Tachometer

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2005 suzuki boulevard s83

Tachometer

Post by ImPrevious »

Hello Friends,

I am inquiring on tachs that you guys have installed and how you did it. Its not a necessity and i'm not trying to break the bank but I would like to add one for the right price.

Complimentary pics of course

sky02
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400 93

Re: Tachometer

Post by sky02 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225552045345?h ... SwdclkSi4o

I use that kind of tacho for setting idle during syncing. Its just one wire that you either wrap around spark plug wire or even better connect it at coil.
I think that fancy needle ones can be connected the same way. Maybe the will need additional power supply for the needle motor by connecting it to batter but you have fuse box near.

One thing that you have to consider is the number of spark plug fires per revolution. This digital one can be set to either one fire per rpm, 2 fires per revolution or 1 fire every other revolution.
I dont remember at which setting i have it for VS1400 but i think that Intruders have false fires ( it fires also at exhaust stroke)

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2005 suzuki boulevard s83

Post by ImPrevious »

sky02 wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:18 am
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225552045345?h ... SwdclkSi4o

I use that kind of tacho for setting idle during syncing. Its just one wire that you either wrap around spark plug wire or even better connect it at coil.
I think that fancy needle ones can be connected the same way. Maybe the will need additional power supply for the needle motor by connecting it to batter but you have fuse box near.

One thing that you have to consider is the number of spark plug fires per revolution. This digital one can be set to either one fire per rpm, 2 fires per revolution or 1 fire every other revolution.
I dont remember at which setting i have it for VS1400 but i think that Intruders have false fires ( it fires also at exhaust stroke)
Thanks man, i have a handheld tach for setting idle which adjust easily so ill figure it out that way. I've never wired a proper tach before so this is great.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Most of the generic / universal tachs are adjustable between single, twin, I4, etc so you can get the reading right. Downside is most of the analogue style tachs have high redlines whereas the Intruders redline around 6k.

mikebet45
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2001 Intruder 1400

Post by mikebet45 »

Which terminal (i.e., wire color) on the coil do you hook up the tach to?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Grow old disgracefully young man.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Grow old disgracefully young man.