Where to replace deteriorated petcock filter?

Archer
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 Suzuki Vs1400 Boulevard

Where to replace deteriorated petcock filter?

Post by Archer »

Hi all,
My petcock filters deteriorated on my 05 S83. Any idea on where to rebuild this petcock, or should I just buy a new one for $40?

Thanks

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: Where to replace deteriorated petcock filter?

Post by FallenAngel »

Archer wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:55 pm
Hi all,
My petcock filters deteriorated on my 05 S83. Any idea on where to rebuild this petcock, or should I just buy a new one for $40?

Thanks
I didnt know you could buy them for the 1400's anymore
Where did you find them for $40????

I did find the petcock online
Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to have a spare on hand

Archer
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Archer »

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Archer wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392632864530?h ... SwEX1eGCBf

Here new for $35 free shipping
Good find! I know I had much trouble trying to find Replacement Filters back when I was modifying my Tanks.

I bought a used Fuel Cock from a Motorcycle Bone Yard and took the filters off.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Best filters by far are the cardboard inline type. Straight after the fuel tap and before the fuel pump.

The gauze on the fuel tap is pretty much to stop rocks.

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by FinTruder »

Also label called tourmax do petcocks.

Disassemble, assemble, repeat

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FinTruder wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Good Researching there FinTruder. I will make note of them also.

In all the 24 years I have been Modifying/Chopping and Riding 1400's I have found there's no need for any other filtering other than these In-Tank Fuel Cock Filters,.....they're all you really need.

And now I have two sources for them. Thanks~! :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:11 am

In all the 24 years I have been Modifying/Chopping and Riding 1400's I have found there's no need for any other filtering other than these In-Tank Fuel Cock Filters,.....they're all you really need.
Yeah that's great but pretty much every other carb'd bike with a fuel pump runs a paper element filter so maybe there's something in that.

FinTruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by FinTruder »

Designer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:11 am
FinTruder wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Good Researching there FinTruder. I will make note of them also.

And now I have two sources for them. Thanks~! :ShitGrinandThumb:
I'm trying to give a view from little different angle. For some reason word "petcock" is very unusual term for this part, never heard before this year and I've been using english for decades. When seeking it from listings Asian and european retailers use words "gasoline valve" "petrol valve" "fuel selector" "Fuel Control" or even "fuel cock"
So i mean when people are searching specific part especially for foreign vehicles you may want to use different words with searching.

Edit. I guess I'm lucky to be Fin. There is only one word for this part :ShitGrin:
Disassemble, assemble, repeat

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Archer wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392632864530?h ... SwEX1eGCBf

Here new for $35 free shipping
Thats the same unit I found
When you mentioned you found one for $40 I was hoping you meant the screens and it was a bag of them
Sense my valves work Ill stick to the in line filters and watch for debris in the filter
The screen is just meant to keep the crap from in side the tank from contaminating the fuel system and gumming up the fuel selector and pump and because the 1400s have a remote fuel selector. Looks cool put complicated design
One of the things I would change if I build a larger tank for these bikes

Archer
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Archer »

Ahh man, my bad. Ya, that would be nice to just have some replacement filters for $40. Do you mind posting a link to these in-line filter y'all are talking about. Been out of the intruder game for 10 years. Also, yes Fin-truder, good search hacks are always necessary for an efficient search. Good advice, ill keep that in mind.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

My experience has been that the Fuel Cock Screens are quite adequate for the job of Fuel Filtering.

When I have replaced my Jets (due to being ovalled by the Needle) there was no debris/residue/crud in either of the Float Bowls. And neither have I needed to take apart the Carbs and Clean the Internal Passages in the Carb Body due to said-same debris/crud blocking them (kinda-cuz there wasn't any) :uhh:

I put one of those In-line Filters on my Springtail Chopper because I was told to Tank Screens don't do an good enough job.

I checked it every year,....and it never showed any evidence of any dirt/debris/crud/etc. at all. :dunno: The Screens caught whatever/if there was.

Confucius say:...A waste of Money, Work and Time.

Did I mention,...Money? :ahha: :ShitGrin:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

This conversation caused me to get a-thinkin',....and I recall my buying a couple of them some years ago.

So I went to my trusty & reliable Source,...Ebay Store....and found these Dandy 'Lil Gems;

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/261611822640?ha ... SwVFlUKusz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291144216225

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114010546255

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261611822640

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372560692136

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114010545999

A lot less $$$ that the Whole Pet Cock too. :naughty:

Hope this helps Ya, Archer and FallenAngel. :bow:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

I talked to one of the parts guys at Everett Power sports and it seems Suzuki never offered the screens as a replaceable part and only show the fuel shut off valve in the parts book.
I like the idea of having that screen in my tank but cant see replacing the shut off valve because I cant find the screens. I can live with an inline filter
Ill try and cross check other manufactures that offer the in tank screen and post my findings

If any one else can do the same that would be great

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FallenAngel wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:24 pm
I talked to one of the parts guys at Everett Power sports and it seems Suzuki never offered the screens as a replaceable part and only show the fuel shut off valve in the parts book.
I like the idea of having that screen in my tank but cant see replacing the shut off valve because I cant find the screens. I can live with an inline filter
Ill try and cross check other manufactures that offer the in tank screen and post my findings

If any one else can do the same that would be great
see above ?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Designer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:28 pm
see above ?
Yes You posted while I was typing
Good find but no dimensions just seemed to be vehicle specific
Not sure if that is important or not as it shouldn't be to hard to make it secure
I did see a wire mesh kit on the last link that was promising though

Archer
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Archer »

Nice, Designer
Those are hard enough to find on their own. I don't know why mine deteriorated so badly, so it'll be nice to have a reliable replacement source. Thanks!!!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:01 pm
My experience has been that the Fuel Cock Screens are quite adequate for the job of Fuel Filtering.

When I have replaced my Jets (due to being ovalled by the Needle) there was no debris/residue/crud in either of the Float Bowls. And neither have I needed to take apart the Carbs and Clean the Internal Passages in the Carb Body due to said-same debris/crud blocking them (kinda-cuz there wasn't any) :uhh:

I put one of those In-line Filters on my Springtail Chopper because I was told to Tank Screens don't do an good enough job.

I checked it every year,....and it never showed any evidence of any dirt/debris/crud/etc. at all. :dunno: The Screens caught whatever/if there was.

Confucius say:...A waste of Money, Work and Time.

Did I mention,...Money? :ahha: :ShitGrin:
Well I guess the manufacturers don't know as much as you do when it comes to filter application.

I put a Pingel inline filter on my LC when I rejetted as all reports said they were great and re-usable. So I cleaned it out every service time and found very little in the way of crud in there. Next time I had the carbs off there was a healthy (unhealthy?) amount of sediment in the bowls. I went back to a disposable cardboard element / cartridge filter and saw almost no sediment in the bowls again.

It's the same with the gauze on the fuel taps - they will stop larger particles but won't filter the finer sediment. They are designed that way otherwise they will clog up too easily.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

FallenAngel wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:44 pm
Designer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:28 pm
see above ?
Yes You posted while I was typing
Good find but no dimensions just seemed to be vehicle specific
Not sure if that is important or not as it shouldn't be to hard to make it secure
I did see a wire mesh kit on the last link that was promising though
I see that we were,...."two ships passing in the night",...so to speak. :ShitGrin:

I am fairly confident that if you contact these suppliers, they would give you any dimensional info you seek. I've had pretty good success doing so.

If not, I sense you are quite capable of making them fit and stay in place. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Archer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 pm
Nice, Designer Those are hard enough to find on their own.

I don't know why mine deteriorated so badly, so it'll be nice to have a reliable replacement source. Thanks!!!
You are most welcome! :ShitGrinandThumb: I like helping others.

Maybe your Tank Filter went bad from getting beat up by all the rocks rattling around inside the tank they are good for stopping? :ahha:
Just a thought :lolfall:

And I have found that the Aftermarket Replacement Fuel Cock Filters work just as well as the Original Manufactured ones do. And since the Manufacturers and Professional Engineers who designed/made the 1400 know more about filtering that any mechanic says, I'll go with their choices. After all, their choices proved good as using them has resulted in my experiences here;
Designer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:01 pm

I put one of those In-line Filters on my Springtail Chopper because I was told to Tank Screens don't do an good enough job. I checked it every year,....and it never showed any evidence of any dirt/debris/crud/etc. at all. :dunno: The Screens caught whatever/if there was.

Confucius say:...A waste of Money, Work and Time. Did I mention,...Money? :ahha: :ShitGrin: