Sparks from the starter

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 S83 83 750Maxim 06 WR250

Sparks from the starter

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

Turned off the bike tonight went and opened the garage went to start the bike again sparks flew from beside my right foot. Had the wife watch as I started it again and the sparks are coming from under the rubber cover on the starter in the front of the bike. It wouldn't start again the third time I tried it, waited a few minutes and it started again. The bike was too hot to get into it tonight, any things I should be looking for? Is it just a nut under that rubber cover? Any help or heads up would be great don't want to put the bike away for its winter sleep wondering if it will start in the spring.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Sparks from the starter

Post by hillsy »

It's more than likely a loose terminal connection. Careful when you check / tighten that you don't spin the terminal bolt as this can sometimes ground out inside the starter and then it will not work.

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

So it's just a nut on a bolt under that cover? It was way to hot to pull the rubber cover the wire going to the rubber cap seemed tight.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Yep - should be a 10mm nut with a couple of washers clamping the terminal to the post.

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

Thanks for the heads up I will have a look after work tomorrow and give an update.

Uxbridge Brule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Uxbridge Brule »

Couldn't leave it alone if it was only a single bolt to tighten, right. The bolt was tight so I took it off and gave it a good clean not much room but put the nut back on and still sparked?!?! Turns out the chrome cover came apart and it was fine where it bolted into the bike but the part that hides the starter was separated and was making contact with the "hot" starter bolt. I couldn't get it out without taking loads more off the front(running theme with these bikes :bang: ) so I got it into place and tack welded it . I will have to take the cover off eventually to sand it and have it painted or re-chromed but it's good enough for now, NO SPARKS WHOO HOOO!!!!
Thanks for the help hillsy

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Glad you got that sorted :ShitGrinandThumb: