Gas cap wont come off, Key still turns.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Gas cap wont come off, Key still turns.

Post by plyr1 »

My gas cap won't come off even when the is turned, how far should the key turn to unlock it? Mine is slighting off of 90. There were no issues last time I opened it about a month ago, Key turns just fine to 80 degrees or so but the cap just won't come loose. I'm assuming the pins are just not retracting but I read it could be the vacuum but I wanted to check here before draining all the fuel and not being able to put any more in. Thanks.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Gas cap wont come off, Key still turns.

Post by hillsy »

Squirt some penetrating fluid in the key slot then push down a bit on the cap whilst you turn the key. It might need a little help to get the latches free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

+1, push down on the cap. You have ridges worn on the two tangs.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

I put some fluid in there to no avail, put quite a bit in there and let it sit for a while but still nothing. Also tried pushing down on it, even tapped it with a hammer while turning the key and have jiggled it to try and get it to go that extra bit. I can't hear a click when turning the key to the unlock position but I can when turning it back. Does anyone know if they do go to 90degrees? Or if it needs to so I can open it? It gets so close to it that I'm wondering if its even an issue.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

They do turn 90 degrees.
If you don't get a full 90, the tangs aren't fully retracted.
I suppose it is an issue if you cant remove the cap.
Try pressing down, when the key is turned try prying up on the cap.

plyr1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by plyr1 »

I got it open and it turns out the linkage for one of the retractable bits was broken, Still works with only one fang until the new one comes in. Maybe its just mine but now that I fixed it it defiantly doesn't need to be the full 90 to open, that 80 to 85 is a far as it goes, Likely just mine though.