slave cylinder piston

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 1400

slave cylinder piston

Post by 1lowcountry »

Hey y'all... I'm trying to diagnose a no clutch pressure situation but when I remove my slave cylinder, the piston is all the way up against the back of the cylinder and doesn't seem to want to move... is there anyway to get the piston out or since it's stuck in there does that mean that it's bad and I just need to change the whole cylinder?

Thanks!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: slave cylinder piston

Post by hillsy v2 »

1lowcountry wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:43 pm
Hey y'all... I'm trying to diagnose a no clutch pressure situation but when I remove my slave cylinder, the piston is all the way up against the back of the cylinder and doesn't seem to want to move... is there anyway to get the piston out or since it's stuck in there does that mean that it's bad and I just need to change the whole cylinder?

Thanks!
Compressed air should move it. Be careful of the piston flying out across the garage - best wrap it in a shop rag before you pull the trigger. Alternatively you can use a grease gun to pump it out but that can be messier.

But first off - have you flushed and bled the system? Might just be full of air.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

1lowcountry wrote:
Hey y'all... I'm trying to diagnose a no clutch pressure situation but when I remove my slave cylinder, the piston is all the way up against the back of the cylinder and doesn't seem to want to move... is there anyway to get the piston out or since it's stuck in there does that mean that it's bad and I just need to change the whole cylinder? Thanks!
Given that the Clutch Hydraulic Line at the Slave Cylinder is Metal, and you know the Piston is all the way back inside the Slave Cylinder, I'd say it seems you have drained Fluid to find this out. :space: So right now there's no way to know if Air in your Hydraulic System was the cause of your problems.

Could you please tell us a little of the History of how you came to find this problem and what the symptoms were? :space: This information will help us in making Better Suggestions as to what/where your No Clutch Pressure issue stems from.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

It's probable that the steel line has cracked allowing the fluid to drain.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:32 pm
1lowcountry wrote:

Thanks!
Compressed air should move it. Be careful of the piston flying out across the garage - best wrap it in a shop rag before you pull the trigger. Alternatively you can use a grease gun to pump it out but that can be messier.

But first off - have you flushed and bled the system? Might just be full of air.
This ^^^

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

If the piston won't move you can't do anything to the system.

If the piston is stuck all the way in the only thing you can do is get it out and find out wy it is stuck. Bad return spring or build up in the cylinder that won't let it return.

compressed air or find a way to push it out. Some of the older cars with single stage master you could push the piston out with a small rod through the outlet hole.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1lowcountry »

Thanks for the suggestions. As to the case, the bike had no pressure in the clutch when I bought it so I'm not sure how or why it developed that condition. There was fluid in the master cylinder -- low but covering the holes in the bottom. The fluid was clouded so I suspected it may have gotten water or rust in it... anyway I flushed the fluid and did a quick bleed at the slave cylinder through the bleeder and the banjo port. Still didn't have any pressure so I pulled the slave just to do a visual. That's when I noticed that the piston was all the way at the back and not moving. I imagine if I fixed the no pressure issue, that would force the piston forward, but in the meantime I'm replacing the upper section of the hydraulic hose because it looked to be in bad shape and the master cylinder because, why not and it's cheap. I won't be able to test until next week, but I'm going to swap out a slave from an 800 intruder and try y'alls suggestions for getting the piston out. There's probably definitely build-up in the cylinder.

Much appreciated.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

1lowcountry wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:59 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. As to the case, the bike had no pressure in the clutch when I bought it so I'm not sure how or why it developed that condition. There was fluid in the master cylinder -- low but covering the holes in the bottom. The fluid was clouded so I suspected it may have gotten water or rust in it... anyway I flushed the fluid and did a quick bleed at the slave cylinder through the bleeder and the banjo port. Still didn't have any pressure so I pulled the slave just to do a visual. That's when I noticed that the piston was all the way at the back and not moving. I imagine if I fixed the no pressure issue, that would force the piston forward, but in the meantime I'm replacing the upper section of the hydraulic hose because it looked to be in bad shape and the master cylinder because, why not and it's cheap. I won't be able to test until next week, but I'm going to swap out a slave from an 800 intruder and try y'alls suggestions for getting the piston out. There's probably definitely build-up in the cylinder. Much appreciated.
Thank you for this Historical info, it helps alot! :space: :ShitGrinandThumb: :space: It points out that it would have been pretty much a waste of your time to have done another Bleeding of the System with the thought the problem was Air in the system.

As my Grandad told me....,..."be wary of the man who has the solution, before he understands the problem".

Since we are talking the Whole System,...When you say you didn't have any pressure in the System after you Flush/Bled it, was that conclusion drawn because the Slave Piston didn't move?

Because it seems it has been sitting for a while in Bad Fluid, would you perform a Pressure Test of the Master Cylinder alone to see if it is working as it should? :space: Could you fill it with fluid, and then,.. putting your finger over the Exit Hole where the Banjo Fitting normally bolts to,....move the Lever and see what level of pressure you feel? :space: Doing this we can more accurately determine why you begot a "no pressure" situation as you reported.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Grandad also knows that if the MC is working and there's ABSOLUTELY NO AIR in the line the slave will pop out regardless.

But sounds like you're about to do the best thing by redoing the whole system to avoid chasing your tail.

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1lowcountry »

Thanks again y'all.

I was able to get the piston out the cylinder by just tapping on the back of the cylinder with a hammer... the vibrations seemed to be enough to shake it loose. Cleaned it up with light sanding...piston and seal and spring still looked good but I guess I'll know for sure when Iget the hose replacement next week.

Local bike shop is making one for me because the OEM is $300 apparently.

And right now I just got a new master cylinder clutch and brake set in the mail so I'm going to throw those on and should be good to go after that.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

1lowcountry wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:20 pm
Thanks again y'all. :space: I was able to get the piston out the cylinder by just tapping on the back of the cylinder with a hammer... the vibrations seemed to be enough to shake it loose. Cleaned it up with light sanding...piston and seal and spring still looked good but I guess I'll know for sure when I get the hose replacement next week.
More good news! :space: That's great. :space: It's Good that The Piston wasn't stuck so bad that you needed to use Air Pressure to Fetch it, too. :space: When sanding, did you sand in a circular pattern?...you know, as in Around-the-outside surface, perpendicular to the In-and-Out Movements of the Seal?
1lowcountry wrote:
..........Local bike shop is making one for me because the OEM is $300 apparently.
Ooo-WEE! :space: At that price for OEM, I can see why you opted for a Fabricated one locally.
I went with Braided Stainless Steel Lines from BSR Aerotek. :space: They had a Solid Reputation, but mostly because You could make them up yourself,
They had several colors of Lines, and I liked lightly Smoked look and Chromed Fittings....all make up in my Shop to exact length,.... no Too-long Sagging nor Too-short Tightness/Binding. :space: And easy-to-fit through the Stock Suzuki Chromed Heat protecting "tube" for the Rear Brakes.
1lowcountry wrote:
.........And right now I just got a new master cylinder clutch and brake set in the mail so I'm going to throw those on and should be good to go after that.
Wise Move. :space: Since there is question as to whether the Clutch Master Cylinder was putting out sufficient pressure to adequately move the Slave Piston, why not rebuild it when everything is all apart? :space: And so,...why not replace the Slave Cylinder Seal also? :dunno:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If the piston popped out after you hit the slave with a hammer I'd say the seal is stuffed. They shouldn't fall out like that.

New seal is cheap - you're pretty much getting new everything else so do the lot IMO.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:15 pm
If the piston popped out after you hit the slave with a hammer I'd say the seal is stuffed. They shouldn't fall out like that.

New seal is cheap - you're pretty much getting new everything else so do the lot IMO.
+1, on the seal, they are under $10

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
If the piston popped out after you hit the slave with a hammer I'd say the seal is stuffed. They shouldn't fall out like that. New seal is cheap - you're pretty much getting new everything else so do the lot IMO.
+1 also. :space: As I said in my message just above, he's replacing the Clutch Master Cylinder Seals,...why not replace the Slave Piston Seal also .:space: :dunno:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:25 pm
navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
If the piston popped out after you hit the slave with a hammer I'd say the seal is stuffed. They shouldn't fall out like that. New seal is cheap - you're pretty much getting new everything else so do the lot IMO.
+1 also. :space: As I said in my message just above, he's replacing the Clutch Master Cylinder Seals,...why not replace the Slave Piston Seal also .:space: :dunno:
You didn't say that initially - you added it in after you posted.

1lowcountry
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1lowcountry »

Got everything put on and bled the system... thought I could gravity bleed but after an hour of finnegaling just went and got a vaccum bleeder from the Advanced Autos. The seal looked good and snug but I might just go ahead and replace like y'all suggested.

I'm not sure which way I sanded... it was a pretty light sanding just to get off the gunk and corrosion... hopefully I didn't create more problems...

Thanks again y'all

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

1lowcountry wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:51 am
Got everything put on and bled the system... thought I could gravity bleed but after an hour of finnegaling just went and got a vaccum bleeder from the Advanced Autos. The seal looked good and snug but I might just go ahead and replace like y'all suggested.
Very Good! :space: We were all rooting for you.
1lowcountry wrote:
I'm not sure which way I sanded... it was a pretty light sanding just to get off the gunk and corrosion... hopefully I didn't create more problems...
If it's not leaking, most probably not. :space: Glad you chose to do a Light sanding. :space: Sometimes we hear of more aggressive/course grit sanding and it ends up being problematical.

1lowcountry wrote:
Thanks again y'all
You are Welcome :space: Happy to be of Help to you,...and thank for the Update too.