Cutting S83 Handlebar clamp

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Cutting S83 Handlebar clamp

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:10 am

Seems you fail to see, the,...saga,...you created WAS FIXED by him doing the Caliper-on, Cleaning Method that I had outlined.....and is now perpetuated by your Stubborn Refusal to accept these Blatant FACTS.

Cleaning the pistons by themselves is not going to magically firm up the brake lever - I'd say the fact that the pistons were pumped out and then pushed back in has actually reverse bled the system.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm
Designer wrote:
Seems you fail to see, the,...saga,...you created WAS FIXED by him doing the Caliper-on, Cleaning Method that I had outlined.....and is now perpetuated by your Stubborn Refusal to accept these Blatant FACTS.
Cleaning the pistons by themselves is not going to magically firm up the brake lever - I'd say the fact that the pistons were pumped, cleaned then pushed back in has actually reverse bled the system.
For crying out loud! :shock: ......You just do not know when to quit, do you? .....You just simply MUST keep posting your,.,."I am right because I am a Mechanic". You just cannot accept that the Piston Cleaning suggestion I made FIXED the problem Pvt-nemesis had. And,....You WERE WRONG, when you claimed your,...mucking around…suggestion was PROVEN to not be a ''test".

When are you going to admit all that?....huh,........WHEN??

Now you persist in trying to Save Face from your blatant ERROR with this line of total guesswork.

hillsy...STOP. Just STOP dragging this Thread DOWN with your personality fault of thinking you are Always Right.

pvt-nemesis FIXED his Brake problem,.. DOING WHAT I SUGGESTED. You ARE NOT "THE BURNING BUSH" of this Tech Board.

Now....GROW UP,....And,... LEARN TO LIVE WITH THAT. :wink:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:04 pm
hillsy wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm
Designer wrote:
Cleaning the pistons by themselves is not going to magically firm up the brake lever - I'd say the fact that the pistons were pumped, cleaned then pushed back in has actually reverse bled the system.
For crying out loud! :shock: ......You just do not know when to quit, do you? .....You just simply MUST keep posting your,.,."I am right because I am a Mechanic". You just cannot accept that the Piston Cleaning suggestion I made FIXED the problem Pvt-nemesis had. And,....You WERE WRONG, when you claimed your,...mucking around…suggestion was PROVEN to not be a ''test".

When are you going to admit all that?....huh,........WHEN??

Now you persist in trying to Save Face from your blatant ERROR with this line of total guesswork.

hillsy...STOP. Just STOP dragging this Thread DOWN with your personality fault of thinking you are Always Right.

pvt-nemesis FIXED his Brake problem,.. DOING WHAT I SUGGESTED. You ARE NOT "THE BURNING BUSH" of this Tech Board.

Now....GROW UP,....And,... LEARN TO LIVE WITH THAT. :wink:
Maybe you could explain how dirt on a caliper piston makes the brake lever spongy? If anything the dirt would stop the piston retracting, not the other way. Like Herb's noticed with getting more mileage out of his pads when he cleans the pistons more regularly.

But hey - happy to hear your explanation on this.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:19 pm
Maybe you could explain how dirt on a caliper piston makes the brake lever spongy? If anything the dirt would stop the piston retracting, not the other way. Like Herb's noticed with getting more mileage out of his pads when he cleans the pistons more regularly. But hey - happy to hear your explanation on this.
No hillsy, you are not going to wiggle your way out of this. This needs to stop,...and right here is as good as any place.

You and your ..." I'm a mechanic so I'm Always Right"...attitude has dragged down Yet Another Thread....and this feeble attempt of yours to evade Facing That will not work.

YOU need to admit YOU were wrong, (as was clearly pointed out before),...AND....that Pvt-nemesis did not choose your "solution"....but chose mine,...and he said it FIXED his problem....then....stop posting your butthurt about that.

You need to apologize to Pvt-nemesis and us all for what you did to his Thread.

If you don't, we will know,.. without a doubt,...about the Quality of your Personal Character.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:26 am
:bang: :bang: :bang:
+1
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:53 am
....a big pile of rubbish....
For the benefit of anyone else that might be looking at this thread for solutions (heaven forbid), please explain how cleaning the dirt off of caliper pistons has somehow fixed the spongy lever situation?

We'd all like to know how that level of voodoo works.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

This went from a riser question to a brake question to a bitch session. Way to fast.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:57 pm
This went from a riser question to a brake question to a bitch session. Way to fast.
Yes Herb,....it seems quite so.
A perusal of the last few pages of posting history shows that it was hillsy that originated the bickering problems herein....and his last message shows he is STILL is trying to bicker about the method You, Pvt-nemesis and I used to clean the pistons!! The one PROVEN that works!

His Problem/Personal Issue is pointed out in the last sentence underlined below.
Designer wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:33 pm
This whole brake saga could have been avoided if he'd popped out the pistons and cleaned the caliper before he put it on. You don't need new seals to do this.
No,
The.... whole brake saga.....was you endlessly trying to discredit/attack what I said,...all while trying to push your.....Caliper off, all Pistons out, Cleaning, Reassembly, Reinstall, Bleeding .... mucking around,...which you erroneously tried to claim was..."testing" ....but was proved NOT to be testing, ......but a REMEDY.

Seems you fail to see, the,...saga,...you created WAS FIXED by him doing the Caliper-on, Cleaning Method that I had outlined....and is now perpetuated by your Stubborn Refusal to accept these Blatant FACTS.

Just quit hillsy.........really,..........do that.

You and your... "I am always right because I am a mechanic".... attitude has dragged down YET ANOTHER Good Thread.
:uhh:

One can only now hope that Pvt-nemesis will ignore the endless petty bickering argument(s) that hillsy levels at others with his .. "I am always right because I am a mechanic".... attitude . :dunno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:16 am

A perusal of the last few pages of posting history shows that it was hillsy that originated the bickering problems herein....and his last message shows he is STILL is trying to bicker about the method You, Pvt-nemesis and I used to clean the pistons!! The one PROVEN that works!

Nope - the problem was he couldn't get pressure at the lever. He even bought a new MC kit as he thought this was the problem. Now he HAS pressure at the lever.

Now - please tell us all how cleaning the pistons fixed this problem?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:13 pm
Designer wrote:
So sorry hillsy,...but your selective quoting does NOT evade,.. nor side-step... THE FACT that you ARE the originator of the bickering here.
And,...that you were Wrong about your Caliper-removal-Blow-Pistons-out cleaning method being only a ..."test"
And,...that you were Wrong about the Cleaning Method I proposed as being,..."crap advice"

And,......I can back that up alllll the way.

So it would be best for you and our Tech Board to stop this incessant side-show argument.

You are dragging this Thread down into the toilet,..... just like you did with LSU Tiger and his clutch problem.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 pm
hillsy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:13 pm
Designer wrote:
So sorry hillsy,...but your selective quoting does NOT evade,.. nor side-step... THE FACT that you ARE the originator of the bickering here. And about several topics herein.

So it would be best for you and our Tech Board to stop this incessant side-show argument.

You are dragging this Thread down into the toilet,..... just like you did with LSU Tiger and his clutch problem.
Stop avoiding the issue - tell us how cleaning the pistons fixed the spongy lever issue - for the sake of the tech part of this thread.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy,....YOU stop evading THE SEVERAL ISSUES.
Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 pm
Designer wrote:

So sorry hillsy,...but your selective quoting does NOT evade,.. nor side-step... THE FACT that you ARE the originator of the bickering here.
And,...that you were Wrong about your Caliper-removal-Blow-Pistons-out cleaning method being only a ..."test"
And,...that you were Wrong about the Cleaning Method I proposed as being,..."crap advice"

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

So you can't explain WHY your method fixed what it did? :dunno:

This is a Tech Folder - enquiring minds wanna know.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy,....You need to Stop this shit of yours.

You tried to start a Side-show Argument that your Labor- Involved Caliper-cleaning method was merely a .....'test"
That got proven it wasn't,....and you were Wrong.

Then you tried to start a Side-show Argument that my less-involved Caliper Cleaning Method was,....."crap advice".
That got proven it wasn't,....and you were Wrong.

Now,...you are all butthurt,...so you are trying to start Yet ANOTHER side-show bickering argument.

hillsy,....you were proven wrong,..TWICE,....and thus, you are NOT.."The Burning Bush" of the Tech Board.

Grow up,...and accept that.

EVERYONE sees it,....and your repeated attempts and more Bickering only drags down this Thread even MORE than you already have,...and makes you look ever more foolish.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

It's a simple question to answer - how does cleaning the caliper pistons fix a spongy lever - but old mate apparently is unable to answer?

So much for putting VALUABLE INFORMATION in a Tech Folder, eh?

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

Cleaning the pistons has stopped them sticking to the seals. The seals pull them back from the disc normally but the dirty pistons meant they were pulled back excessively....visibly. This requires far more travel at the MC before the lever is firm, akin to but different from, spongy.

The brake disc and i spent a couple of hours with a sheet of steel plate, some bolts, packers and some heavy clamps. Straightened out again now as it was a simple, single fall bend. So far it is holding true even after braking heat.
Ya hya chouhada!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Pvt_Nemesis wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:00 am
Cleaning the pistons has stopped them sticking to the seals. The seals pull them back from the disc normally but the dirty pistons meant they were pulled back excessively....visibly. This requires far more travel at the MC before the lever is firm, akin to but different from, spongy.

The brake disc and i spent a couple of hours with a sheet of steel plate, some bolts, packers and some heavy clamps. Straightened out again now as it was a simple, single fall bend. So far it is holding true even after braking heat.
Haha - you had shit that far behind the seals? You need to buy a lottery ticket if your caliper isn't pissing out fluid.

Out of curiosity - were the caliper pistons all pushed in when you got the caliper or did you push them back? Either way - a lesson learnt with regards to making sure the caliper is totally clean before you start. They can be unforgiving when they've been sitting and it's amazing how quick things corrode once there's residual brake fluid exposed to fresh air.

Nice work with the disc - as long as the disc face wasn't damaged they normally straighten up OK.

How's the milled triple clamp idea coming along? Any word from your machining guy on this?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Pvt_Nemesis wrote:
Thanks for this Update! Since you report that it's Fixed,..the Cleaning Method you used did "The Trick" without all that mucking around with having to ...Drain the system,...remove the Caliper,...Blow out the Pistons,.. Clean them,...reinstall them,,...reinstall the Caliper,.... and Bleed the System again.

Good work! Your Successful efforts shows we all here on The Board know of A Better Solution.
Pvt_Nemesis wrote:
Now that we have settled the needless side-show arguments, this was going to be my next question.

You might find that over time, the Braking Heat will help smooth out this small deviation you have left in the Rotor. Be careful though. The Six Piston Caliper can generate A LOT of heat,..and REAL QUICK,...that can possibly distort the Rotor if you do some REAL hard/prolonged braking.

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

No word on the upper triple clamp from Winters but found some interesting bars with 100mm separation between the risers. Out of stock here but this listing has better pics:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-26mm-Drag-T- ... 632-2357-0

Need to check the bolt fittings but should be able to adapt if needed. Risers still bend rearwards which alters seating/ergonomics BUT the wider grip spacing then pulls you back forward {the idea being to hang on your bones not your muscles so arma at full stretch).
Ya hya chouhada!