Where to mount an inline fuel filter?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Where to mount an inline fuel filter?

Post by Acton67 »

On the 800 I put one before the fuel pump right over the key switch. On the 1400 that's where the petcock valve is. Thinking the only way to mount an inline fuel filter on this bike is to put two underneath the tank on the fuel and reserve lines right under the tank right after the fuel shut off valve if I have the space. Anyone know of another spot for it? The fuel lines were so much simpler on the 800. 😦

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Where to mount an inline fuel filter?

Post by hillsy v2 »

Not too sure about where they will physically fit but they should be installed just before the fuel pump.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

There mightt be enough room to get one in just before the fuel pump down in the bottom. Might require extending the fuel line.

It would have to be something about like this.

https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Clear- ... 3/10002/-1
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:08 pm
There mightt be enough room to get one in just before the fuel pump down in the bottom. Might require extending the fuel line.

It would have to be something about like this.

https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Clear- ... 3/10002/-1
Yeah that's the one I'm using. Doesn't seem like there's much room between the end if the petcock and the fuel pump. Wonder if anyone else has fit one there or somewhere else.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:28 am
Herb wrote:
There mightt be enough room to get one in just before the fuel pump down in the bottom. Might require extending the fuel line. It would have to be something about like this.https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Clear- ... 3/10002/-1
Yeah that's the one I'm using. Doesn't seem like there's much room between the end if the petcock and the fuel pump. Wonder if anyone else has fit one there or somewhere else.
IIRC, not without extending the fuel lines as Herb mentions. :space: Free Space is at a premium under the Seat and between the Frame of 1400's.

Have you considered putting it in the Main Fuel line ( not Reserve) right off the Tank? :space: Since we almost never use that line, filtering it for the VERY little time it's ever used seems not to be an issue. :space: :dunno:

BTW, did you get my PM about the 2 sets of Springs you wanted?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:56 am
Acton67 wrote:
Herb wrote:
There mightt be enough room to get one in just before the fuel pump down in the bottom. Might require extending the fuel line. It would have to be something about like this.https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Clear- ... 3/10002/-1
IIRC, not without extending the fuel lines as Herb mentions. :space: Free Space is at a premium under the Seat and between the Frame of 1400's.

Have you considered putting it in the Main Fuel line ( not Reserve) right off the Tank? :space: Since we almost never use that line, filtering it for the VERY little time it's ever used seems not to be an issue. :space: :dunno:

Yeah, that might be an idea but it would bug the hell out of me if I ever have to use the reserve line. I sealed my 800 tanks with the por 15 fuel tank repair kit, after using an inline fuel filter I stopped having issues with my carbs. Thinking those repair kits aren't good to use on a carburated bike without an inline fuel filter. My 1400s tank has crud in it but I'm not sure I'd need to re-seal it. I've found it difficult to clean out gas tanks completely, it's been easier to just install an inline fuel filter until now.

Looks like the forums giving me an issue responding. Your profile doesn't show me the send PM button and when I try to reply to your message it says I need to "define a user" and won't let me send. I tried to PM you before to inquire about the springs, but it wouldn't let me then either so I reached out via the post you made. It's weird you can send me a PM but I can't send you one. I've had no issues PMing others on this forum.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:27 pm
Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:56 am
Acton67 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Yeah, that might be an idea but it would bug the hell out of me if I ever have to use the reserve line. I sealed my 800 tanks with the por 15 fuel tank repair kit, after using an inline fuel filter I stopped having issues with my carbs. Thinking those repair kits aren't good to use on a carburated bike without an inline fuel filter. My 1400s tank has crud in it but I'm not sure I'd need to re-seal it. I've found it difficult to clean out gas tanks completely, it's been easier to just install an inline fuel filter until now.

Looks like the forums giving me an issue responding. Your profile doesn't show me the send PM button and when I try to reply to your message it says I need to "define a user" and won't let me send. I tried to PM you before to inquire about the springs, but it wouldn't let me then either so I reached out via the post you made. It's weird you can send me a PM but I can't send you one. I've had no issues PMing others on this forum.
Maybe run a filter on each line? Depends on room I guess....

Designer has disable his PM function so that's why you can't PM him (nothing to do with your settings). I assume he gave you an email address to contact him?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:27 pm
My PM connection is not disabled,....it does work, but it seems unreliably.
Let's try going back to an E-mail again. :space: Please send me one so we can get you what you need. :space: :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:21 am
My PM connection is not disabled,....it does work, but it seems unreliably.

Might want to check on that - you might be able to send PM's but there's no option to send them to you...

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Thank you hillsy, but I have always had my settings to allow for board members to contact me via PM.

Dunno why it doesn't show on the screen you posted.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:29 pm
Thank you hillsy, but I have always had my settings to allow for board members to contact me via PM.

You might want to get sgt to check that out then. Wouldn't be the first time something went skew in the back end of this board.

But first make sure you have your settings right...

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:39 pm
Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:29 pm
You might want to get sgt to check that out then. Wouldn't be the first time something went skew in the back end of this board.
But first make sure you have your settings right...
I have and the PM setting is as it is in the screen shot you just posted. :space: Always has been

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:59 pm

I have and the PM setting is as it is in the screen shot you just posted. :space: Always has been
Then you should probably ask sgt to have a look because it's not working.

Rockdoc
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 VS1400GLP

Post by Rockdoc »

When I purchased my 1400 Intruder it hadn't been run in about six years. I removed the tank and drained the gas and also used a plastic hose connected to a turkey baster to get the last smidgen of gas from the rear tank bottom via the tank mounted valve assembly which I'd temporarily removed. I next replaced all the hoses and installed a small clear plastic gas filter between the bottom of the gas valve and the fuel pump. I purposely mounted the filter so that it was clearly visible so I could keep an eye on any crud buildup in it. So far there's been almost nothing and the engine runs fine. If and when a large amount of crud begins to collect I'll simply replace the filter. Many many decades ago I had a Chevy panel tuck that had sat out in a field for years with an empty can stuck over the fill pipe. The "gas" I drained was so bad it actually gave my skin a burning sensation when I spilled some on my arm. After I drained the tank and cleaned out the lines I installed an inline sediment trap. There was so much crud left in the tank that for the first few months I had to empty the sediment bowl every week, then every month. Finally, the sediment quit coming. Six months after I bought the truck I drove from Carbondale IL to Fort Lauderdale FL with four friends of mine over spring break. I didn't have any problems with the truck, sediment or otherwise.

Steve

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Rockdoc wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:40 pm
The "gas" I drained was so bad it actually gave my skin a burning sensation when I spilled some on my arm.
Old fuel can be nasty. I just brought a 2005 F650GS BMW back to life after it had been sitting for about 10 years or so. The fuel in the tank was putrid - with a generous sediment of greasy gunge - however it had a plastic tank under the seat so it just needed draining and cleaning (no rust to deal with :clap: ).

As it happens I still don't have my sense of smell back fully after Covid so it wasn't too bad to deal with from that aspect - but I could only work on it for short periods - because even though I couldn't really smell the off fuel - I started getting headaches from it.