Why the decompression circuit?

mikebet45
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2001 Intruder 1400

Why the decompression circuit?

Post by mikebet45 »

I have owned a 1500 Goldwing and three V-twins -- 1100 Virago, Harley Electra Glide and a Vulcan 1500 -- and none of them had (or apparently needed) decompression valves at starting. So why does the 1400 Intruder need it? 9.3:1 compression ratio is not exactly sky-high. I know that Suzukis are generally reputed to have weak starters -- the Virago's sounded like a tin can full of marbles -- but it's kind of strange that they didn't put sturdier starters on these bikes if they anticipated a problem rather than a solenoid, network of cables and the added complexity of release valves. And the system is apparently unnecessary anyway. Mine is not working as I view it with the chrome valve cover off (no cable movement at all even after lubing and adjustment) but the bike starts OK. But just in case I do need to do something in the future what's the easiest way to access the cleverly hidden solenoid?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Why the decompression circuit?

Post by sgtcall »

mikebet45 wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:58 am
I have owned a 1500 Goldwing and three V-twins -- 1100 Virago, Harley Electra Glide and a Vulcan 1500 -- and none of them had (or apparently needed) decompression valves at starting. So why does the 1400 Intruder need it? 9.3:1 compression ratio is not exactly sky-high. I know that Suzukis are generally reputed to have weak starters -- the Virago's sounded like a tin can full of marbles -- but it's kind of strange that they didn't put sturdier starters on these bikes if they anticipated a problem rather than a solenoid, network of cables and the added complexity of release valves. And the system is apparently unnecessary anyway. Mine is not working as I view it with the chrome valve cover off (no cable movement at all even after lubing and adjustment) but the bike starts OK. But just in case I do need to do something in the future what's the easiest way to access the cleverly hidden solenoid?
I can't answer any real questions but I sure someone will chime in. In the mean time you can find the service manual here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168 and in the 'other information' folder you can find more on the decomp adjustment. Here https://www.dropbox.com/s/slouooavobjdx ... t.pdf?dl=0
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

If you have the evap cannister you have to pull it first. might be easier to pull the damn engine... first try lubing the cables using a spray hose to wash the grit and grime out of it and spraying it good with a penatrationg oil, like PB Blaster.

If it is starting good for your use, maybe leave the thing alone.

As for the reason for it: Smaller (cheaper) starter, smaller (cheaper) battery, easier cold starts, large amount of rotating weight are the reasons given.

I think the first 2 are the main reasons but I don't see how they saved any money or weight with the added weight and cost of all the extra components. I have never really understood the reasoning either. :bang: :bang: :bang:

BTW, when Honda first came out with electric starters on the 250 and 305s, early 60's, they recommended that the first start of the day be done with the kick starter. I am not sure if they recommended that for the 150s :cheers:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

It's not so much the starter motors or circuitry that are prone to fail - but the starter clutches by their very design are a weak point when it comes to big CC twins. Virago's as mentioned are notorious for destroying starter clutches and even Suzuki's own Dr BIG was another culprit (750 / 800cc single). In normal operation they are fine but if there is a backfire / kickback then the starter clutches can get damaged.

The decomp was probably the easiest way to ensure the starter clutches would be OK - as well as just generally helping all round with less stress on the system.