Idles/revs great, but in motion bogs down

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1998 Intruder 1400

Idles/revs great, but in motion bogs down

Post by D98vs1400 »

Hey guys,

So my bike has been sitting for a while, but not without plugged into battery tender and turning on once a month for several mins to rev and warm up. Weather is getting nicer here in PNW, so decided to take her out for a spin. I warm her up for a few mins like i usually do and then i take off. As soon as i do, she starting bogging down like not getting enough fuel or something but doesnt shut off though. I put her in neutral and idles just fine. I rev it up hard and she growls loudly. I then take off again and same thing. She even throws in so popping here and there. I manage to still get her up to about 40 in 3rd gear but the WHOLE time shes just boggin down. Any ideas?? Thanks.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Idles/revs great, but in motion bogs down

Post by hillsy v2 »

D98vs1400 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:07 pm

So my bike has been sitting for a while
How long is a while? Gas might be stale or carbs a bit gummed up if the gas is old.

Try changing the gas for fresh first of all and see if that helps.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

That sounds like a vent issue. The gas cap has a vent that can clog up and it needs to be disassembled and cleaned. No vent no air to the tank so as the fuel pump pulls the fuel in the tank builds pressure and doesn't allow fuel to flow. And what Hillsy said.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Check the air filters.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

Well i swapped out the gas for fresh gas. Checked the air filters and they're both clean and intact. As for the gas cap, a while back i did throw a rubber ring around the locking part that goes into the tank because it was just so loose and it would vibrate/shake like crazy every time i revved. I removed the rubber ring and took it for a ride. Still bogging down. I also replaced the spark plugs since i noticed i hadnt replaced in a couple years. Not sure how frequently they should be changed. I had put on 5K miles since they were last changed. They plugs were pretty black colored. Not gunky or anything. Dry but all black. That usually indicates running a richer A/F mix no?

So at this point, im going the seafoam route. Ive taken these carbs apart too many times in the several years ive had this bike and im just too carb'd out to go thru that again. If the seafoam doesnt clean it, just going to take it to a shop to have them do it i guess.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Pull the covers off the carbs and check the sliders are moving freely.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

The gas cap takes about 5 minutes to pull apart, clean and put back together. It is only the 2 screws on the bottom of the cap if I remember correctly. You need to make sure the float is moving freely so that the tank can breathe. It is an easy check just to rule it out.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:54 am
The gas cap takes about 5 minutes to pull apart, clean and put back together. It is only the 2 screws on the bottom of the cap if I remember correctly. You need to make sure the float is moving freely so that the tank can breathe. It is an easy check just to rule it out.
Are you referring to the little ball bearing inside? It's what has to be able to move freely?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

D98vs1400 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:44 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:54 am
Are you referring to the little ball bearing inside? It's what has to be able to move freely?
Yes. But the vets have to be free of any blockage too.

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

Well, interesting enough, i threw some seafoam in it several days ago and while i rode it around i checked all the other things i was told to check, and then on my way home from work today i was on the freeway and with the throttle about about halfway i was struggling around 60mph and then BAM.... like as if a nitrous shot was released or something but she just TOOK... OFF. It literally jerked my head back she and climbed to 70 and then 80 like super easily. I can only assume i had gotten some crud somewhere in the fuel system, and maybe the seafoam broke it down and cleaned it enough to pass thru, but now shes punchin thru like a champ. :clap:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Sounds like there was a water droplet that the seafoam broke down.

Glad to hear that the fix was that easy...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Many people do not agree but IMO Seafoam works. Keep adding it for the next couple of tanks then add it every few tanks just to keep the system clean.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:18 am
Many people do not agree but IMO Seafoam works. Keep adding it for the next couple of tanks then add it every few tanks just to keep the system clean.
I can attest to your conclusion. :space: I've had it "work" waaaayyy too many times to not use it for Maintenance and "fix it" application(s) .

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Happy to hear you got it I noticed in your profile you live in Seattle
I live in the north end what part do you live in

Sea Foam is good for a lot of fuel problems I may also use some fuel stabilizer But by the time you read this most of the old fuel should be flushed out
I have 3 1400s And a few parts

D98vs1400
Studying MC Handbook

Post by D98vs1400 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:07 pm
Happy to hear you got it I noticed in your profile you live in Seattle
I live in the north end what part do you live in
Yeah, i think im going to make seafoam a regular use thing.

I live in northgate, you?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Sea Foam is an excellent fuel system and top end cleaner

I live in Lake City about 4 blocks from Fred Meyer