Gas tank

Msarro88
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 97 intruder vs1400

Gas tank

Post by Msarro88 »

What’s up. Where can I find myself a replacement gas tank? I have a 97 intruder 1400. I tried cleaning it out. And sealing it. But somehow there’s still rust built up. I’m guessing inside underneath were reserve gas sits. after I thought the tank was good. Cleaned the carbs. It started up. I let it sit for 2 days till, went to start it up and sounds like it starving for fuel again. I’m guessing the carbs need another cleaning. Haven’t got to it yet but I emptied the tank and saw some pieces of rust fall out. Not a lot but enough for concern.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Gas tank

Post by sgtcall »

https://www.partzilla.com/ may have them in stock. You can get a tank from any model year VS1400 but you may have to search through the years to find paint that will match. I had a 98 VS1400 and bought another year tank that had the same paint colors but a different pattern than the 98. But any tank will fit. You can find them on Ebay but you never know if they are going to have issues.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Msarro88 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:14 am
What’s up. Where can I find myself a replacement gas tank? I have a 97 intruder 1400. I tried cleaning it out. And sealing it. But somehow there’s still rust built up. I’m guessing inside underneath were reserve gas sits. after I thought the tank was good. Cleaned the carbs. It started up. I let it sit for 2 days till, went to start it up and sounds like it starving for fuel again. I’m guessing the carbs need another cleaning. Haven’t got to it yet but I emptied the tank and saw some pieces of rust fall out. Not a lot but enough for concern.
Here are a couple of things to check out as you search for your tank.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Rockdoc
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 VS1400GLP

Post by Rockdoc »

I purchased a 2002 VS1400 GLP Intruder almost a year ago. It had some surface rust in the tank. I sloshed a quart of gasoline around to rinse it out and next purchased a small inline gasoline filter (picked up at a lawnmower shop) with a clear plastic housing and installed it between the gas tank's shutoff valve and the fuel pump. I added some additional hose length and located the filter between the rear cylinder and the area housing the fuel pump. I did this so I could observe it easily. I've ridden the bike about 500 miles and have had no problems with sediment buildup in the carbs. However, I do see a few rust/sediment particles inside the filter on the inlet side of actual filter element. So far the gas filter seems to be working fine. I also replaced all the gas hoses. Total cost for the filter and hoses was about $15.

Steve

Msarro88
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Msarro88 »

Thanks for the info. I think im going to try the inline fuel filter out for sure. Definitely the cheapest way for a potential quick fix. Did u purchase oem fuel line? Not sure if yours is the same set up as my year but mine come pre bent because of the way they connect to the petcock under my tank. I’m sure straight fuel line will kink from the bend and stop fuel flow.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

If you are doing new fuel lines pull the fuel cock from the tank and turn the main fuel pipe half a turn, it is the bent pipe inside the tank. Reinstall with the outlets pointed to the back of the bike. This will point the main shut off toward the front of the bike but make routing the lines much easier if you use standard fuel line instead of the pre-shaped OEM lines. I believe the correct fuel line size is 5/16th but someone needs to confirm that. You also need to make sure you get the ethanol resistant fuel line.

Msarro88
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Msarro88 »

Thanks. That helps a lot. But iv came to the conclusion that I messed up when sealing my tank. I didn’t clean the rust out enough. The sealant didn’t stick the way it should because there wasn’t bare metal to adhere to. It’s literally bubbled up and separated. I’m going to have to go with a new tank. I found one I can modify hopefully. I appreciate the help.