Engine noise

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 90 Suzuki VS 1400

Engine noise

Post by Juan71 »

Hi folks,
i get a metálic noise come from the engine. seems not a valve noise, it's like a noise come from the stator.
How can i attach a video of the noise?
Please, if Someone knows what could be the problem...
I have changed the stator about 3/4 years ago, all it's ok with the battery (tested with multimeter and all ok) good battery and good rechearging. i just have changed oil, filter and spark plugs.
Thinking about opening the stator cover and check what's going on in it.
thinking about the stator touch with something or something similar this.
thank you in advance for yours reply.
Gianni from Canary Island

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Re: Engine noise

Post by Juan71 »

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

With the video it is hard to tell where it is coming from.

Sound can travel a long way through metal and it is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from.

You can buy a mechanics stethoscope at almost any auto supply store that will allow you to pinpoint were the noise is coming from. Or you can use a long screwdriver, put the handle to your ear and the tip against different parts of the cases to find where the noise is the loudest.

There is the cam chain drive in there, don't forget that all of the starter drive is in there also and the parts have a tendency to fall out when pulling the cover.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Sounds like something to do with the stator / starter clutch. Remove the cover and have a look. Not sure on the 1400, but the 1500 has a thrust washer on the starter idler gear which is easy to lose and can cause problems.

FWIW - I had a similar noise on a GS1150 and it ended up being the stator bolts had backed out and were grinding on the rotor.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

Herb wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:13 am
With the video it is hard to tell where it is coming from.

Sound can travel a long way through metal and it is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from.

You can buy a mechanics stethoscope at almost any auto supply store that will allow you to pinpoint were the noise is coming from. Or you can use a long screwdriver, put the handle to your ear and the tip against different parts of the cases to find where the noise is the loudest.

There is the cam chain drive in there, don't forget that all of the starter drive is in there also and the parts have a tendency to fall out when pulling the cover.
Hi Herb, last Year a mechanic have changed the chain tensioner, he check the chain and say me the chain was ok. (opened the engine to change the gearbox - a used one, some more works came out )
gears are ok. i will try the long screwdriver tip to find from. where come out the noise.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:53 pm
Sounds like something to do with the stator / starter clutch. Remove the cover and have a look. Not sure on the 1400, but the 1500 has a thrust washer on the starter idler gear which is easy to lose and can cause problems.

FWIW - I had a similar noise on a GS1150 and it ended up being the stator bolts had backed out and were grinding on the rotor.
Hi hillsy, i think this is what i have to do.
sound like something from the stator. hoping that not something with the starter clutch 'cause i think i have to open the engine to solve it. isn' t it?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Juan71 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:01 am
hillsy v2 wrote:

sound like something from the stator. hoping that not something with the starter clutch 'cause i think i have to open the engine to solve it. isn' t it?
Starter clutch is behind the rotor which is underneath the side cover. No need to pull the motor apart.

Juan71
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Juan71 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:53 am
Juan71 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:01 am
hillsy v2 wrote:

Starter clutch is behind the rotor which is underneath the side cover. No need to pull the motor apart.
Thank you so much, what a good news.