Two questions

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Two questions

Post by Acton67 »

So I've got the black VS 1400 I picked up in February running. It had some charging issues that the previous owner told me about. They mentioned that they replaced the regulator/rectifier but not the stator. I replaced the stator but that didn't fix the issue. I checked the regulator rectifier and I found that they used the wrong regulator rectifier from the pre 1997 bikes. They tried to adapt it to the harness by using aftermarket plugs to hook it up to the rectifier. They didn't crimp the wires into the copper connectors in the plug well and one of the wires was loose. I took a look at my red vs1400 and saw that six wires went into the male plug but only 5 wires went to the rectifier. There's a red and white wire that doesn't go to anything, does anyone know the purpose of this wire? I ended up hard wiring the harness directly to the rectifier with heat shrink sotter butt connectors, the bike is charging appropriately now.

My second question has to do with the carbs. I adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws to 2.1 turns out when I set the bike up initially on both carbs. The rear cylinder would start but not great and it took a long time for the front cylinder to fire after the bike was warmed up. I took the rear carb air/fuel mixture screw out half a turn and the front carb air/fuel mixture screw out 1 turn. The bike runs well now with the choke on but dies as soon as I close the choke. Should I keep opening up the air/fuel mixture screws to fix this problem?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Two questions

Post by Herb »

first, not sure how the system is wired so that it charges properly. The red wire off the regulator goes into the red/white that goes back throught the main fuse and the ighition switch to keep the system charged. Here is the wiring diagram for the bike.

second, if 2-3 turns on the mixture screw won't keep it running, without the choke, there is some kind of opstruction in the idle circuit. It is probably at the air intake. the carbs may need to be cleaned.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:38 pm
first, not sure how the system is wired so that it charges properly. The red wire off the regulator goes into the red/white that goes back throught the main fuse and the ighition switch to keep the system charged. Here is the wiring diagram for the bike.

second, if 2-3 turns on the mixture screw won't keep it running, without the choke, there is some kind of opstruction in the idle circuit. It is probably at the air intake. the carbs may need to be cleaned.
I'm going to have to look at the wires again to make sure I'm thinking of the right color, it may have been a different wire. I do know both bikes had a wire that came off the main harness and connected to the male plug but did not connect to anything on the regulator.

I already cleaned the carbs thoroughly with an ultrasonic cleaner. Took out the air/fuel mixture screws and cleaned the idle circuit passage. Replaced the jets as well. It starts up fine with the choke and runs fine with it on.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

You might run them out some more to make it run right but both of my intruders ran great on 2 1/4 to 2 and a half turns.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:09 am
You might run them out some more to make it run right but both of my intruders ran great on 2 1/4 to 2 and a half turns.
You mentioned that there's most likely some obstruction at the air intake. The jets in the bowl are the fuel intake right? Where would I find the air intake for the idle circuit? Is it one of the passages at the air intake side of the carb the rubber boot connects too? I'm sure I could figure it out of I took the carbs off again. I blew the hell out of all the passages I could find with compressed air after squirting carb cleaner down each passage. Before that I completely disassembled then and used simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner. Sent them through several times.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Do you have a copy of the service manual? It has a diagram of the carb circuits.

What I am hearing is that the choke (actually an enrichener circuit) circuit is taking the place of the idle circuit.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

At the top of this forum is a topic on how to get the manuals, wiring diagrams and other information, on intruders.

I had forgot that SgtCall set that site up.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Pilot air jets, often overlooked.

Grow old disgracefully young man.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

So I fixed the carb issue. The RPMS didn't sound to high even on choke. Adjusted the fuel/air mixture screws out another half turn then turned up the idle adjustment screw. Starts very easily now.

In regards to the wiring question here is an image of what I'm talking about.

There's six wires coming off the main harness to the male plug. The orange and black wire terminates in that plug and doesn't splice into any of the other wires. Before I mentioned the red and white wire, my mistake. The regulator rectifier has five wires. Nothing connects to the orange and black wire.

On the other vs1400 I'm working on I had to hardwire the main harness to the regulator rectifier since I had no male plug to use on the main harness. I just tapped off the end of the red and black wire since it seems to have no purpose. The bike charges fine without it and doesn't seem to have any electrical issues at this point, was hoping someone knew what it was for.