No pressure to bleed rear brake..

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

No pressure to bleed rear brake..

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Sucked and q-tipped out the reservoir to fill with fresh fluid and bleed but not getting any pressure.
Sucked clean back out of reservoir to try reverse bleeding, filled ketchup/mustard bottle with fluid and squeezed with bleeder open and no go.. Seems to leak around bleeder screw instead of filling reservoir.

What am I dealing with here and how do I fix it??
All help/input appreciated Fam.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: No pressure to bleed rear brake..

Post by hillsy »

If you are reverse bleeding take the bleed nipple out and wrap some plumbers tape around the threads so the fluid doesn't weep out.

Also it's best to use clear hose so you can see the air coming out and so you can make sure you don't push air back into the line.

And a syringe is probably best as it allows better control of the fluid. 50CC is big enough - something like this....

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:35 pm
If you are reverse bleeding take the bleed nipple out and wrap some plumbers tape around the threads so the fluid doesn't weep out.

Also it's best to use clear hose so you can see the air coming out and so you can make sure you don't push air back into the line.

And a syringe is probably best as it allows better control of the fluid. 50CC is big enough - something like this....

Thanks for the tips.
I am squeezing that bottle pretty hard and it's definitely pressurized.. Just not going. I'll get some Teflon tape and give it another go.. Not sure it'll get it to the reservoir though.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Was there fluid coming out of the bleed nipple at any stage? They can clog up - but if you are taking it out you can ensure it's clear.

Also you need to unscrew the nipple a "bit more" when reverse bleeding - and your bottle set-up might make it hard to get enough pressure compared to a smaller volume syringe.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

2 things to consider:1 blocked bleeder nipple. 2:Collapsed inner sheathing in the hose.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Lechy wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:12 pm
2 things to consider:1 blocked bleeder nipple. 2:Collapsed inner sheathing in the hose.
Yep.

This is where the clear hose comes in handy because you would be able to see some fluid / air come out of the bleed nipple if there's no blockage. Or if you crack the nipple and pump the lever and some air / fluid only comes out of the bleeder threads then you know the bleeder is blocked.

Anyway, you'll get there.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Lechy wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:46 pm
Was there fluid coming out of the bleed nipple at any stage? They can clog up - but if you are taking it out you can ensure it's clear.

Also you need to unscrew the nipple a "bit more" when reverse bleeding - and your bottle set-up might make it hard to get enough pressure compared to a smaller volume syringe.
I removed nipple and got fluid moving through it so it's good. Pressed peddle with it off a little to see if fluid flows and it does. Put nipple back in and filled cup a little again to try bleeding normally and still hard to get pressure built up. I do get some flow and bubbles into the bottle of old fluid but it's barely moving it and cup level hardly drop. I also heard what sounded like micro bubbles from the master (Like you hear from the hand lever masters through the tiny hole) when i flicked the lever rapidly / pressed slow and let it flick back and pressed slow many times and held at bottom. Either way... This crap is pissing me off. Lol.

Think I need a rebuild kit or not yet??
If so.. Where do I get one??
If not.. What the hell am I doing wrong?? Lol.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Keep in mind that the volume of the rear master cylinder is very small if there is any air in the line to the master it will take a long time to get it out. When I bleed the rear brake it seems to push out about half what the clutch and front brake put out.

Also, if the brake pedal isn't all the way retracted fluid won't go through it for a reverse bleed.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Herb wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:51 pm
Keep in mind that the volume of the rear master cylinder is very small if there is any air in the line to the master it will take a long time to get it out. When I bleed the rear brake it seems to push out about half what the clutch and front brake put out.

Also, if the brake pedal isn't all the way retracted fluid won't go through it for a reverse bleed.
Still not building pressure. Emptied old fluid bottle to see it and how much it was filling and nothing. It's only pumping out air. Took nipple off.. Topped hole with finger.. Pumped peddle.. Released pressure from hole.. Topped and repeat.. All I'm getting is air..

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Thanks brother; Gonna hafta try that.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Honestly Bronx a syringe with a 6" piece of clear hose will do the same job as a Mityvac.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

:bang:
Too late. Lol. Also... Didn't work. Just holding vacuum and not flowing.
So.... Collapsed line?? Or master cylinder plunger seized in the pressed position?? Or....??

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Try building pressure with the pump, opening the nipple and then pushing the brake pedal all the way down a few times to see if you can dislodge any blockage.

Or go with Lechy.
Lechy wrote:
2 things to consider: 2:Collapsed inner sheathing in the hose.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Just in case.

[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Take the lines off the master cylinder and see what happens when you apply suction to them. That will tell you if the blockage is in the one of the lines or the master cylinder.

Was the brake working at all before you went to bleed it?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

:ShitGrinandThumb:
Herb wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:17 pm
Take the lines off the master cylinder and see what happens when you apply suction to them. That will tell you if the blockage is in the one of the lines or the master cylinder.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Herb wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Okay.. So it wasn't pulling fluid through when i disconnected the line from caliper at the master and i ordered a stainless line to install. Still not pulling from cup so i disconnected the line from the cup at the master and applied suction to that banjo fitting.. Still would not suck from cup so then I pulled the cup off and disconnected it from the line with little block. Applied suction to the block end and it's very barely allowing any air to pass through.. Vacuum holds.
So that stainless line with little block from cup to master is definitely screwed unless there's a way to unblock it. Lol.

And no.. It wasn't working before trying to bleed it.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Try blowing the hose out from the master to the reservoir and see if something got caught in there.

I had a 2 stroke that the line to the injection lube pump plugged up. When I took it apart it had a HUGE fly stuck in the line from the tank. I have NO idea how in hell a huge fly ended up in the tank. Since it was used when I bought it, the damn thing could have been there for years before sinking down far enough to plug the fitting.

Warning, you need to take the brake fluid reservoir off of the bike because if there is any fluid there and it blows on the bike it will damage any paint it gets on.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Herb wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:46 pm
Try blowing the hose out from the master to the reservoir and see if something got caught in there.

I had a 2 stroke that the line to the injection lube pump plugged up. When I took it apart it had a HUGE fly stuck in the line from the tank. I have NO idea how in hell a huge fly ended up in the tank. Since it was used when I bought it, the damn thing could have been there for years before sinking down far enough to plug the fitting.

Warning, you need to take the brake fluid reservoir off of the bike because if there is any fluid there and it blows on the bike it will damage any paint it gets on.
Yeah.. That's what I did. Took it all off and applied vacuum to both ends but got no flow at all.
Just now tried applied pressure from the block end.. Got up to 34 Lbs of pressure and nothing.. Completely blocked somehow.