Key Code?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Key Code?

Post by Acton67 »

The new 1400 I bought didn't come with keys. I had this same issue with my 800 and I ended up drilling out the gas cap twice and replacing the ignition key switch twice...once when I bought the bike and once when I lost my keys. The second time I had issues removing the gas cap, drilled out the tumblers but still had a lot of difficulty removing the cap. I ended up slightly denting in the tank around the cap. I don't want this to happen to the tank on the 1400.

From what I understand I can get new keys made for the bike if I locate the key code. Is this the key code on the back of the switch? I believe it says AD 32?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Key Code?

Post by navigator »

That number is not the key code.
The key code was on a tag handed to the original owner.
At this point your best bet is to bring the ignition switch to a locksmith.
They can pick it then remove the tumblers and make a new key.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

And hopefully the ignition switch is keyed the same as the gas cap.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:04 pm
Or you could try it Hillsy's way and re-key your locks. You would just need to find a cut key that fits into the lock.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13520&p=203894&hil ... ck#p203894
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:08 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Or you could try it Hillsy's way and re-key your locks. You would just need to find a cut key that fits into the lock.

It's easy to re-wafer the ignition switch because you can pull that apart - but when the gas cap is on the tank it's a bit harder to open. There should be a locking wafer at the bottom of the tumbler - you should be able to pick this and the tumbler will pull out. It can be tricky as the caps seal with a spring and everything can be tight / pre-loaded. Plus you really need lock picking tools.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:19 pm
sgtcall wrote:
hillsy v2 wrote:

It's easy to re-wafer the ignition switch because you can pull that apart - but when the gas cap is on the tank it's a bit harder to open. There should be a locking wafer at the bottom of the tumbler - you should be able to pick this and the tumbler will pull out. It can be tricky as the caps seal with a spring and everything can be tight. Plus you really need lock picking tools.
Could you re-key a lock so that a key blank fits it? I know bad security and all but getting a blank is easy.

RockDoc ordered a new key here.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14021&p=219997&hil ... ey#p219997
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:35 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:19 pm
sgtcall wrote:
hillsy v2 wrote:

It's easy to re-wafer the ignition switch because you can pull that apart - but when the gas cap is on the tank it's a bit harder to open. There should be a locking wafer at the bottom of the tumbler - you should be able to pick this and the tumbler will pull out. It can be tricky as the caps seal with a spring and everything can be tight. Plus you really need lock picking tools.
Could you re-key a lock so that a key blank fits it? I know bad security and all but getting a blank is easy.

RockDoc ordered a new key here.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14021&p=219997&hil ... ey#p219997
You could take all the wafers out. That is what the gas cap lock is on my z1300 - you can use any key to open it as it has no wafers.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

I ordered a wafer lock rake lockpick set with tension tool off ebay. Watched a few how to tutorials on YouTube on how to pick these locks. Looks real easy with a wafer rake.

I'm not in a rush to use the tank and something tells me I might be doing this again in the future since most used bikes that can be had for a decent price seem to have missing keys. . . :dunno: I've been checking VINs before I buy, I'll just do that again in the future.:ShitGrin: If this doesn't work I'll resort to drilling it out I guess.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

navigator wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:57 pm
That number is not the key code.
The key code was on a tag handed to the original owner.
At this point your best bet is to bring the ignition switch to a locksmith.
They can pick it then remove the tumblers and make a new key.
I called all my local lockpicks when I had this issue with the VS800, none of them would touch it.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Not sure about the later Suzi's but I know the earlier GS models had either a 3 or 5 digit numerical code stamped on the ignition switch which was the key code.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When I lost my keys I used a small dril bit to drill out the cap. I had a switch off a GS250 that I wired in. The cap opens with the igniton switch key or a screwdriver but looking at it you can't tell it.

Since the key fell out when I was riding I also rewired the bike and put the switch upright on the handle bars so I would never lose a key again. That was over 10 years ago and I am still using it that way.

BTW, it is a real bitch when you get to work and can't turn the damn thing off.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

A happy ending. I've learned so many great skills here on the internet. :ShitGrin:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Once that is apart you can make a key, that hopefully will fit your gas cap and helmet lock.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

navigator wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:54 pm
Once that is apart you can make a key, that hopefully will fit your gas cap and helmet lock.
How do I make a key? Take the lock apart and then what? How do I make a blank match the lock?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:51 pm
navigator wrote:
How do I make a key? Take the lock apart and then what? How do I make a blank match the lock?
Take the lock to a locksmith.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:34 pm
Acton67 wrote:
navigator wrote:
The locksmiths wouldn't help me at all before, but with the lock off the bike if I bring it to them maybe they will help me then?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:10 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Acton67 wrote:
navigator wrote:
The locksmiths wouldn't help me at all before, but with the lock off the bike if I bring it to them maybe they will help me then?
They should now with the cap off the bike.

But still - there should be a code on the ignition switch which will tell them the keying code.

The ignition switch has the most wafers out of all the locks on the bike (some have a reduced amount like helmet / seat locks) so if you are taking anything to get a key matched you should take the ignition switch.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:09 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:10 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Acton67 wrote:
navigator wrote:
They should now with the cap off the bike.

But still - there should be a code on the ignition switch which will tell them the keying code.

The ignition switch has the most wafers out of all the locks on the bike (some have a reduced amount like helmet / seat locks) so if you are taking anything to get a key matched you should take the ignition switch.
Alright, I'll bring both to a locksmith.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

What hillsy says.
Any locksmith worth his salt should be able to do it.
Do not take the wafers out before you take it to them. the way they are stacked is important.

Rockdoc
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 VS1400GLP

Post by Rockdoc »

Back in the late 1960's when I was going to college, to earn beer money I'd purchase or sometimes people would just give me a car (just get it out of my driveway!) that needed work, usually something simple like a new clutch or a brake job. We're talking a $10-$15 POS car. I'd fix the car drive it for a month or two and then sell it for usually about $300 and find another car to fix and sell. Often the car wouldn't have an ignition key any more. No problem, I'd take the lock apart and remove all the tumblers accept for the first one. Upon visual inspection the lock would look okay, but you could usually need nothing more than wiggle a screw driver in the lock to start the car. Don't forget here, I'm not talking about cars that anyone would waste their time stealing.

Steve