Tires

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Tires

Post by Acton67 »

Looking to get 2 sets of new tires on both bikes I'm working on but would like to save cash. Both bikes have 110/90-19 62H tires on the front and 170/80B-15 on the rears. What other tire sizes can I use and what is the cheapest brand? Shinkos are going for $80 for the front and $160 for the rear. I'm considering investing in a cheap harbor freight balancing stand and using the zip tie method to change tires. All the shops around here won't let you buy tires from 3rd party or they won't mount them.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Tires

Post by navigator »

For mounting, get a set of 3 tire spoons. Easier than the ziptie fiasco.
For balancing you can run an piece of rod over two 5 gallon pails, spin slowly and tape weights to the wheel til you get the assy to stop at different places. if it stops at the same place add weight to the 12 o'clock position.
Or use Dynabeads.
When mounting put the paint dot on the tire at the valve stem.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I have heard that this works well but I am sure the spoons do too.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:19 pm
I bought one of those and the bolt that holds the wheel on is thicker than most front wheel axles.

I still use zip ties even with this thing. Getting a new tyre on with zip ties is pretty easy - getting old hard tyres off is more of a challenge.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:44 pm
sgtcall wrote:
I bought one of those and the bolt that holds the wheel on is thicker than most front wheel axles.

I still use zip ties even with this thing. Getting a new tyre on with zip ties is pretty easy - getting old hard tyres off is more of a challenge.
You have Harbor Freight down under?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

My local power sports store will change any tire for $50 if you bring them the wheel and the tire. If the wheel is still on the bike it's $100. I even had amazon deliver the tires to the shop and the store called me to let me know they arrived.

Mount Holly Motor Sports on Route 206 if you are willing to make the trip.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:02 pm
My local power sports store will change any tire for $50 if you bring them the wheel and the tire. If the wheel is still on the bike it's $100. I even had amazon deliver the tires to the shop and the store called me to let me know they arrived.

Mount Holly Motor Sports on Route 206 if you are willing to make the trip.
I finally pulled the trigger and bought 2 set of Dunlop tires ($81 for the front, $123 for the rear), new tubes and dyna beads. Bought a set of tire spoons like navigator suggested and picked up a bead buddy. Between me and my buddy whose bike I'm working on we should be able to do this.

Looked into the dyna beads and with how simple they are to use I decided to do it myself. No need for a balancing stand. A lot if good videos on YouTube too.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:57 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:44 pm
sgtcall wrote:

You have Harbor Freight down under?
No we don't. Mine is not Harbor Freight but it's more than likely from the same Chinese factory.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Acton67 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:17 pm

Looked into the dyna beads and with how simple they are to use I decided to do it myself. No need for a balancing stand. A lot if good videos on YouTube too.
I ran beads on my LC rear with the car tyre. Really easy to use and work great.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

One thing about Dyna beads is that they can clog the valve stem while filling.
I pulled the bottle and ran a small wire down the hose, moving the wire creates a path to unclog it.
Some folks have used a vibrating engraver on the valve stem to help things along.

Dunlop 404's are cheap but wear sooner and don't last as long as others like the MT66.
Good performance though.