Rehab project

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Rehab project

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

I have a 2000 VS1400 Intruder that has been sitting in the salty air of my old place by the bay for about 2 years. I am trying to breathe some life back into her. It got pretty corroded in some places. A lot of the chrome plating is coming off of the engine side covers as well as other places. The front brake and clutch levers were pretty well stuck, I got them moving freely today and they seem to work OK. I’m going to change fluids and try to start it up soon and see if the juice is worth the squeeze. Wish me luck. I’ll post a photo as soon as I figure out how (I’m on an iPhone, if anyone knows how to uploads a photo from your phone)

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Rehab project

Post by navigator »

Good luck.
Revitalizing is always fun, but may be expensive.
Get her running first, cosmetics later.
Lots of 1400 parts in the Flea Market section here.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:04 am
I’ll post a photo as soon as I figure out how (I’m on an iPhone, if anyone knows how to uploads a photo from your phone)
This site doesn't host photos so you will need a photo host site (PhotoBucket, Imgur, PostImages, IMGBB, etc). You upload the photo to the host site then copy the IMG code into your post on this site.

Good luck with your project :ShitGrinandThumb:

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Thanks

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

So far I’m making some progress. Fuel pump is no good so I’m waiting for the new one. Got my front brake light switch working and now have brake lights again. Tail lights were still not coming on. Thankfully, there is a post in here with a wiring schematic. That saved me a hell of a lot of time troubleshooting that. I disconnected the harness at each plug and read continuity. If it was good I jumped in a 9v battery to make sure the lights came on. I worked forward this way until I got to the plug for the ignition switch. Sure enough no continuity through the switch. It comes off easy enough with the fuel pump out of the way. Took the switch apart and found corroded contacts. A little WD-40 and 400 grit sandpaper took car of that. Cleaned up the switch and hooked it back up. Got good tail lights now. Pulled the spark plugs to check for spark and it looks pretty good. I should be able to introduce fuel to the carbs next week when the new pump gets here. Fingers crossed it pumps fuel and fires up.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Well, the forks are rebuilt and new tires installed. Went to go for a short test ride around the neighborhood and now my left turn signal doesn’t work. Right signal works good, but nothing on the left front or rear. I took apart the switch and cleaned the contacts in there and still nothing. Have to get out the multimeter and check things out when I have time. The tires and forks were supposed to be the last things I needed before I could get my state safety inspection done. Oh well, new gremlin. THATS what happens when something sits for a long while, so I expected these things to pop up. It’ll be back on the road soon. Other than turn signal problems, the test ride went well. I think I’m going to do some thing to prevent further corrosion, ride it the rest of this season and work on the many cosmetic issues when it gets cold again. But first time to chase wires…again!!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:58 pm
Well, the forks are rebuilt and new tires installed. Went to go for a short test ride around the neighborhood and now my left turn signal doesn’t work. Right signal works good, but nothing on the left front or rear. I took apart the switch and cleaned the contacts in there and still nothing. Have to get out the multimeter and check things out when I have time. The tires and forks were supposed to be the last things I needed before I could get my state safety inspection done. Oh well, new gremlin. THATS what happens when something sits for a long while, so I expected these things to pop up. It’ll be back on the road soon. Other than turn signal problems, the test ride went well. I think I’m going to do some thing to prevent further corrosion, ride it the rest of this season and work on the many cosmetic issues when it gets cold again. But first time to chase wires…again!!
Rehab of a vehicle that has sat for a long time is always a PITA but usually worth it. Keep it up and you will have a good ride.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Couldn’t let it sit. It was an easy fix. The black wire bullet connector inside the headlight had a poor connection. It took me longer to figure out how to stuff all the wiring back in the headlight dome when I was done. Time to shop for a new helmet now! As long as the safety inspection goes ok, I’ll be back on the road soon with my knees in the breeze.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Great job!!!

I know what you mean about the amount of room in the headlight shell... Suzuki could have made it just a little bigger and relieved a lot of problems.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.