anything - if you want to go off on another of your pissy little rants you should technically be aiming it at navigator.