K&N drop-in's and Drags with Baffles.. Stock carb needles and jets. Slightly rich at throttle?.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

K&N drop-in's and Drags with Baffles.. Stock carb needles and jets. Slightly rich at throttle?.

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

I removed stock foam filters and put in k&n drop-in's.. Not pods. Then I put on cobra drag pipes with louvered baffles. Wasn't sure what orientation the baffles needed to be in and tried both ways.. Louvers catching exhaust into the inside walls of pipe which I felt gave alot of pressure and then the other way with the louvers directing exhaust to center of pipe before exiting. I chose the less restricted option (driving exhaust to center of pipe).

Anyways.. I was wondering something because I initially removed the plastic spacers from tops of needles and placed them below to raise needles approximately 3 slots. I used a Gunson Colortune to view the action in cylinder and tweaked a/f mix screws to a blue just before orange. At throttle, it was rich so I went back to stock height on needles. The flame looked better at stock but still a little rich on throttle. Is this why people poke holes in their air boxes to breath better and lean out or...?

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: K&N drop-in's and Drags with Baffles.. Stock carb needles and jets. Slightly rich at throttle?.

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Interesting.