What to do about jetting?

WV 1400 Rider
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 VS1400 GLP

What to do about jetting?

Post by WV 1400 Rider »

Hi guys. This is my first post, so please forgive any early gaffes of forum etiquette.
I recently purchased a 2003 VS1400 Intruder with 14k miles, 18" Jardine turn-out slip-ons, and soon to have K&N drop in air filters.
Noticing some performance issues, it seemed as though the front cylinder wasn't firing at idle, and lean at steady state. At the same time, both exhausts are black with soot.
Having no history from the PO, I decided to take a look. Well...
When I got the front airbox out, imagine my surprise when I saw that the original front filter was gone. Deteriorated and ingested by the engine. The front carb was congested with the remains of the filter. $%#*! Time for a pull down to get the carbs clean. If you're gonna do one, might as well do them both, right?
Anyhow, here comes the need for advice from someone with knowledge of the VS1400.
When I got into the carbs, I noticed there were no numbers on any of the metering devices in the carbs. Needles, jets, nothing. No markings whatsoever. Some hero in the past installed a cheap assed Chinese carb kit.
What should I do to establish a baseline for tuning? What would be the best route for handling this? Aftermarket jet kit? Factory parts? Any suggestions for a baseline with K&Ns in a stock airbox and Jardine slip-ons?

WV 1400 Rider
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 VS1400 GLP

Re: What to do about jetting?

Post by WV 1400 Rider »

Hello? Anyone?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You're running stock headers and airboxes still so get a Dynojet Stage 1 kit and buy standard size jets and a few sizes up. You'll probably be OK with standard but jets are pretty cheap so get a few sizes to experiment.

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

From my old post and I no longer have this bike.
---------------------
With my California 2007 s83, I rejected with Factory Pro 1.0 kit. Stock air boxes and filters with V&H Classic II slip-on.

Pilot
Front / Rear
52.5 / 55 (stock 50 / 55)

Main
137.5 / 135 (stock 125/140)

Needles (both front and rear)
2nd position with stock nylon spacer and washer under the clip.

I checked the float level and both are good, so I did not make any adjustment.
air/fuel mixture adjusted for best idle and then carb synced.

The bike ran perfectly with this setup with no decel pop and I only needed to use the enricher during cold winter in Los Angeles area.
When stock, I have exhaust lean-pops and always need to use the enricher to start and warm up the bike.
----------------