Cam Chain Issue

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2005 suzuki boulevard s83

Cam Chain Issue

Post by ImPrevious »

Hello all,
i do believe that my cam chain has become loose and is making racket. I'm wondering about how much of a pain its going to be and if it'll be worth doing plus parts availability. I love the bike but i'm not married to it and if its not worth it ill replace it. Some advice or tips would be helpful.
Thanks

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Cam Chain Issue

Post by Designer »

I,...like you,...do also favor the 1400 and all it fine "personality traits".

May I ask,...what evidence(s) did you find that leads you to conclude it is a loose cam chain?

Why I ask is that is a quite uncommo0n issue with 1400's. :space: In all the years of Modding/Chopping/Customizing 1400's I participated in on the Purple Board, I don't recall this coming up as a problem before.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

Over the last week or so, i have been able to get out more due to the weather being cooperative. I noticed that a scraping noise started about 5 days ago that i couldnt quite put my finger on without tearing into it. Ive continued riding as it wasnt bothersome to me. However, the last 2 days it has gotten louder and the bike has started to backfire occasionally from my front cylinder. It also has had some trouble starting. The carbs are tuned well enough that they arent the reason for the back firing so i'm inclined to the timing chain being stretched or the tensioner having failed. The bike has 40k miles on it and shit wears out. Ive seen similar characteristics in other bikes and this being the problem but im trying to confirm from the experts.
Thanks

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I suppose that it is possible but I have never heard of it happening. I put over 150K miles on my 87 and the engine was running good but starting to use oil.
My 99 original engine ran 135K and then had a transmission problem. I tore it down to fix the trans and put new rings in it when I put it back together. I ran it until 200K and the trans started making noise so I put a used engine in it.
The replacement engine now has over 40K that I put on it and it was supposed to have about 25-30 K when I bought it.
None of them have had an issue with the chain.
I would be inclined to thing that there is an issue with the cam bearings from a plugged up oil passage or an issue with the the compression release system.
I don't know if there is enough room to get the front cam cover off with the engine in the frame to check out what is happening.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

You need to pull the engine out of the frame to get the cam covers off. Same as the 1500.

If your camchain tensioner has given up the cams will more than likely jump teeth and cause carnage. These are interference engines and if the cam timing is out pistons hit valves.

I had a strange grinding noise on a GS1150 once and it ended up being the bolts for the stator backing out and grinding on the rotor. Maybe not your problem but the point being is you should probably check the stuff you can access easily before you pull the motor out.

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

This is still unfortunate news.

Correct me if i am wrong but the only thing on the right side of the motor is the clutch and nothing has changed with that to cause noises

Im also not in the time or place to be pulling the whole motor which is mighty unfortunate. I didnt think there was enough room to pull it apart but i figured id ask

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Check the decompression solenoid, it may be dirty and not fully closing on release.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

ImPrevious wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:09 am

Correct me if i am wrong but the only thing on the right side of the motor is the clutch and nothing has changed with that to cause noises

This is the first time you have mentioned that the noise is coming from a particular side of the motor.

Can you post a video? Might be helpful at this point.

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

My apologies, i thought mentioned that before. If i can get a video i will but it only happens when moving. Its a light grinding noise coming from the right side. The more i have ridden it since it started (250miles) the louder it has gotten. And like i said prior, it has started to occasionally backfiring when i let off the throttle. This is why i am led to believe to be the cam chain. Maybe im completely wrong and know nothing lmao.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

ImPrevious wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:00 am
My apologies, i thought mentioned that before. If i can get a video i will but it only happens when moving. Its a light grinding noise coming from the right side. The more i have ridden it since it started (250miles) the louder it has gotten. And like i said prior, it has started to occasionally backfiring when i let off the throttle. This is why i am led to believe to be the cam chain. Maybe im completely wrong and know nothing lmao.
If it only happens when moving it is probably not a cam chain. I had a CB350 that had the cam chain guides wear out and it made a racket even when sitting still and reving the motor. The noise I was getting was not a scraping noise it was a clanking/slapping noise.

Is there any chance that the noise is coming from one of the brakes or maybe a wheel bearing?

The only thing on the right side that would make noise when moving that doesn't when sitting still is the transmission. Maybe block it off the ground and run it in gear using a mechanics stethescope to pinpoint the noise.

Sorry that I missed the only when moving at first.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

Herb wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:29 am
ImPrevious wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:00 am
If it only happens when moving it is probably not a cam chain. I had a CB350 that had the cam chain guides wear out and it made a racket even when sitting still and reving the motor. The noise I was getting was not a scraping noise it was a clanking/slapping noise.

Is there any chance that the noise is coming from one of the brakes or maybe a wheel bearing?

The only thing on the right side that would make noise when moving that doesn't when sitting still is the transmission. Maybe block it off the ground and run it in gear using a mechanics stethescope to pinpoint the noise.

Sorry that I missed the only when moving at first.
I'm fairly certain its not wheel bearing/brakes as it stops when I pull the clutch in and coast but it also only happens at lower rpms. Speed doesn't change anything

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

So the noise only happens under load and only when moving? What about on decel as you shift down?

What about an intake or exhaust leak? Both of those can make a rasping/screeching noise and cause it to back fire backfire.

Does it come more from the front, middle or rear of the engine and can you tell which cylinder is backfiring?

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

Herb wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:54 am
So the noise only happens under load and only when moving? What about on decel as you shift down?

What about an intake or exhaust leak? Both of those can make a rasping/screeching noise and cause it to back fire backfire.

Does it come more from the front, middle or rear of the engine and can you tell which cylinder is backfiring?
It happens under load and very mildly on decel
Front right of the engine and the front cylinder is backfiring. I have new exhaust gaskets coming so maybe those will fix it

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Check the boost sensor hose that comes off the rear of the front cylinder, it is by the intake. I had one that cracked but it make more of a whistling noise.

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

Ill check that tonight when i get off work.

What exactly does the boostt sensor do, i work on bikes but im not too familiar with these in that aspect

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

ImPrevious wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:16 am
Ill check that tonight when i get off work. What exactly does the boostt sensor do, i work on bikes but im not too familiar with these in that aspect
The Boost Sensor adjusts Spark timing ...mostly at cruise speeds.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

Herb wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:11 am
Check the boost sensor hose that comes off the rear of the front cylinder, it is by the intake. I had one that cracked but it make more of a whistling noise.
The boost sensor seems to be intact, all of the hoses are connected and soft. Nothing dry rotted.

Decomp solenoid also seems to be in spec

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

When you replace the exhaust gasket at the head, inspect the interior of the head pipe at the motor end.
It is a double walled pipe. the two pipes are welded together at that end.
I had the internal weld break adjacent to the flange, and would intermittently pop, rattle, backfire, etc.
It sounded as if it threw a rod.
Good luck with your endeavors.

ImPrevious
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ImPrevious »

So i figured it out over the weekend. I put the new exhaust gaskets in and took it for a ride.

Got on the road and still noticed the scraping noise but my back fire was gone so thats good.

I pulled into a gas station and noticed my frame cover panel was loose on the right side. I threw a zip tie on it and my scraping went away.

So long story short i am an idiot and needed 1 bolt and exhaust gaskets.

The Club Style intruder lives on

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

No, you are not an idiot.

It is really hard to diagnose an issue when 2 different things happen at about the same time. We have a tendency to try to put together the 2 and make them one.

I saw this happen many time while working aircraft maintenance. I found that it was better to t-shoot 1 issue at a time just as you did.

Thanks for posting the solution(s). It is always good to know what can happen when we see one or both in the future.