Anyone else ever have a master cylinder window leak and know how to fix it?.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Anyone else ever have a master cylinder window leak and know how to fix it?.

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Anyone else ever have a master cylinder window leak and know how to fix it?.

Post by hillsy »

They are a press in fit - you can buy replacements on eBay but you need to know the size. They are held in with an o ring:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_fro ... _PrefLoc=1

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Anyone else ever have a master cylinder window leak and know how to fix it?.

Post by Designer »

Pressing them out can be problematical.

I used a Socket that was of a proper Diameter, and short enough to allow for a space between the Socket itself and in Interior Wall of the Master Cylinder. Then used a small "Pry" Bar to push it out, being careful that the Pry Bar is placed at the bottom of the Reservoir....so that any leveraging forces stem from the stronger point of the Master Cylinder ( not the weaker Top Edge)

Any Updates on your Decomp Issue?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Thanks Fam. Haven't been in the mood to deal with it much.. But i will soon and won't fail to report on it.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

I’m glad I saw this post earlier. I was trying to clean up my master cylinder and broke my sight glass. I’m about to order replacements from Amazon. If you hadn’t got to it yet, using the method described above worked well to remove it. The metal outer ring didn’t come out so I had to work that out with a small prying tool. Mine is the stock master cylinder from a 2000 vs1400. If yours is the same, the hole measures 18MM with a caliper so I’m ordering 18MM replacements. Your post saved me from ordering an entire master cylinder, thank you.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:41 pm
I’m glad I saw this post earlier. I was trying to clean up my master cylinder and broke my sight glass. I’m about to order replacements from Amazon. If you hadn’t got to it yet, using the method described above worked well to remove it. The metal outer ring didn’t come out so I had to work that out with a small prying tool. Mine is the stock master cylinder from a 2000 vs1400. If yours is the same, the hole measures 18MM with a caliper so I’m ordering 18MM replacements. Your post saved me from ordering an entire master cylinder, thank you.
Good to know the size is 18mm for the Intruders - there's heaps of that size on eBay so I'd say it's a pretty standard size.

Let us know how you go with the new one :ShitGrinandThumb:

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:47 pm
00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Good to know the size is 18mm for the Intruders - there's heaps of that size on eBay so I'd say it's a pretty standard size.

Let us know how you go with the new one :ShitGrinandThumb:
They’ll be here Wednesday so I should be able to let you know how it went by Thursday.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
You are most Welcome. :bow:

We all use Our Experience to help each other out. Posting Solutions That Work is the Spirit of Our Tech Board. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Pressing them in brings up other issues, though.

I used a Bench Vise with Pads on the Jaws ( so as not to mar the aluminum).
But, one does not know just how much pressure will be needed to get the New Window in and sealed. So, may I suggest finding a Socket, of proper diameter, that fits snugly between the Interior Walls of the Master Cylinder right at where the Window goes in.
I didn't have one which I thought was tight enough, so I "shimmed" the closest one I had with some Sheet Metal. I had some old Ductwork lying around, so I cut pieces and layered them up and put them on the Sight Glass Side for a nice, snug fit.

That kind of material is available at any Big Box Home Improvement Store, and it is nice Material to have it around for other Projects it can help out in ( such as a Heat Shield when Soldering, Repairing holes in things, etc.)

Oh also,...I've consistently beaten prices on amazon by going to Ebay like hillsy does. So often and for so much $$$ that it is my "Go To" before amazon.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Awesome; thank you too!

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

18MM was the right size for the stock master cylinder. I tried to press it in with a c-clamp but the pivoting end on the screw of the clamp made that not work. I ended up getting a socket that was the same size as the outer ring of the glass, holding that up to it, then gently hit the socket with a hammer to drive the sight glass in. Just bled the brake. No leaks. All of it was done without removing the master cylinder from the bike. I’d give it a 3 out of 10 for difficulty.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:06 pm
18MM was the right size for the stock master cylinder. I tried to press it in with a c-clamp but the pivoting end on the screw of the clamp made that not work. I ended up getting a socket that was the same size as the outer ring of the glass, holding that up to it, then gently hit the socket with a hammer to drive the sight glass in. Just bled the brake. No leaks. All of it was done without removing the master cylinder from the bike. I’d give it a 3 out of 10 for difficulty.
Good for you!

I found that the Sight Glass replacement I had was to bit "tougher" to press in, hence my suggestion of using a Bench Vise as did I.

When one of my C clamps "walks around" like what you experienced, I found that it is primarily caused by rust on the Ball End of the Threaded Clamp Piece, and also inside the Pivoting "Foot" where the Ball End Bears pressure on.

To beget better Clamping without the pivoting Foot "walking" as much, try using some Course-grade Liquid Buffing Compound to "sand" those two mating parts. That usually knocks off most the rust. Then clean the Compound all out with BrakeKleen,..and administer a healthy does of Grease inside.

If the C Clamp hasn't been over-torqued and the Threaded Portion lines up correctly with the Flat Part of the C Clamp, this usually does The Trick. :ShitGrinandThumb:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:06 pm
Awesome :cheers: