Clickety-Clack-Clack: Suzuki Intruder 1400, 2003

hempdiddy
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Clickety-Clack-Clack: Suzuki Intruder 1400, 2003

Post by hempdiddy »

I have a ticking sound that has gotten louder and I can no longer ignore. It's coming from the engine, top side, valve area. The tempo increases when I rev the engine. Can anyone help with how to fix? A few questions:

Does this engine have adjustable lifters or valves? Is anything in the valve train adjustable?

Is this common for this year/model? How do I fix or diagnose?

THANKS!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Clickety-Clack-Clack: Suzuki Intruder 1400, 2003

Post by Designer »

This sounds alot like it is your Hydraulic Valve Lifters to me.
Let me ask First,...what weight Oil do you use?

Does this happen mostly when the engine is colder?

Are you keeping the Crankcase full?.....and engine Idle speed at 1000 RPM?

It might also be due in part to Dirty Oil. Do you change filters every Oil Change?

It might be related to the Cam Chain,...but these things first.

Asking for a Friend... :ShitGrin:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hempdiddy
Tricycles are Cool

Post by hempdiddy »

Yes I just read in my service manual that this engine has hydraulic valve lash adjusters which "eliminate any routine valve clearance adjustment".

I use 10w-40.
I happens all the time. Cold and warm.
Crankcase full? I think so. Engine idle RPM 1000? I don't know.
I keep oil and filters changed.

It sure seems like its a valve clearance noise. What should I do? Do I need to buy the Suzuki air bleeding tool (09913-10740), or will a fresh oil and filter change remedy this? I'm an idiot.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

You could try a heavier oil but if the noise is still there / getting worse then you have to remove the engine to get the cam covers off.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

A lot of guys get good results from Rotella 15w-40. I think it's diesel oil but I guess it works well. Hopefully some that knows more will chime in.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:30 pm
A lot of guys get good results from Rotella 15w-40. I think it's diesel oil but I guess it works well. Hopefully some that knows more will chime in.
Diesel oil is fine in bikes - it doesn't have the same friction modifiers that regular car oil has that mess with the wet clutches.

I have a 20l drum of 15-40 diesel dino oil for older bikes. I'll use semi or synthetic for newer stuff.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I tried using 15/40 and in cold weather the lifters would clatter until the bike warmed up. I went back to the 10/40 and never had the issue again.

I have had good luck on cars, when the lifters got dirty and plugged up, by running about 1/5th of the oil as Marvel Mystery oil. When the clatter eased off I would change the oil and filter.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hempdiddy wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:01 pm
Yes I just read in my service manual that this engine has hydraulic valve lash adjusters which "eliminate any routine valve clearance adjustment".
I use 10w-40.
I happens all the time. Cold and warm.
Crankcase full? I think so. Engine idle RPM 1000? I don't know.
I keep oil and filters changed.
It sure seems like its a valve clearance noise. What should I do? Do I need to buy the Suzuki air bleeding tool (09913-10740), or will a fresh oil and filter change remedy this? I'm an idiot.
Thanks for this info,...the more we know, the better we can be of help.

Naw,...you aren't an Idiot! :space: You are a Fellow Rider who needs help with something he hasn't experienced before. That's why we are here!

I'd go with what Herb has mentioned. :space: It sure seems like you have stuck Hydraulic Lifters, and his Cleaning Method might do the trick to get them un-stuck and filling with oil properly again.

I am going to check another product and get back to you.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hempdiddy
Tricycles are Cool

Post by hempdiddy »

I worked it out. Fresh oil (Rotella 15w-40) and filter change with 20% oil capacity replaced with Marvel Mystery Oil did the trick. I couldn't believe it. The hydraulic lifters loosened up and its running smooth. Yes sir.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hempdiddy wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:00 pm
I worked it out. Fresh oil (Rotella 15w-40) and filter change with 20% oil capacity replaced with Marvel Mystery Oil did the trick. I couldn't believe it. The hydraulic lifters loosened up and its running smooth. Yes sir.
Yep,...you had Stuck Hydraulic Lifters alrighty! :space: :wink:

I'm really glad it was only that. :space: The other things could have been MUCH worse! :space: And since your using cleaner-type oil as is MMO that "Did The Trick" ...... certainly using heavier oil weight would have been a big mistake.

Now,...got out there. ..AND RIIDE your Bad Boy! :space: :rock:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I use a couple of ounces of MMO in every tank of gas, keeps the fuel system clean. MMO is my go to for any fuel or oil problems.

I bought a used engine once and one cylinder had no compression, all the others were good to go. I pulled the spark plug and filled the cylinder with MMO, waited 2 days, pulled the plug and cranked the engine over to get the excess out, replaced the plug and fired it up. Ran like a champ. After it cooled down I checked the compression and it was withing 5 psi of the others. I ran that engine for over a year, gave the car to my brother and he ran it for over 3 years before he traded it off for a Mustang.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes the easy fix is the best fix.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Glad it worked.

Always try the easy fix first.