Beautiful Ride then she Died

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Beautiful Ride then she Died

Post by Herb »

Your welcome. I hope it helps.

One thing I took for granted was that your previous work ruled out a bad ground.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

surass
Learning My Moped
My Bike: s83

Post by surass »

Herb wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:27 pm
Your welcome. I hope it helps.

One thing I took for granted was that your previous work ruled out bad ground.
Yes I have checked the main ground 2 times to no change but I will triple check that too. Thanks Herb, I'm headed at the ignition fur sure seems like something is wrong there that would shut everything off and down to 0. This is still a mystery but I have hope now that I may be getting closer to a solution with your and FA's help. Thank you!!! :bow: :bow: :bang:

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by FinTruder »

I just watched Mike Brewer's world of cars and there was an epidose where this one shop did aftermarket wiring looms and they said they do those for pretty much every motor. MIke ordered one for hes car and it didnt cost much. I wonder if there is places where someone can do same for motorcycles also..
Disassemble, assemble, repeat

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FinTruder wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:34 pm
I just watched Mike Brewer's world of cars and there was an epidose where this one shop did aftermarket wiring looms and they said they do those for pretty much every motor. MIke ordered one for hes car and it didnt cost much. I wonder if there is places where someone can do same for motorcycles also..
I don't know but the amount of wires on the bike is a little bit intimidating to me fo sure. :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The wiring on the 1400 is actually pretty simple and reliable. It just looks intimidating and it is sometimes hard to find connections but the systems are color-coded.

While I have had a few problems with my 1400 the majority of the wiring is stock even though the bike is a 99 with over 240,000 miles on the basic bike and the wiring.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Herb wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 pm
The wiring on the 1400 is actually pretty simple and reliable. It just looks intimidating and it is sometimes hard to find connections but the systems are color-coded.

While I have had a few problems with my 1400 the majority of the wiring is stock even though the bike is a 99 with over 240,000 miles on the basic bike and the wiring.
That is very heartening Herb! I will never give up and with you and the forums help, will get this figured out. Do think it could be one of the relays? :confused: :bang: I am headed for the ignition switch in the morn! :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

surass wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:55 pm
Herb wrote:

That is very heartening Herb! I will never give up and with you and the forums help, will get this figured out. Do think it could be one of the relays? :confused: :bang: I am headed for the ignition switch in the morn! :bang:
Considering that nothing is working and none of the relays are in the main power system, I doubt it.

BTW, I bought a used bike once that the owner had installed a hidden toggle switch in the main power circuit. It got turned off and I spent 2 f'n days tracing that crap out.

The jackass hadn't bothered to tell me about it... Dumbass...

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Herb wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 pm
surass wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:55 pm
Herb wrote:

Considering that nothing is working and none of the relays are in the main power system, I doubt it.

BTW, I bought a used bike once that the owner had installed a hidden toggle switch in the main power circuit. It got turned off and I spent 2 f'n days tracing that crap out.

The jackass hadn't bothered to tell me about it... Dumbass...
Jackass fur sure I'd like ta kick his ass. Thanks Herb I won't worry about the relays then. I really appreciate your help!!! :bow:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Sorry I meant circuit breaker it will look like this
https://peerlesselectronics.com/123a20a ... WYQAvD_BwE
These are often used in place of a fuse and meant to reset if the system is overloaded. These have a life count the more they pop the weaker they become and wont re set

You can get a Power probe from any tool truck
Here is a link to Amazon

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

surass wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:57 pm
think so....maybee....you on the right place man? :blink: :blink: :bonk:
It might seem like he's not. I saw he was using a little Aftermarket Filter for Crankcase Venting in one of his pictures. Knowing the mess they make, I offered to post My Mod.

FinTruder wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:55 pm
Designer wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 am
I have a Mod that will eliminate the residue/Dirt/crap that ends up accumulating all over the Front Cylinder Head from this Vapor.
Would you like to see it?

I would love to. Let us see that mod!
Okie Dokie! :smile: Ask And Ye Shall Receive! :ShitGrin:

The Idea is to get the Crankcase Vapors routed back into the Intake ( like the Stock setup is). So,...to that end,...I first drilled a hole on the bottom of the K&N Air filter.

Then, using the Stock Venting Hoses, I mapped out the making of the Hoses to connect to it. Of course, there is cutting and resizing and the Brass Threaded fitting you see in the picture gets changed

Because space is tight, you need to use an Angled Hose Barb ( instead of the Straight Fitting ) under the K&N Air Filter. This Bad Boy does The Trick when Threaded into the Hole I drilled in the bottom of the Air Filter I got it at Home Depot;

Installed, it looks like this:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Designer wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:32 am
surass wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:57 pm
think so....maybee....you on the right place man? :blink: :blink: :bonk:
It might seem like he's not. I saw he was using a little Aftermarket Filter for Crankcase Venting in one of his pictures. Knowing the mess they make, I offered to post My Mod.

I see....does this have something to do with my problem? :bang:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 am
Sorry I meant circuit breaker it will look like this
https://peerlesselectronics.com/123a20a ... WYQAvD_BwE
These are often used in place of a fuse and meant to reset if the system is overloaded. These have a life count the more they pop the weaker they become and wont re set

You can get a Power probe from any tool truck
Here is a link to Amazon
Thanks FA! I use to have one of those but I don't know where the heck its ran oft to :bang: Can I check them with a multi-meter?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks FA! I use to have one of those but I don't know where the heck its ran oft to Can I check them with a multi-meter?
Thats why I have 2
And Sure you can check your electrical system with a Multi Meter
The only draw back is you have to watch your meter
You can see a light turn on out of the corner of your eye

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:08 am
surass wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks FA! I use to have one of those but I don't know where the heck its ran oft to Can I check them with a multi-meter?
Thats why I have 2
And Sure you can check your electrical system with a Multi Meter
The only draw back is you have to watch your meter
You can see a light turn on out of the corner of your eye
going out to check her over Thanks FA! :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:18 am

going out to check her over Thanks FA!
If I may make a suggestion
get or make a test jumper out of a couple alligator clamps and a length of wire
use it to connect your multi meter to the Battery negative not a chassis ground
This will free up one hand and insure you have a good ground
I was using a test light to chase an intermittent short on a step van, we assumed it was a broken wire under the van
I tested my light at the battery and proceeded to use the chassis as a ground poking the wire and moving my clamp as I went
I thought I found to short about 4 feet under the van and proceeded to remove the wire and when I got to the light and pulled the cover I found the short
A soldered connection at the light that I was told was good by the guy that soldered it when he installed the light
I never ever solder anything on vehicles

Same guy also burned of his eyebrows while using matches to find a propane leak ahhhh funny story
I wish I had seen it
I* did get to hear it

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:36 am
surass wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:18 am

going out to check her over Thanks FA!
If I may make a suggestion
get or make a test jumper out of a couple alligator clamps and a length of wire
use it to connect your multi meter to the Battery negative not a chassis ground
This will free up one hand and insure you have a good ground
I was using a test light to chase an intermittent short on a step van, we assumed it was a broken wire under the van
I tested my light at the battery and proceeded to use the chassis as a ground poking the wire and moving my clamp as I went
I thought I found to short about 4 feet under the van and proceeded to remove the wire and when I got to the light and pulled the cover I found the short
A soldered connection at the light that I was told was good by the guy that soldered it when he installed the light
I never ever solder anything on vehicles

Same guy also burned of his eyebrows while using matches to find a propane leak ahhhh funny story
I wish I had seen it
I* did get to hear it
Here's what I got....I did the wiggle test with the ignition in the ON position....nothin still. Then with the ignition in the OFF position, I checked the volts on the battery and got 10.6 volts that was test leads on the pos of batt and a bolt on the frame to ground. Then did the same with the ignition in the ON position and the volts went way down to around 0.04 volts. does this mean my ignition is good and my batt is bad? Need your help! :bang: doesn't seem like my batt is holding a charge very good it is three years old but has been on a trickle charger the whole time when not ridin of coarse.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

While the battery may not be the only problem, you will have to get a good one before you can go any farther.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Sounds like your battery is gone if it's not accepting a charge and you are getting those readings. You could probably take it to an auto store and get it load tested.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Herb wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:29 pm
While the battery may not be the only problem, you will have to get a good one before you can go any farther.
Battery store is the next step. Thanks I will post up results after I do. :bow: :bang:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:39 pm
Sounds like your battery is gone if it's not accepting a charge and you are getting those readings. You could probably take it to an auto store and get it load tested.
Thanks I will geter a new batt and post up results :bow: :bang: :bang: