Starting ,spark/fuel pump problem

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Starting ,spark/fuel pump problem

Post by Herb »

FinTruder wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:06 am
Mystery solved. I took supertrapp discs off and drove 100km,s in highway 140kmph no problems anymore. Badly clogged exhaust and discs full of carbon waste. +10y of uncleaned pipes makes intruder unhappy xD
That will do it.

Good job of troubleshooting!!!
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

PKOS
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: intruder 1400

Post by PKOS »

Here we go again ,well i replaced the ignitor with a new one the Red non genuine ones and now i have spark ,but no power to the fuel pump ,ive read that power for the fuel pump comes from the ignitor box ,put a new fuel relay on it but still no go ,if i have a live wire direct from the battery ,and it operates ,but then will it ''know'' when to shut off or just keep pumping nonstop ?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

PKOS wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:19 pm
Here we go again ,well i replaced the ignitor with a new one the Red non genuine ones and now i have spark ,but no power to the fuel pump ,ive read that power for the fuel pump comes from the ignitor box ,put a new fuel relay on it but still no go ,if i have a live wire direct from the battery ,and it operates ,but then will it ''know'' when to shut off or just keep pumping nonstop ?
The pump stops when it senses / gets up to pressure in the lines. You can bypass the relay and wire it straight from the kill switch. It's best to have it on switchable power.

PKOS
Tricycles are Cool

Post by PKOS »

I tried to start it today putting a wire direct from fuel pump to battery [as it wont work when plugged into its plug ] ive had the carbs apart and cleaned them ,it was backfiring and trying to run on one cylinder ,eventually onto both but kept stalling ,then the pump inexplicably stopped working [but would work when removed and connected to battery ?] im amazed on you tube about how so many people have fuel problems with the 1400 ,im ready to insure and burn this thing ,I have two HDs and i just hit the button and they go ..............

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

PKOS wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:55 am
I have two HDs and i just hit the button and they go ..............
Haha - the irony - I bet your HDs aren't 35 years old.

Have you done a flow test on the pump? All good to connect it to a battery and think it's good but it needs to flow the right volume. Might be faulty in other words.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The fuel pump has an internal pressure switch that shuts it off when it reaches pressure. I have the connector to the relay jumpered and the pump turns on with the key and turns off at pressure.

I don't understand all the problems with the fuel pumps/system. My 87 had the original fuel pump when I sold it in 2002 with 154,000 miles on it. My 99 has the original pump and it has over 240,000 miles on it. The relay did go bad at about 200K miles and I just jumpered the relay.

The only carb work I have done on either bike was for changes to the carbs and to repair the slide diaphrams, not because there was a major problem with them.

Jumper the relay plug and then verify that you have power to the pump and a good ground on it. wiggle the wires and make sure they have good connections. The problem may be elsewhere in the wiring.

Have you verified that there are no obstructions in the fuel cocks or hoses? The first time I had the tank off of the 87 I installed the hoses backwards and it kinked the hoses. The bike ran great but it would start cutting out and then stall. Let it sit for a few minutes and it would restart.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Herb wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:42 am

I don't understand all the problems with the fuel pumps/system. My 87 had the original fuel pump when I sold it in 2002 with 154,000 miles on it. My 99 has the original pump and it has over 240,000 miles on it. The relay did go bad at about 200K miles and I just jumpered the relay.

It's when the bike sits or is stored for extended periods that the fuel system starts to have issues. Keep the bike running regularly and most of these problems rarely happen.

PKOS
Tricycles are Cool

Post by PKOS »

I tried a brand new fuel pump on it, but same thing backfiring ,wont start evidently fuel or minimal fuel getting into carbs ,so will pull them to bits again ,im going to the Pub when i get rid of this POS ,will never own another Suzuki ,had 4 of them and the only one that gave me no trouble was a TS 400 two stroke ,a brand new DR600 I had for 7000 kms and the day after i sold it broke the con rod and punched holes all through the engine [ a friend of mine who also bought a new one ,had his engine much itself also] ,A DRZ250 another PITA that never wants to start despite pulling the carb apart ,new plug ,battery air filter and still a bitch .My HDs are a 98 and a 97 with the dreaded magnetti marelli ,that everyone hates ,but you hit the button and it ummm does something amazing ! it STARTS !

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

PKOS wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:54 am
I tried a brand new fuel pump on it, but same thing backfiring ,wont start evidently fuel or minimal fuel getting into carbs ,so will pull them to bits again ,im going to the Pub when i get rid of this POS ,will never own another Suzuki ,had 4 of them and the only one that gave me no trouble was a TS 400 two stroke ,a brand new DR600 I had for 7000 kms and the day after i sold it broke the con rod and punched holes all through the engine [ a friend of mine who also bought a new one ,had his engine much itself also] ,A DRZ250 another PITA that never wants to start despite pulling the carb apart ,new plug ,battery air filter and still a bitch .My HDs are a 98 and a 97 with the dreaded magnetti marelli ,that everyone hates ,but you hit the button and it ummm does something amazing ! it STARTS !
I'm guessing your Harleys probably never sat for years like your Intruder probably has.

You would be best off going through EVERYTHING in the fuel system - from flushing the tank, cleaning out the taps, lines and the carbs. The pilot circuits in the carbs are generally the main problem area because they are small and hidden inside the carb bodies. You also need to remove the idle mixture screws as they feed from the pilot circuits.

Ask this guy: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14241&start=40
Pio412 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:40 pm
A quick update and a thank you to all of you for your help! :bow:

So I decided to rip off the carburetors one more time and give them a VERY, VERY thorough cleaning. Shot carb cleaner through all jets, Reset float heights, blew through all ports making sure the air exited all corresponding ports... etc. That must have done the trick because it's running smoother than it ever has been OFF choke! Finally. Might need to tweak the sync just a teeny tiny bit but I'm very happy with the smoothness it has now! :cheers: :rock:

It's crazy that this actually worked because I THOUGHT I cleaned them well enough last time...

I've been working on engines and carbs for years and these cv Mikunis are by far the biggest pain in the ass to clean :bs:

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Post by Pio412 »

When in doubt... clean the PISS out of them carbs. :soapbox:
Designer/Engineer

PKOS
Tricycles are Cool

Post by PKOS »

The tank has been cleaned out and rust proofed ,the fuel lines are new ,the fuel pump is new ,the carbs have been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned ,the fuel pump relay is new ,the fuel is good ,the air filters are good[no crumbly particles] ,the HD was sitting for five years by former owner who was keeping it for his retirement, but died of cancer ,the fuel tank was rusted ,so was replaced with another ,the EFI fuel lines were replaced as they were leaking ,a rat moved into the fairing, built a home, had kids ,then died there ,ate all the wiring out for entertainment ,was a mess ,and hard to get rid of the smell ,washing it every day ,but it runs and and then replaced the cam bearing ,pushrods ,lifters[for good measure] plastic crap breather gear ,re shimmed the cam but it goes ..............