Dying while riding

Andreas Roth
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 vs1400

Dying while riding

Post by Andreas Roth »

Well not me obviously :bonk:

So here's the deal, I own a -96 1400.

Last year it died while riding. Long story short i have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay. The carbs are clean. This happened this weekend with only 3-400 miles on the new pump. Bike dies and the pump refuses to prime. Completely dead. Apparently something is feeding impulses to the pump. Don't know what.

Anyone else had this issue?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Dying while riding

Post by navigator »

Go here for a wiring diagram and manual.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14169

Have you checked your fuses?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

There is a relay that controls the fuel pump and it is a known issue that it can play up.

You can bypass the relay and wire the fuel pump into the orange / white wire that comes from the kill switch (it also goes into the ignitor). That way you have the pump power on when the kill switch is on and no relay.

Andreas Roth
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 vs1400

Post by Andreas Roth »

Thank you the replies.

As stated above, both relay and pump are new as of 400 miles give or take. Done the whole bypass before, rode around with a piece of cable in my pocket just waiting for the relay to conk out.

What I want to do now is delve deeper and find out what causes these problems. Something is obviously "eating" parts.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Andreas Roth wrote: ↑
Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 pm
Thank you the replies.

As stated above, both relay and pump are new as of 400 miles give or take. Done the whole bypass before, rode around with a piece of cable in my pocket just waiting for the relay to conk out.

What I want to do now is delve deeper and find out what causes these problems. Something is obviously "eating" parts.
The way you put this it appears it is the relay that has caused the problem. I would verify the wiring to the relay is good and that the signal (ground) from the ign box is not being interupted.

Personally, the relay went bad on mine years ago, jumpered the connector, threw the relay away and haven't had an issue since.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Also check the voltage output of the regulator. You may be overcharging your entire system.