Looking at buying a 95 1400. Wire question

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 96 Intruder 1400

Looking at buying a 95 1400. Wire question

Post by Bajatcr7 »

Hello everyone.
I'm looking at a 1400. One of the pics has a plug sticking out above the left side cover. Anyone know what this plug goes to? Not sure how to get a pic in here.
https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/88f8EbbAczRZ

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: Looking at buying a 95 1400. Wire question

Post by FallenAngel »

looks like the plug for the ign control module

have you heard it run?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

Page 7-16 in the Service Manual.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I agree with FallenAngel.

The ignition control is bolted to the bottom of the seat.

What is the condition of the rest of the bike, mileage, etc?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bajatcr7 »

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the cdi box. Owner says bike doesn't run and he doesn't know what's wrong with it. He took it as a sight unseen trade. Low miles, nasty twin exhaust, Jardine forward controls, think mustang seat and a modified 5 gal tank. Not running and no way of knowing exactly what's wrong without the cdi, I'm thinking 500$ just to start diagnostics. Was going to offer 600 for the bike.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Non runner with a title
If the paint and chrome are in good shape I may offer 600
Look on the bottom of the seat to see if the CDI is bolted to it

Best of luck

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bajatcr7 »

Ok everyone, I did end up buying this bike. Pretty much sight unseen as it was a few hours from me and my free time is very little.
Now on to the fun stuff. After picking the bike up and getting it home it appears that it has been parked for more than several years. Throttle is / was seized up, dry rotted tires and last inspection sticker is from 16 years ago. As stated earlier I have no real history on the bike due to it being a trade in purchase.
It has dual aftermarket pipes (I haven't checked for baffles yet) and K&N drop in filters with the stock airboxes. I pulled the carbs to clean them due to the throttle not turning and believe it may still have stock jets. (140/xx rear, and 125/50 front).
Now finally to my 1st of I'm sure many questions over the next few months as I slowly bring this old girl back to life.
Should I assume it's been running lean and bump the jets a little or put it back together as it was and see what it does after I get it going? If you suggest bumping the jets how high should I take them for a 1st attempt? Thx in advance for any and all help.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

If it were me, i'd get it running in it's current state before throwing more money into modifications.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Nav is correct. Not knowing what is wrong with it it would be best to make sure it will run, with no major problem, before throwing money at it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bajatcr7 »

Lol, that was kind of my thought, and I know there is no one size fits all when it comes to rejetting carbs. Just needed some reassuring that I was making the right choice. Of all the Intruders I have owned through the years this is the 1st one where I had to open the carbs up. It really wasn't that bad. Thanks for the replies. Updates will come slow but I will post as I go.

Does anyone know where to get a cheap CDI unit, and which years are actually compatible if I can find one?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

It looks like a great bike. I would pull the tank and give it a good cleaning out before you try to start it.

BronxIntruder is in Eastern PA and may have a CDI Box, I will try to get him up on the thread for you.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Bajatcr7 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:55 am

Does anyone know where to get a cheap CDI unit, and which years are actually compatible if I can find one?
Stock CDI's are hard to find for the 1400

You can try Dynatec I have them on 2 of my bikes and Im happy with them
there about $400 and have adjustable advance curves

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Bajatcr7 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:22 am
Now finally to my 1st of I'm sure many questions over the next few months as I slowly bring this old girl back to life.
Should I assume it's been running lean and bump the jets a little or put it back together as it was and see what it does after I get it going? If you suggest bumping the jets how high should I take them for a 1st attempt? Thx in advance for any and all help.
I would agree with Navagator
Get it running first then maybe re jet the carbs if needed
Chances are with after market exhaust and K&N drop in filters it has already been rejeted
DId you mention in your Posts that it does turn over??

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bajatcr7 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:21 pm
It looks like a great bike. I would pull the tank and give it a good cleaning out before you try to start it.

BronxIntruder is in Eastern PA and may have a CDI Box, I will try to get him up on the thread for you.
Thx,
Yeah tank was 7/8 of the way full so not a lot of rust in there. I drained it and currently soaking it in vinegar to hopefully clean what little rust and any sludge I may not be able to see.
When I sold my last intruder Bronx was still in NY and looking to move south.

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bajatcr7 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:26 pm
Bajatcr7 wrote:

Stock CDI's are hard to find for the 1400

You can try Dynatec I have them on 2 of my bikes and Im happy with them
there about $400 and have adjustable advance curves
Thx,
Long term the goal may be dynatek. For now I was hoping to find something at 25% that cost to test with. For 400$ if I'm patient enough I can probably find a parts bike.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

sgtcall wrote:

Yup.. What he said. Lol.
Bajatcr7 wrote:
Lol, that was kind of my thought, and I know there is no one size fits all when it comes to rejetting carbs. Just needed some reassuring that I was making the right choice. Of all the Intruders I have owned through the years this is the 1st one where I had to open the carbs up. It really wasn't that bad. Thanks for the replies. Updates will come slow but I will post as I go.

Pretty sure I don't have one but will take a look around. Where you located?

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bajatcr7 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:36 pm
Bajatcr7 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:22 am
I would agree with Navagator
Get it running first then maybe re jet the carbs if needed
Chances are with after market exhaust and K&N drop in filters it has already been rejeted
DId you mention in your Posts that it does turn over??
Thx,
Yeah the bike cranks and sounds good while doing it. I don't have a compression tester but cranking it, it sounds healthy.
I think it's stock jetting.
Rear was 140 main and I forgot to check the idle while it was out, front was 125 and 50.
I know / knew these bikes were already lean from the factory which is why I was considering bumping them up a little.

Bajatcr7
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bajatcr7 »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:38 pm
sgtcall wrote:

Yup.. What he said. Lol.
Bajatcr7 wrote:

Pretty sure I don't have one but will take a look around. Where you located?
Hello Bronx, it's been a long time.
I'm 10 minutes SouthWest of where I80 crosses into PA. Just south of the Delaware Water Gap if you're familiar.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Bajatcr7 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:36 pm
Thx,
Long term the goal may be dynatek. For now I was hoping to find something at 25% that cost to test with. For 400$ if I'm patient enough I can probably find a parts bike.
After some searching I was able to locate CDI's for the 800's under 100 bucks but nothing for the 1400's except for the Dynatech.

You did get a very nice looking bike though

Keep us posted

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

I don't know if there is anything left but you could try here.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13413