'97 1400 won't turn over

jpacman
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1997 Intruder 1400

'97 1400 won't turn over

Post by jpacman »

Lots of work done but I'm new to this models peculiarities. Specifically all of the "safety" interlocks. I get most of them: clutch switch, side stand switch, etc. I have a 3-ring binder shop manual and it has been fairly helpful in finding and fixing most of the obvious issues and performing the maintenance I've done already.

OK, work done: carbs cleaned (new seals but reinstalled the stock jets), rebuilt brake and clutch master and slave cylinders (all 6), new spark plugs, sealed the leaking gas tank, rebuilt forks, new wheel bearings, new tires, new air filters, new fuel petcock, replaced fuel cap gasket, new front fender, new AGM battery (charged and load tested OK), cleaned and lubed all of the cables for the auto-decompression system, cleaned and checked the function of all the handlebar switches, new covers for all 3 seat sections. Basically, I either laid hands on it and maintained it or I replaced it.

Once I get it started and warmed up, I'll change the engine oil. Once I ride it a little, I'll change the rear dif oil.

PROBLEM
When I filled the gas tank and connected it to the rest of the system for the first time, the fuel pump leaked when I turned the key to start it. I ordered a new one; it'll be here this week. I can hear the fuel pump running but the starter solenoid won't fully engage. It "clicks" like the battery is low but it load tests OK.

So after 6 months of on and off work, I still haven't heard this motor turn over. Ideas of where to go next?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: '97 1400 won't turn over

Post by navigator »

For the starter solenoid:
First be sure the negative battery cable has a good contact to the frame or engine.
Second, you can bypass the solenoid by jumping the two large lugs with a screwdriver, the starter should turn the engine over. Be sure you are in neutral.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I had a problem with ny 99 starting, barely turned over, I found the wire to the starter was corroded at the starter, cleaned and it started fine.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Does the motor turn over by hand?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

navigator wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:28 am
First be sure the negative battery cable has a good contact to the frame or engine.
Second, you can bypass the solenoid by jumping the two large lugs with a screwdriver, the starter should turn the engine over. Be sure you are in neutral.
Don't forget to have the clutch pulled back when you bypass the solenoid.

If you don't want to wait for the fuel pump to come in you can bypass it temporarily.
See here.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11559&p=167081&hil ... mp#p167081
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:43 pm
navigator wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:28 am
Don't forget to have the clutch pulled back when you bypass the solenoid.

You don't need to pull the clutch sgt - jumpering the terminals at the solenoid provides current directly to the starter motor.

You would want to check the motor isn't locked though - if it's on its wheels pull the spark plugs, put it in gear and try to roll the bike forward to rotate the motor.

ncdave
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 97 1400 Intruder

Post by ncdave »

Welcome. Sounds like you've done some great work already. I'm in the process of resurrecting a 98 model. There's nothing from my experience so far that adds to help, but I can tell you that you are in good hands here. the guys have been great with ideas as I've worked through my problems. :cheers: