Beautiful Ride then she Died

surass
Learning My Moped
My Bike: s83

Beautiful Ride then she Died

Post by surass »

Just got home from a beautiful ride and got off the bike (and left it idling to open the garage) and it started running rough backfired a couple times and died. When I turn the key to the on position there is no sign of power. No lights or gauges ect.... Anyone have this problem? Please help! My bike is a 2005 S83.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: Beautiful Ride then she Died

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 3:28 pm
Just got home from a beautiful ride and got off the bike (and left it idling to open the garage) and it started running rough backfired a couple times and died. When I turn the key to the on position there is no sign of power. No lights or gauges ect.... Anyone have this problem? Please help! My bike is a 2005 S83.
Damn
Same thing happend tp me today except mine died while I was riding it
2000 FXST. Still sorting it out
I replaced the rectifier a month ago and ordered another for a spare
Thought it may be the stater tested the charging system and its putting out 12.4 - 13.5 volts and then It just died again
No KV's and an low battery

You might want to check your battery connections after a good charge
Me Im going to look for a short

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Yes, battery cable might be loose, that's a good idea. Thank you, I will check that first. It is so strange because I had just finished an 88.5 mile trip that had one stop in it and the bike ran great and started easy the whole time. How did yours die?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Im not sure yet

I let the batt charge and was testing and it died again
Cranks no start no spark and now im charging the battery again

I have to check the schematic to see what wire out of the three have current and and which has signal and the specs
Hope its something stupid and simple we have good riding weather

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Please let me know if you figure it out. Wiring can be a bugger. I will start at the battery tomorrow and will post back as I go. Thank you for your help! Anyone else have similar issue in the past? Please chime in! :bang: :bang:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

Just did a quick check with my voltmeter via the battery tender port and she reads 13.15 volts- that is with the bike not running of coarse, Is that a normal voltage at rest? :bang: :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:09 pm
Just did a quick check with my voltmeter via the battery tender port and she reads 13.15 volts- that is with the bike not running of coarse, Is that a normal voltage at rest? :bang: :bang:
Yes
???No Crank ???
Check your grounds
Check Power sid of the battery tender to the frame or engine Or both

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

no crank no lights no gauges I will check that out Thank You! :bang: :bang:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

I just did another test from the battery tender port + to the engine - and got the same results: 13.15v What does this mean? To the frame I got zero

:bang: :bang:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Start checking the fuses.

This may be a dumb question but if you just came off a long ride how is the fuel level? Have you tried turning the reserve on?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

will check but lots o gas Thanks!

:bang: :bang:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Kick stand switch?

If you jumped the clutch safety did it come undone?

Try running jumper cables from a car (make sure the car engine is off) positive to the positive cable on the starter then just touch the neutral to something that can find ground. The bolts on the the exhaust clamps work but you may leave a small mark on them. If your clutch switch is still connected tie the clutch back before you do it. If it starts you will at least know the problem is between the battery and the starter.

Another crazy question but one I have done before. Did you accidentally hit the kill switch? I was stuck in a parking lot for 30 minutes one day because of that.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

No lights, gauges or lights and therefore no starter no power going anywhere :bang: :bang:

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

No lights, gauges or lights and therefore no starter no power going anywhere will check tomorrow Thanks!!! :bang: :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Chanes are your Batt tender is connected to the battery pos and Neg So test and that connection may give false results
What do yo have frome the pos on the batt tender to the frame and or engine block

I think my problem is the cam sensor/ignition pick up
Letting it cool to do a hot test

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:22 pm
Chanes are your Batt tender is connected to the battery pos and Neg So test and that connection may give false results
What do yo have frome the pos on the batt tender to the frame and or engine block

From the batt tender pos to frame neg I get a Zero reading. From the batt tender pos to engine neg I get 13.15 volts. Also from the batt tender pos to batt tender neg I get 13.15 volts. :bang: :bang:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

surass wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:35 pm
FallenAngel wrote:

From the batt tender pos to frame neg I get a Zero reading. From the batt tender pos to engine neg I get 13.15 volts. Also from the batt tender pos to batt tender neg I get 13.15 volts. :bang: :bang:
Is the tender still on when you are taking the reading? Or have you just disconnected it from charging? Normal static battery voltage should be 12.8V. Something isn't right if you're reading 13.15V

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

hillsy wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:42 pm
surass wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:

Is the tender still on when you are taking the reading? Or have you just disconnected it from charging? Normal static battery voltage should be 12.8V. Something isn't right if you're reading 13.15V
It 1s not connected to the wall when I take the reading but freshly unplugged from the wall. I thought that was high too. What could cause that? :bang: :bang:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

surass wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:

Posable poor ground from the battery to the frame(Most Everything is grounded through the frame on your bike)
Jump the frame to the engine block see if the lights turn on

surass
Learning My Moped

Post by surass »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:45 pm
surass wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:

Posable poor ground from the battery to the frame(Most Everything is grounded through the frame on your bike)
Jump the frame to the engine block see if the lights turn on
How do I do that? :bang: :bang: