OEM Hardware, Oil Cooler

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

OEM Hardware, Oil Cooler

Post by Acton67 »

Guess I could make 2 separate topics but since they're basic questions I'll just combine them.

The VS800 is water cooled with a radiator. The 1400 is oil cooled. Is there a seperate reservoir that I need to change the oil for the oil cooler or does the oil come from the primary case. If it does it seems like a way simpler design then the 800 has. Why even make a bike water cooled vs oil cooled in the first place?

My second question is in regards to OEM hardware. What type of metal is it and is it okay to use stuff from the hardware store? I'm assuming if the wrong type of hardware is used it could cause corrosion. I think that's why I had issues removing the bolts from the handlebar risers on both bikes I'm working on. The bolts coming off the bikes had a black finish, same as the ones I picked up from the hardware store. He head M8x1.25 bolts. I bought OEM hardware for my VS800, I think the riser bolts looked like they where stainless steal or had a chrome finish.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: OEM Hardware, Oil Cooler

Post by sgtcall »

Acton67 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:30 pm
Guess I could make 2 separate topics but since they're basic questions I'll just combine them.

The VS800 is water cooled with a radiator. The 1400 is oil cooled. Is there a seperate reservoir that I need to change the oil for the oil cooler or does the oil come from the primary case. If it does it seems like a way simpler design then the 800 has. Why even make a bike water cooled vs oil cooled in the first place?

My second question is in regards to OEM hardware. What type of metal is it and is it okay to use stuff from the hardware store? I'm assuming if the wrong type of hardware is used it could cause corrosion. I think that's why I had issues removing the bolts from the handlebar risers on both bikes I'm working on. The bolts coming off the bikes had a black finish, same as the ones I picked up from the hardware store. He head M8x1.25 bolts. I bought OEM hardware for my VS800, I think the riser bolts looked like they where stainless steal or had a chrome finish.
The risers on my 1400 had black bolts that were stuck when I first got it. I started putting copper grease on them when I put them back in and never had that issue again. I think the moisture from rain gets down in there a corrodes them. FYI the only reason I went with copper grease was that I had some right there at the time. I am sure any good grease would do.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:38 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:30 pm

The risers on my 1400 had black bolts that were stuck when I first got it. I started putting copper grease on them when I put them back in and never had that issue again. I think the moisture from rain gets down in there a corrodes them. FYI the only reason I went with copper grease was that I had some right there at the time. I am sure any good grease would do.
Yours were probably bolts from the hardware store too. These are the OEM bolts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115292491187

A few years ago I made a deck for a 14' aluminum vhull and turned it into a mini bass boat. The "tiny boat" community made a huge deal about never using stainless steal hardware on aluminum and if you did to use a product like tef-gel to prevent galvanic corrosion. I'm assuming the risers are aluminum.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I use anti seize...

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

With regards to water cooling versus air cooling - water cooling is simply much more efficient and effective (your 1400 is essentially air cooled - the oil cooler is there to keep the crankcase oil cool). You can extract more performance out of a water cooled engine - not so much because of the cooling - but because the engine temperature can be better managed, you can run closer tolerances on things like piston / ring clearances, valve clearances, etc.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:14 pm
With regards to water cooling versus air cooling - water cooling is simply much more efficient and effective (your 1400 is essentially air cooled - the oil cooler is there to keep the crankcase oil cool). You can extract more performance out of a water cooled engine - not so much because of the cooling - but because the engine temperature can be better managed, you can run closer tolerances on things like piston / ring clearances, valve clearances, etc.
So why did they only go with the water cooled system on the 800?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:11 am
Because the Larger Water Radiators are Feminine? :space: :uhh:

:OhNo;

:ShitGrin: :space: :jester:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Those stock risers are chrome plated steel.
Using the black oxide coated bolts is fine, just use some anti-seize on them.
Zinc or Cadmium plated bolts are what the factory used, but any steel bolt is fine to use. Just get the correct grade. Most black oxide allen cap screws are grade 8. hex can be had in grades 2,5, or 8.
Stainless screws are softer and can cause galvanic reactions with aluminum parts.

The oil cooler drains back to the crankcase, so just change the engine oil.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Designer wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:25 am
Acton67 wrote:

You mean like the Vrod's Gumby's Casket?? :lmao:

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:25 am
Acton67 wrote:

Excuse me, my VS800 identifies as male! :hellfire: I'm very offended.
navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:56 am
Those stock risers are chrome plated steel.
Using the black oxide coated bolts is fine, just use some anti-seize on them.
Zinc or Cadmium plated bolts are what the factory used, but any steel bolt is fine to use. Just get the correct grade. Most black oxide allen cap screws are grade 8. hex can be had in grades 2,5, or 8.
Stainless screws are softer and can cause galvanic reactions with aluminum parts.

The oil cooler drains back to the crankcase, so just change the engine oil.
Alright, good to know. That's something I've been curious about. What if the hardware in question needs thread lock because it's prone to coming loose? I know the bolts on the front brake caliper had that issue. I had a bunch of other loose hardware on the 800 last year after working on it. I used all OEM stuff and went back through and used thread lock. It added up though.

So the only fluids I need to change on the 1400 are the crankcase oil and the hypoid gear oil on the drive shaft correct?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

AND the brake and clutch fluid.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:28 am
AND the brake and clutch fluid.
Haha can't believe I forgot to mention those. Going to be running apes again on my 1400, going to the same place in Latham next week that you mentioned last year to get new cables made. I guess they're in a new location now. Heading to Bennington VT that day to register the bike as well.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Wow, hadn't realized they were moving. I would be bummed to show up at the old place needing something and find the vacant building.
If you like cannoli's, Bella Napoli Italian bakery on the corner just south of the new place has the BEST.
Depending on your schedule (and mine), I could meet you for a drink.
Send me a PM on with your plans.