Carb jetting

Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400 1999

Carb jetting

Post by Voodoo13 »

Hey guys.

Airbox delete, kn filters, open pipes, 160 145 main jets. Should I put a bigger pilot jet?

The bike screams and works like a beast... until 5th gear. I can rev slowly and it works (new top speed 😉) but if I turn the accelorator too fast it just farts and slowly chokes.

Any ideas?
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Carb jetting

Post by Lechy »

Possibly you don't have enough negative pressure in the venturi to lift the slider, try putting some socks on your pods.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Voodoo13 »

Already done. Waiting for the snow to clear. Yes, we got snow in april :hellfire: Iceland is great they said....

Going to take it for a spin. If that doesnt work Im going to lift the needle just a little bit. If THAT doesnt work, a little bit bigger mains

Thank you for your response!
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Read this thread and the solution he found....sounds like the same problem as yours.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14348

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

navigator wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:55 pm
Read this thread and the solution he found....sounds like the same problem as yours.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14348
It amazes me that people think they must be improving performance by ditching the factory airboxes and running pods.

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Post by thedaydreamer »

Always tune your bike from the top down,,,start with the main jet, it HAS to be correct and can cause problems downstream if not,,,,tune in this order,,,main, needle position, pilot jet, misture screw,,,,,if your main jet is correct it will pull hard in every gear throughout the rpm range, with no hitches,,,I have the K&N drop ins with open drag pipes, dyna igniton and BCT baffles and im running 127 and 142 mains and one bump up on the pilots, needle on 3rd position front and rear,,,,mixture screws 2.5 out front and 1.75 on rear and the bike screams in every gear,,your bike may differ for sure,,,,,you may be too big on the mains,,,,here is the best tuning guide I have seen http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_p ... gines.html

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Post by thedaydreamer »

WOT typically indicates main jets, HOWEVER you could have other issues causing this problem, whats your needle position? mixture screw setting. pilot size? I think it may be the mains being too big, a pilot swap is not likely to fix this issue, are the carbs synced properly, this is a tricky bike to tune

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Voodoo13 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:58 am
Hey guys. Airbox delete, kn filters, open pipes, 160 145 main jets. Should I put a bigger pilot jet? The bike screams and works like a beast... until 5th gear. I can rev slowly and it works (new top speed 😉) but if I turn the accelorator too fast it just farts and slowly chokes. Any ideas?
Before you spend all sorts of time with jetting to try to solve this problem......What sort of baffle do you have in your open pipes?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Big factor....
thedaydreamer wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:21 pm
I have the K&N drop ins
Voodoo13 wrote:
Airbox delete, kn filters,

Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Voodoo13 »

Designer wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:20 pm
Voodoo13 wrote:
Hey guys. Airbox delete, kn filters, open pipes, 160 145 main jets. Should I put a bigger pilot jet? The bike screams and works like a beast... until 5th gear. I can rev slowly and it works (new top speed 😉) but if I turn the accelorator too fast it just farts and slowly chokes. Any ideas?
Before you spend all sorts of time with jetting to try to solve this problem......What sort of baffle do you have in your open pipes?
Im not sure. I think it is vance and hines. It looks almost exactly the same as stock except a little bit smaller. Open through.
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

Voodoo13
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Voodoo13 »

Lechy wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:57 am
Possibly you don't have enough negative pressure in the venturi to lift the slider, try putting some socks on your pods.
I put socks over them and it worked. But it farts and explodes sometimes on steady gas.... :dunno:
Yours truly,

Arne Kristinn

mikebet45
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2001 Intruder 1400

Post by mikebet45 »

I put four pod air filters on my old Suzuki GV1200 Madura. Never could get it to run as well as with the OEM airbox setup. Anybody want to buy a set of pod filters? Foam is already oiled with gen-yoo-wine K&N oil, ready to install and present a lifetime of insoluble jetting challenges.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

mikebet45 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:18 pm
I put four pod air filters on my old Suzuki GV1200 Madura. Never could get it to run as well as with the OEM airbox setup. Anybody want to buy a set of pod filters? Foam is already oiled with gen-yoo-wine K&N oil, ready to install and present a lifetime of insoluble jetting challenges.
V4 layouts are particularly sensitive to turbulent air intake issues. As you have discovered, pods in this application is a massive downgrade.

The whole pod thing seemed to come to life with the hipster resurgence of the cafe racer. They would get shitty Jap bikes and strip everything off them to get that "look" of the open triangle under the seat - which meant they had to ditch the airbox in most cases. In the process they also stuffed up a lot of other things to get to that look which was supposed to emulate the 60's Brit bikes.

Here's a pretty generic example of a really crap CM400 that's been made even worse than stock by some clueless hipster: