Can’t hit Neutral when running.

1PaulSilva
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Can’t hit Neutral when running.

Post by 1PaulSilva »

I’ve read a lot of threads on this and I am out of ideas.

Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Mileage: 19k

Issue: Bike will not shift into Neutral if the bike is running. The clutch lever has to be pulled in at a stop. Sometimes I can’t shift from second to first. If the bike isn’t running then I can shift through all gears perfectly.

What I have done:
Replaced Clutch
Rebuilt Master Cylinder
Rebuilt Slave Cylinder
New Clutch/Brake Fluid
Replaced Stator, Regulator and Battery
Rebuilt and Synched Carburetors

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Re: Can’t hit Neutral when running.

Post by Pio412 »

Have you changed your clutch springs? and I'm assuming you changed your oil, correct?
Designer/Engineer

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Yeah what oil are you running? It's a wet clutch system so the right type of oil is important.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Try cleaning and lubricating the shifter linkage.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

1PaulSilva wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:13 pm
Issue: Bike will not shift into Neutral if the bike is running. The clutch lever has to be pulled in at a stop. Sometimes I can’t shift from second to first. If the bike isn’t running then I can shift through all gears perfectly.

Let me ask first to clarify,...when you say ..."if the bike is running"...does that mean when the engine is running,...or does running mean when the bike is in motion? :space: This might make a difference.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

1PaulSilva
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1PaulSilva »

By running I mean with the engine On, not sure what you mean by in motion since it would have to be running to be in motion. If it is not running, engine Off then I can find Neutral no problem.

The oil, filter, gear oil and spark plugs were also changed. The previous owner ran only Suzuki fluids so I stuck with that but I run RedLine products in all my other bikes.

The clutch springs were also replaced when the clutch was replaced.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

1PaulSilva wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:58 pm
By running I mean with the engine On, not sure what you mean by in motion since it would have to be running to be in motion. If it is not running, engine Off then I can find Neutral no problem.

The oil, filter, gear oil and spark plugs were also changed. The previous owner ran only Suzuki fluids so I stuck with that but I run RedLine products in all my other bikes.

The clutch springs were also replaced when the clutch was replaced.
You were pretty clear with your description initially.

The problem is the clutch is slightly dragging for some reason. This could be oil, warped plates or the actuation of the clutch.

Did the problem start after the clutch was replaced? Genuine clutch or aftermarket? Sometimes aftermarket clutch packs can be thicker than OEM and this can cause issues. Did you replace both friction and steel plates?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

1PaulSilva wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:58 pm
By my question I was asking,.... did you mean you can't shift into neutral while sitting still with engine running.....as opposed to you Riding The Bike (which could be,.."running down the road" ) and trying to shift into neutral (obviously engine running at that time)

These two are different situations and, to be absolutely clear, we need to make sure as that can make a difference.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

A few questions for you:
as hillsy asks, OEM or aftermarket plates?
Both steels and friction plates?
did the odd, thickest friction plate go on first? (inboard)
Is the wave washer in the correct orientation?
Did you replace the worn brass pusher located in the clutch lever? That could limit travel.
I still feel air trapped in the system can cause this issue.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

My 87 started giving this kind of problem. Had problems shifting to neutral with the engine running at a stop. I could feel the bike pulling with the clutch lever all the way in.

Inspection showed the clutch lever where the brass busing goes in to push on the MC piston was worn and the pivot point was worn. Replaced the Lever and the problem went away.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by 1lowcountry »

Could be off base here, but isn't there a possibility that air in the system is keeping the clutch from fully disengaging?

Have you tried a thorough bleed?

Also, can you tell at what point the clutch starts to engage when releasing the lever?

1PaulSilva
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1PaulSilva »

OEM Clutch replaced everything, the con-caved ring and odd sized plate are correctly installed.

I reverse bled the system and the clutch lever definitely has tension when pulled.

The problem already existed when I bought it. Every stop I have to have the clutch pulled in and if I try to find Neutral while approaching a stop then I can’t get to Neutral or 1st.

I have not replaced the brass push rod attached to the lever.

The only other thing I can think of filing the clutch basket down if there’s any grooves worn in.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Shot in the dark here.

For anyone, Could this have anything to do with mixing up the long and short bolts?

For 1PaulSilva, did you soak the plates before installing them? If so how long and in what?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:07 pm
Shot in the dark here. :space: For anyone, Could this have anything to do with mixing up the long and short bolts?
Yes,. it very well could.
Seeing as how this problem existed before the clutch change, it's not likely it has anything to do with the New Plates nor how long they were soaked.
It is possible though the Bolts were installed wrong before the clutch change. As we have seen, even with a properly installed set of Plates/Washer, this issue can result in uneven clutch performance.

1PaulSilva
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1PaulSilva »

The clutch plates were soaked between 36-48 hours.

The springs were installed as in this video:

1PaulSilva
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1PaulSilva »

If the bolts are installed correctly I am seriously out of ideas other then taking a file to the basket if there’s any worn grooves.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

You may have a few small air bubbles in the clutch line. Intruders are a PIA to bleed the lines.

Have you looked at the clutch slave cylinder?

Or tried something simple like some PB Blaster on the shifter shaft? Just to make sure it's not gunked up.

1PaulSilva
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1PaulSilva »

I rebuilt the slave so I am going to pull it back off and make sure when I pull the lever it’s working properly.

I’ll go ahead and remove the entire shifter assembly, clean, lube, reinstall and adjust.

Then I’ll bleed the system again to see if there’s still air.

I’ll report back with results.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

1PaulSilva wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:41 pm
I rebuilt the slave so I am going to pull it back off and make sure when I pull the lever it’s working properly.

I’ll go ahead and remove the entire shifter assembly, clean, lube, reinstall and adjust.

Then I’ll bleed the system again to see if there’s still air.

I’ll report back with results.
You might want to check this out for the clutch bleeding.
https://www.intruderalert.ca/indexa.htm