Fuel pump operation

SVS140
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400

Fuel pump operation

Post by SVS140 »

Question on the 1400's fuel pump as I'm getting some strange behaviour....

Am I expected to hear the fuel pump's buzzing noise when I turn on the ignition?

I read in another post that the priming sequence is to leave the clutch and press the starter button for a few seconds and then grab the clutch and press the starter button again at which point it should start.

In my case, if I leave the bike say for a week with the fuel valve shut closed, I don't manage to start it unless I eliminate the fuel pump relay and jump the fuel pump. When I jump the pump, I hear it buzzing and the bike comes to life. Then I reconnect the FP relay and it works all the time.

I notice that with the relay connected, I NEVER heard the pump priming, I always assumed it primed while cranking at which point I can't hear it anyway.

Any thoughts? Should I hear it priming?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Fuel pump operation

Post by sgtcall »

SVS140 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:50 pm
Question on the 1400's fuel pump as I'm getting some strange behaviour....

Am I expected to hear the fuel pump's buzzing noise when I turn on the ignition?

I read in another post that the priming sequence is to leave the clutch and press the starter button for a few seconds and then grab the clutch and press the starter button again at which point it should start.

In my case, if I leave the bike say for a week with the fuel valve shut closed, I don't manage to start it unless I eliminate the fuel pump relay and jump the fuel pump. When I jump the pump, I hear it buzzing and the bike comes to life. Then I reconnect the FP relay and it works all the time.

I notice that with the relay connected, I NEVER heard the pump priming, I always assumed it primed while cranking at which point I can't hear it anyway.

Any thoughts? Should I hear it priming?
Unless the bike is running you should only hear the pump when you leave the clutch out and press the start button. I had the same issue and put in an after market made in China pump that worked for years without issue. It was only about $25 and worked as well as the OEM one did.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

SVS140
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400

Post by SVS140 »

Hey Sergeant,

Am I expected to hear it on its own or will the bike still crank without the clutch engaged?

Thx.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

SVS140 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:06 pm
Hey Sergeant,

Am I expected to hear it on its own or will the bike still crank without the clutch engaged?

Thx.
You shouldn't hear it without the clutch engaged and pressing the starter if the engine is not running.
Lechy wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:08 pm
navigator wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:45 am
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I got rid of that damned relay and hooked the pump up to the orange/white wire at the CDI. It now primes direct from the ignition and in case of an emergency can be shut down with the kill switch.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I jumpered the relay connector. I hear the pump running when I turn on the ignition switch. It has worked fine for many years.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.